[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers, Oct 14 7PM PST, the Boeser 400

Rocket-68

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Happy Birthday Deb!

(Yeah, I know her birthday has passed.  But all those birthday greetings on the Game 1 thread seemed to have worked.  They're obviously a lucky charm!)

Let's make every game day Deb's birthday (I mean, if the Royals can have an official birthday nowehere close to their real one, why can't we - and multiples too)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Pumped to see how the boys handle this one. Odds are heavily stacked against them since the Oilers will be big time motivated and are supposed to be the better team. I'd be over the moon if we could do it again.

The score could be a little closer this time, 8-2 Nux 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Oilers will want revenge for the embarrashment...

They'll come out hard. Boys better be prepared, but if they can resist them in the 1 period, there's a great chance McWhine and Co will fold like a knife...

Regardless, we will always have oilers 1 Canucks 8....

Lets beat them again. Mon the Nucks....

Our physical guys will have to step up to neutralize the 1st period onslaught. They'll be skating hard, right into one of our good hitters. Last game one of our guys skated hard into Crysital who was skating hard, Crysital wasn't really phased but he was stopped in his tracks. He got mad and threw our guy to the ice. But he had to start skating all over AGAIN. Although it didn't knock him down it neutralized his speed and pissed him off 😆

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Remember back in pre-season when there was concern that the Tocchet's defensive system would mean dull low-scoring games at both the NHL level and the AHL level (where Colliton is using basically the same system).

So the big team gets 8 goals in the first game and Abby gets 7 goals in their first game. I know this can't continue. I will settle for 6 goals against Edmonton on Saturday.

If we spank the Oilers again tomorrow, we just might be on to something. 

However ...

The Oilers are fired up to do the spanking ...

We need to give this post 24hrs.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Remember back in pre-season when there was concern that the Tocchet's defensive system would mean dull low-scoring games at both the NHL level and the AHL level (where Colliton is using basically the same system).

So the big team gets 8 goals in the first game and Abby gets 7 goals in their first game. I know this can't continue. I will settle for 6 goals against Edmonton on Saturday.

That was a concern, for sure. 

But I wasn't panicking. The best thing so far is, Tocchet's system has got the team buying into his system, which is to play for the team and the win, not their individual stats or glorification. 

happy if we win wouldn't be suprise if we don't since it's oilers home opener and they'll be fired up after last game.. a bit worried they'll be taking liberty at EP for the ceci hit.. it's not like the garland kuzmenko and likely hughes on the ice can protect him if it gets rough.

This will be one of the toughest games we play all season - a hungry Oilers team who was just embarrassed, playing on home ice for the first time this season. We've got to meet their intensity because it'll be massive, almost playoff-like. They're going to hit us hard to start so we're just going to have to weather the storm a bit like last game, but probably for most of the first period. Get our top 4 D out there as much as possible and we have to stay out of the penalty box in the first. No doubt Demko is going to have to be sharp.

Then hopefully a couple of chances the other way and if/when we get powerplays we convert. Solid road effort.

With how well our 5 man defence played last game compared to how poorly their defenders were positionally, we easily have a chance to steal this game too. That D and goalie combo look like they'll give up at least 3 goals each game.

I think we send a bigger message than 8-1 in this game with a 4-2 victory.

• Like 1

After our first goal they are going to try even harder. After our second they are going to get scared. They'll spend the intermission making excuses to each other and looking hollow eyed. Two more in the second will make them nasty but power play goals will crush their dwindling spirit. They'll zombie through the third as we cruise to a 6 - 0 win. They have to go home, we get to leave.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, gwarrior said:

I'll be stuck at work till 6:30 tomorrow. I'm gonna try to leave at 6:15, that way I've got time to grab a quick shower beer and be seated for puck drop.

It will probably take some time for puck drop like half an hour more because they have to do the staff, then the injured players, and roster, and then starting roster