[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 4 Edmonton Oilers 3 - Final, Oct 14th

Roger Neilsons Towel

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

New leadership. New team. This is Quinn Hughes team now with Petey and Miller right beside him and Demko in the background. These guys will do anything to win. Anything. 

No more floaters around to pad their stats to get the big payoff. This is a team game and our team is coming together. Not to mention we have hall of fame coaches behind the bench who were also hard nosed team players in their day who would do anything to win. And on top of that we have our new management team whereby the leader of the group is a 3 time Stanley cup champion. 

Agree with you.

I was on Facebook blah.

An article was posted after the game about where the oil go.

I put the n my two cents and said they need better D and goaltending which they never addressed in the off-season which we did and why we beat them.A guy replied it's the GM and blocked me so I couldn't reply. Lol. Even there fans are cry babies like McBaby.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Off topic. But does anyone wonder if Judd Brackett was grossly over-rated on here? It seems that PA and JR have done better in picking up players than the previous regime? At least short term wise.

Brackett was an amateur scout who’s strength was finding NCAA players.

Our pro scouting fell on Benning and was terrible.

Allvin so far appears to be a much better pro scout or at least he’s empowering the right people.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Off topic. But does anyone wonder if Judd Brackett was grossly over-rated on here? It seems that PA and JR have done better in picking up players than the previous regime? At least short term wise.

Yup. Podkolzin, DiPietro, Rathbone, Madden, Molino, Teves, and I believe McDonough and Malone were all Brackett picks.

I believe Boeser and Stecher both may have been Judd Brackett picks/signings as well. The rest as far as I know were Benning/co. 

Edited by Odd.

DeSmith actually played more than a game against EDM, and won both. Demko helped too. Goal differential of 12-4 for the Canucks.

If EDM is considered a Cup favourite, what does that make the Canucks? 

All of the so-called experts rely too heavily on what happened last year. EDM doesn't have the goaltending to win a Cup, wish they'd stop that nonsense. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Fans of other teams are welcome here on CFF, as long as they follow the rules, just like everyone else.

There were fans of other teams on CDC.  I'm thinking of @Sabrefan.  He made no secret of it and as we got to know him, he became a valued contributor to the site and offered a lot of insight on the Sabres.

I was sorry to see him go.  I missed the exchange that upset him and made him quit.  It was a shame that it happened.

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Agree with you.

I was on Facebook blah.

An article was posted after the game about where the oil go.

I put the n my two cents and said they need better D and goaltending which they never addressed in the off-season which we did and why we beat them.A guy replied it's the GM and blocked me so I couldn't reply. Lol. Even there fans are cry babies like McBaby.

their loss 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

There were fans of other teams on CDC.  I'm thinking of @Sabrefan.  He made no secret of it and as we got to know him, he became a valued contributor to the site and offered a lot of insight on the Sabres.

I was sorry to see him go.  I missed the exchange that upset him and made him quit.  It was a shame that it happened.

ACD7F514-B9CB-47A0-8602-58E3F8D15420.gif

• Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Brackett didn't handle pro scouting, if thats what you mean, but yes. He was massively overrated. heh. I remember seeing people try to argue that any and all of the best draft picks of the rebuild years were "Brackett picks" and all the bad were Bennings. Acting as if they don't have an entire team of scouts working together to come to a consensus on who to pick at the draft or otherwise.

Funny stuff.

Edited by Canuckle
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Yup. Podkolzin, DiPietro, Rathbone, Madden, Molino, Teves, and I believe McDonough and Malone were all Brackett picks.

I believe Boeser and Stecher both may have been Judd Brackett picks/signings as well. The rest as far as I know were Benning/co. 

And the mythology continues.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Canuckle said:

Brackett didn't handle pro scouting, if thats what you mean, but yes. He was massively overrated. heh.

