[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 4 Edmonton Oilers 3 - Final, Oct 14th

Roger Neilsons Towel

4 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Myers had a couple rough shifts to start the game and then drew the penalty that led to 1-1, transitioned the 2-1 goal from his zone to the O zone before changing right before the goal, killed that 5 on 3 and ended the game a +1 in almost 20 minutes for the night. 

He had a pretty good game against a cup contender.  

First of all, Edmonton is not a cup contender. 

That's the media talking. 

Secondly, whoever chose to put Myers out on the first shift is an absolute idiot. Period. 

Who in their right mind wouldn't expect an onslaught right from the get-go and have a guy out there who's just a give away machine? 

He's not the guy you want out there. 

Myers always tries to be more than what he is and should be. That's why he's always causing chaos. 

If he managed those numbers tonight, good on him. But he is not someone you want a team that is going to contend, and definitely not someone I'd have on my team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barn Burner said:

Secondly, whoever chose to put Myers out on the first shift is an absolute idiot. Period. 

Who in their right mind wouldn't expect an onslaught right from the get-go and have a guy out there who's just a give away machine? 

Myers always tries to be more than what he is and should be. That's why he's always causing chaos. 

If he managed those numbers tonight, good on him. But he is not someone you want a team that is going to contend, and definitely not someone I'd have on my team.

I am glad you are not the defense coach

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

The true turning point in the game was when Drais got a surprise penalty for swaping away DeSmith stick while on a powerplay, that was a back breaker.

Also McDavid took a interference penalty mid way through the 3rd he was irate about, those two penalties cost Oilers the game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

I don’t buy it.  Edmonton’s last season is saying they’re contenders, not the media.  And a historically good PP, multiple 100+ point players including the best player in the world.  Even if you don’t think they’re contenders, it’s not because of their top of the lineup offensive talent.

No one in the world is stopping them when they’re firing on all cylinders.   That includes Hughes-Hronek or Cole-Hronek or whatever pair you would have preferred.

Myers bounced back and settled down, that’s what matters in the long run.

Edited by The Duke

20 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Said it near the end of the GDT, but feel it bears repeating:

Media keeps calling our play the RT Game Plan. As if it’s a fleeting occurrence. This is just Canucks hockey now and the wins are going to keep on coming.

With a few more of these days, I’d put good money on the media pivoting to the narrative of all the things that “need to go right” are “just going right” for us right now; as if waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

Remember as per Drance " just one game ". Narrative already alive and well. Sad really.

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

That was part of my hot take - Myers not asked to be matchup + playing with some decent partners like Cole and maybe Soucy should add up to a decent year for the big guy.  

He’s always going to have his gaffes - and everyone will pile on after them and I’m not suggesting he’s worth 6 mil a year… BUT we saw how a true league minimum “replacement” level guy like Juulsen held up tonight and it wasn’t pretty.  Myers +1 and chipping in an assist in almost 20 min with some big plays is what you get from a solid 4-5 guy which is what he is.

Yeah exactly he should be in just @ 4.5-4.75? He's big but not mobile, at times clumsy, he can box guys out, with the right guy he is a solid #2 RD but without that defensive guy it's a tough sale eh. I noticed Julsen and Hirose just weren't ready. Or the skill isn't there. Long term at least. We need to hunt down a 25 yr old RD once again before the TDL or at (at a surplus) 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

I don’t buy it.  Edmonton’s last season is saying they’re contenders, not the media.  And a historically good PP, multiple 100+ point players including the best player in the world.  Even if you don’t think they’re contenders, it’s not because of the top of their lineup offensive talent.

No one in the world is stopping them when they’re firing on all cylinders.   That includes Hughes-Hronek or Cole-Hronek or whatever pair you would have preferred.

They're more like pretenders. 

Whether you're a fanboy of the Soilers, or not, that's your problem. 

Myers is a gong show. You can keep 'em, both.

5 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

I would never start Myers on the road because every coach knows to pressure him hard and fast right off the bat. Cause 8/10 times he gets nailed, takes a needless penalty or just gift wraps the opponent a grade A chance. At home he ain’t much better at low event shifts. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

All the shit talk about Myers should be over.

Same with Boeser

Same with Garlund.

We have a great team. We have what we need this year. Next year we cant afford everyone.... lets get a cup this year with what we gots.

one more comment couldn't hurt... 

Myers of 2 and 3 seasons ago was playing with Adam Gaudette/beagle and the 4th line more so than any other player... and had to contend with Green's Genius of consistent double shifting the guy. And well last year, he had to contend with a injured and washed up OEL who was a terrible fit for his style... lets not forget 4 seasons ago with Edler, him and eddy had about a 82.5% pk percentage on the number 1 pk unit... he has played great with us when matched with a Eddy like player AKA "Cole"

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Sergiomomesso said:

I would never start Myers on the road because every coach knows to pressure him hard and fast right off the bat. Cause 8/10 times he gets nailed, takes a needless penalty or just gift wraps the opponent a grade A chance. At home he ain’t much better at low event shifts. 

Agreed. I was just settling in to watch the game, knowing the Oilers were going to come out, "all guns ablazing", then they  score, and I look, there's Myers. And I'm like WTF? Who in their right mind would have this clown out there knowing these guys were coming out firing on all cylinders? 

Dumb friggin' coaching choice. Period.

6 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

They're more like pretenders. 

Whether you're a fanboy of the Soilers, or not, that's your problem. 

Myers is a gong show. You can keep 'em, both.

The chance oilers finish top 3 in the west is a damn good chance. I hate everyone but the nucks since I was a kid watching the 94run with my dad.. but man the are favourites for top 2 in our division,outside the west (Pacific) Colorado and Dallas maybe? Point being they're in the midst. If you choose to lay out lame insults over facts that's your choice. But only you can believe your "problems" 

Edited by Rick_theRyper
  • Cheers 1