[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 4 Edmonton Oilers 3 - Final, Oct 14th

Roger Neilsons Towel

58 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Thanks for posting this. The underlying numbers come from Natural Stat Trick, which I often use as well.

One important thing to keep in mind is that those numbers do not adequately adjust for quality of competition. Against a team like the Oilers, that is a huge effect.

That is why Hughes and Hronek apparantly rank below Hirose and Juulsen! 

That is also why Miller is at the very bottom of the pile, as he played about 12 minutes each against McDavid and Draisaitl. He played a physical game (8 hits) and played hard, but the ice was tilted when he was on ice against either of those guys.

However, the thing that is not a mirage is Petey. He played almost 11 minutes and Draisaitl and almost 10 against McDavid and his numbers were still very positive. The ice was tilted in favor of the Canucks when Petey was on the ice against either McDavid or Draisaitl. 

Petey is by far the best forward on the team (obviously) and should be the favorite for the Selke trophy if the Canucks make the playoffs.

He is Hart candidate if we qualify.

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I heard McD “guaranteed “ the win before last nights game.  Lol 

.. and if any Sports journalist in this town had any real guts,.   The next time McD is in Vancouver,.  They would ask him if he guarantees another win like last time.

… but most of them in this city like to tear down the Canucks.

🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Googlie said:

And we get to do it all again next Tuesday on Deb's birthday !!!

You might be on something here. I mean, it is a common knowledge that Canucks are cursed, so this is the way to reverse this curse?

I mean, Deb's passion about the game, Canucks, and one player specifically 😀, may be, just maybe, is the cure  Canucks needs?

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm curious what you think he "did" there?

Looks like he had more "offensive impact" and production than Hughes despite being partnered with Cole in an largely matchup role. You'd also not that most of the guys playing in match up roles against Edmonton's better players, unsurprisingly have graphs mostly on the bottom left of that graph.... Pettersson (who's a complete 2 way stud) being the obvious exception.

Myers being in the ~middle of that graph is a pretty darn good result really.

I think one can conclude he had a pretty strong miscy game out there yesterday. Only Petterson was more miscy as far as I can tell. Also a little curious as to Beauvillier, Suter, Hughes, Juulsen, Joshua, Cole, Hronek ++ who all had negative offence numbers but positive production. I wonder what that is saying exactly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuckle said:

And if a player suffers injury, the offender would likely see a suspension and a fine. There's no way the league wouldn't review it with clear intent like that.

Only a matter of time before he hurts someone. Dirt bag Marchand type move.

I'm no fan of the "no harm no foul" doctrine but it is the most practical one, otherwise they'd have to replace the penalty box with a courtroom. 

12 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

You might be on something here. I mean, it is a common knowledge that Canucks are cursed, so this is the way to reverse this curse?

I mean, Deb's passion about the game, Canucks, and one player specifically 😀, may be, just maybe, is the cure  Canucks needs?

Deb will be like 110 at the end of the year

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What a game and what a start to the season !! We have hope again after so many bleak bleak years !!! 😃 Just so happy to see this team finally starting to gel together all over the ice - and have it reflected in the W column. 

Some random thoughts of the night : 

• We beat the Stanley cup favorites twice in a row does this now make us stanley cup favourites ?!🤪 
  • Hronek gets banged around a bit - but he is actually a lot better at Defence than i thought he was going to be - really happy with this trade as it stands.  Just hope he doesn't take a big head check and miss a lot of the year. 
  • Cole just oozes class and authority all over the ice - what a signing, he's like Schenn ++ and i loved Schenner. 
  • Was CDC the problem ?! 🤔
  • The whole team looks bought in and super motivated - lets see how they handle the dreaded east coast roadie tho. 
  • EDM looked shite again. That D Core is horrible - Bouchard reminds me of prime Pooliot - dropping grenades and losing his coverage all over the place. Nurse and Kane looking like they are just there for the pay cheque. 
  • That early start is really paying off - even McWinneyBaby is looking a yard slower compared to our guys, EDM just don't seem up to speed yet. 
  • All the new signings are looking good !! which is awesome, tho we have seen that a few times in the past, see where they are after 10 games. 
  • Having top 10 special teams will see us off to a good season and they are both looking sharp and dialled in - I'm impressed on the PP how they seem so much more dialed into where each other are this year. Sooo many flubbed passes last few years. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Ahh, Juulsen... not an analytics guy, but he plays like a hammer and everyone else is a nail.  I'm fine with them so far.  They just make the safe plays and avoid risk.

20231015_114040.jpg.7e943e460f01e77d8962cfdcde854e1f.jpg

For sure.  Some things to like about Juulsen.  

I remind myself that was a very talented offensive team, on their home opener, coming off an embarrassing loss.

It’s too early to make definitive calls about anything yet.

Other than the fact Boeser is -back- haha.

8 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

We're watching Quinn and Petey evolving right before our eyes. Every year they're getting better, bigger, and becoming lead by example players for this team.

Fingers crossed we’ve finally found the right mix of coaching and leadership.  

Not a surprise that it’s coinciding with Petey and Hughes entering their primes.

On paper this should be a good team.  But I’ve been saying that for awhile.  Sure seems like Tocchet and the boys are ready to show it, though.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

(will try to stay positive, will try to stay positive, will try to stay positive)

Big ‘Nucks 2-0 going on a road trip where we are hitting teams at the right time. Philly sucks, TB lost Vassy and is degrading because of the flat cap and Florida has major injuries and looks terrible so far.   Last year we lost first seven this year could be 5-2ish. 
We look like a different team and time to see if we broke the bad habits like playing down to the competition with Philly coming up. Even though they are objectively terrible they are a Torts coached team so expect a physical game and hard play. Show them we can win at that game. 
Baby Nucks 2-0. Bains and Pods looking great but Tristan Neilson stealing the show. 
The Kalamazoo Wings not only won but won with a female goalie in net!  First time a Nuck’s affiliate has won with a female player of any kind I believe.  F’n cool. 
Our draftees are flying. Willander had great start with3 pts in first game, Lekk is tearing it up and has moved up to first line in SHL, Ty Young I believe had 3 wins in a week. 
Canucks kicking ass everywhere. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 4

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Man so many good new players.

Cole has been outstanding 

Lafferty has been great and made huge plays in both games. 

DeSmith was lights out and now we have a solid backup for Demmer. 

Plus Suter is a solid addition as well. He's been playing really good making some very good defensive plays. 

I liked Suter in the opener, but thought he played poorly last night

Finally got to watch the game.  Was very interested given “Mike from Surrey’s” post game rant.

EDM no doubt had the edge in terms of pushing play.  If they hadnt how would that have looked? Cup contender, home opener, avoiding back to back losses vs the same divisional opponent.  Sweet