[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 4 Edmonton Oilers 3 - Final, Oct 14th

Roger Neilsons Towel

32 minutes ago, spook007 said:

He could take a page out of Pete's playbook, when he set up Studnicka... That was a moment of magic and shear class...

And a smart play by Studnika.  Skinner definitely thought he was going back to Petey, and I think most players would have

• Cheers 4

7 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Thanks for posting this. 

I’m not surprised Hirose had a positive impact in limited minutes. For a guy who lacks some NHL strength, I noticed him make good plays, win puck battles, and even hammer a few opponents in close.

I thought he looked NHL ready for a sheltered role…just needs a better partner than Juulsen 

Yeah there was a play in the third where EDMs D send the puck up the wall through the neutral zone & Hirose pinched up to cut if off, perfect read & sent the Oilers back into their own end.

Juulsen isn't great as a regular but the one thing I like is he throws his weight around, can't have too many guys puck watching.

Myers I thought also had a tough game, need to get another D in here to push those guys down the lineup

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I agree with that, but he's one of the GOATS, who wouldn't do that?

Its borderline annoying, when it is all focussed around 1 or 2 players... 

6 replays of McD missing a shot... 3 replays of Drai hitting the post with one extra so we all could hear the zing...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

And a smart play by Studnika.  Skinner definitely thought he was going back to Petey, and I think most players would have

True... 

A have a hard time thinking McD would play in a 4th liner in that situation instead of taking the shot himself... That is what makes some players truly magic... the ability to see a pass or do the unexpected...

13 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Thanks for posting this. 

I’m not surprised Hirose had a positive impact in limited minutes. For a guy who lacks some NHL strength, I noticed him make good plays, win puck battles, and even hammer a few opponents in close.

I thought he looked NHL ready for a sheltered role…just needs a better partner than Juulsen 

Ahh, Juulsen... not an analytics guy, but he plays like a hammer and everyone else is a nail.  I'm fine with them so far.  They just make the safe plays and avoid risk.

20231015_114040.jpg.7e943e460f01e77d8962cfdcde854e1f.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm curious what you think he "did" there?

Looks like he had more "offensive impact" and production than Hughes despite being partnered with Cole in an largely matchup role. You'd also not that most of the guys playing in match up roles against Edmonton's better players, unsurprisingly have graphs mostly on the bottom left of that graph.... Pettersson (who's a complete 2 way stud) being the obvious exception.

Myers behind in the ~middle of that graph is a pretty darn good result really.

Tyler Myers is a high-event player.  Everything happens when he's on the ice, both good and bad.  Makes for very entertaining (albeit stressful for Canuck fans) hockey.

He is chaos.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm curious what you think he "did" there?

Looks like he had more "offensive impact" and production than Hughes despite being partnered with Cole in an largely matchup role. You'd also not that most of the guys playing in match up roles against Edmonton's better players, unsurprisingly have graphs mostly on the bottom left of that graph.... Pettersson (who's a complete 2 way stud) being the obvious exception.

Myers behind in the ~middle of that graph is a pretty darn good result really.

If you’re not bashing Myers you’re not doing it right.

As for any Dman that stood out in a bad way it was a few of the Juulson give aways, one which led to the nuge goal.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah there was a play in the third where EDMs D send the puck up the wall through the neutral zone & Hirose pinched up to cut if off, perfect read & sent the Oilers back into their own end.

Juulsen isn't great as a regular but the one thing I like is he throws his weight around, can't have too many guys puck watching.

Myers I thought also had a tough game, need to get another D in here to push those guys down the lineup

yeah, Hirose had a couple plays that changed the flow of play for the better.

Despite his gaffs, Juulsen did have a few solid hits as well, and I like that part of his game as well.

completely agree that adding a RD should be top priority

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Ahh, Juulsen... not an analytics guy, but he plays like a hammer and everyone else is a nail.  I'm fine with them so far.  They just make the safe plays and avoid risk.

20231015_114040.jpg.7e943e460f01e77d8962cfdcde854e1f.jpg

yeah, Juulsen makes us tougher to play against. He stood out in a good way once or twice last game, and it was obvious that Woodcroft would try to get his big guns out against our 3rd pair

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I wasn't convinced that Hogs did enough game 1 to not be the odd man out when Mik is back but now I think Tocc has some hard choices to make assuming Garland isn't moved. Which is great.

Yep the culture is actually changing, it's not just talk anymore.

This.... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Man so many good new players.

Cole has been outstanding 

Lafferty has been great and made huge plays in both games. 

DeSmith was lights out and now we have a solid backup for Demmer. 

Plus Suter is a solid addition as well. He's been playing really good making some very good defensive plays. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

True... 

A have a hard time thinking McD would play in a 4th liner in that situation instead of taking the shot himself... That is what makes some players truly magic... the ability to see a pass or do the unexpected...

Petey said he was just gassed, didn't even know who he was passing to. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This is the difference between solid defence and goaltending and I think it stems from the coaches more than the players. We've got some good players but Foote, Gonchar and Clarke really have these guys drilled. 40 shots and 7 PPs against isn't great, and the 2 goals against on scramble plays could have/should have been avoided by better defensive battles by Myers and Juulsen, but then on the other side of the ice the Oilers did not defend those tip goals at all and how did they give up a 2 on 0? 

The biggest thing I take from this is that it was a team performance. You've got fringe AHLers scoring great, key goals in this game playing with our stars. Our bottom 6 is so much more improved and that's something which we haven't had for a while - meaningful depth.

Obviously monster game by DeSmith but you wonder if we had a sharp Demko in net if this is a 4-1 or 4-2 game. 

When you play a team with a few players like McWhine and Drai, this can easily happen... Thing is the team never folded despite being put under pressure... This was a massive statement game, as Oilers really wanted revenge.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, spook007 said:

When you play a team with a few players like McWhine and Drai, this can easily happen... Thing is the team never folded despite being put under pressure... This was a massive statement game, as Oilers really wanted revenge.

100 percent. I can't think of a post Sedin era Canuck team that would of won that game last night. Especially, especially, with the backup in net.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, spook007 said:

They played very good holding on to a 1 goal lead. 

Especially against a high powered team like the Oilers, it's an impressive task. 

If they keep playing like that late in games when leading this team will hold on to a lot of leads leading to wins. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

Petey said he was just gassed, didn't even know who he was passing to. 

I haven't had a chance to hear post game reaction, and m maybe giving too much credit to Petey, but even if he was gassed and just gave the pass to Stud, most players would have tried to score themselves gassed or not...

16 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Tyler Myers is a high-event player.  Everything happens when he's on the ice, both good and bad.  Makes for very entertaining (albeit stressful for Canuck fans) hockey.

He is chaos.

He's a primarily offensive D, with size that's prone to the occasional gaffe. Precisely why he performs best when partnered with a solid defender like Cole (to help cover said gaffes and less robust defensive play).

It's almost like that's the player he's always been and billed as...

• Like 1