I remember seeing people try to argue that any and all of the best draft picks of the rebuild years were "Brackett picks" and all the bad were Bennings. Acting as if they don't have an entire team of scouts working together to come to a consensus on who to pick at the draft.

Funny stuff.

Benning did have a team of scouts, but he too often overruled their choices, which were based on years of viewings, because he preferred a guy he saw for one tournament. 

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Brackett was an amateur scout who’s strength was finding NCAA players.

Our pro scouting fell on Benning and was terrible.

Allvin so far appears to be a much better pro scout or at least he’s empowering the right people.

Allvin worked as the European scout for the Montreal Canadiens between 2002 and 2006.[3] He worked for the Pittsburgh Penguins for 16 years, winning three Stanley Cups (first as European Scout and back-to-back as Director of Amateur Scouting), and eventually worked up to Assistant General Manager and interim GM after the departure of Jim Rutherford.

Quote from Wikipedia.

Allvin comes from an amateur scouting background.  Cammi Granato is heading the pro scouting for the Canucks now and I've got to say, she's doing a helluva job.  Compared to Benning at least 🤪

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Benning did have a team of scouts, but he too often overruled their choices, which were based on years of viewings, because he preferred a guy he saw for one tournament. 

You mean Juolevi.

Benning was also a bit of a yes-man.  I'm convinced that Virtanen was Aqua's pick.

• ThereItIs 2

17 hours ago, The Duke said:

I don’t buy it.  Edmonton’s last season is saying they’re contenders, not the media.  And a historically good PP, multiple 100+ point players including the best player in the world.  Even if you don’t think they’re contenders, it’s not because of their top of the lineup offensive talent.

No one in the world is stopping them when they’re firing on all cylinders.   That includes Hughes-Hronek or Cole-Hronek or whatever pair you would have preferred.

Myers bounced back and settled down, that’s what matters in the long run.

You wanna crown their ass?

IMG_6972.gif

21 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

He came back when we moved to the new site. He is creeping around here somewhere. Look over at the Owen Power signing thread. 

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember listenng to an interview with Brian Burke a few months ago... I think maybe it was on the Bob McCown podcast but he talked about how the 1st pick of the draft tends to be dictated by the GM.  Obviously they use information gathered by their staff, but they take the reigns on those. Nothing outside the ordinary here. But 100% agree GMs can be impulsive and pick based on small sample sizes. Burkie said the same thing.

Nevetheless, this whole "Brackett pick" "Benning pick" is unverifiable conjecture. And until someone can provide direct quotes from those involved stating who wanted who and who voted to pick who in those scouting meetings it will  stay that way.

Edited by Canuckle

1 minute ago, Canuckle said:

I remember listenng to an interview with Brian Burke a few months ago... I think maybe it was on the Bob McCown podcast but he talked about how the 1st pick of the draft tends to be dictated by the GM.  Obviously they use information gathered by their staff, but they take the reigns on those. Nothing outside the ordinary here. But 100% agree GMs can be impulsive and pick based on small sample sizes. Burkie said the same thing.

Nevetheless, this whole "Brackett pick" "Benning pick" is unverifiable conjecture. And until someone can provide direct quotes from those involved stating who wanted who and who voted to pick who in those scouting meetings it will continue to stay that way. 

If guys in these positions want to work in the league they have to keep their mouths shut. But it’s pretty clear anyway that Benning picked “his guy” with our top picks, except when Linden stepped in to support the scouts’ choice for Petey. 
There’s a Canuck produced video of when we picked Hughes. And Wisebrod says to Benning, after the Detroit pick, that “you got your guy”. Benning always wanted his guy with our top picks. It was only Petey where he didn’t get his way. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

...except when Linden stepped in to support the scouts’ choice for Petey. 

I've heard that story, too. Still haven't seen any verifiable information on it actually being the case though?

Having said that, I don't have a hard time believing it could be true. I'm always open to change my mind when new information arises. So, if you have a direct source on that I'd love to see it.

Edited by Canuckle