[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 4 Edmonton Oilers 3 - Final, Oct 14th

Roger Neilsons Towel

33 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

nice character win.. desmith stood on his head.. the canucks were badly outplayed for large stretches of the game and we won because of goaltending on our end and their end.. shot attempt this game was like 88 to 33.. and majority of them were high danger attempts not exactly a great game but kudos to desmith and the guys that took the opportunity and put it in the net... 

side note are we done with the garland experiment on the top line yet.. he's not a fit there.. and i thought EP looked much better when he was no longer playing with garland.. Garland likes to play with the puck.. but when you have EP and Kuzmenko that is much better than he is with the puck.. he needs to just go straight to the net look for the pass instead of trying to play with the puck.

Oddly enough, the guy I first thought of that would be absolutely PERFECT  in that line was the guy we traded to MTL ( Tanner Pearson) Just does the spade work in the corners, goes in the front of the net, wins puck battles. Perfectly ok with being the backup singer while Kuz and Petey do their thing

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

nice character win.. desmith stood on his head.. the canucks were badly outplayed for large stretches of the game and we won because of goaltending on our end and their end.. shot attempt this game was like 88 to 33.. and majority of them were high danger attempts not exactly a great game but kudos to desmith and the guys that took the opportunity and put it in the net... 

side note are we done with the garland experiment on the top line yet.. he's not a fit there.. and i thought EP looked much better when he was no longer playing with garland.. Garland likes to play with the puck.. but when you have EP and Kuzmenko that is much better than he is with the puck.. he needs to just go straight to the net look for the pass instead of trying to play with the puck.

I can’t wait for Mikheyev to return.  He is the perfect wingman for Petey and Kuzy.  He will complete that line.  Garland and Beauvillier must be moved.  $9.1 million in cap space between the both of them.  Oh my…

1 hour ago, Joey Ramone said:

Desmith stole this for us, but we hung in there and answered when it mattered. Nice to see scoring from the 3rd line too.

When was the last time our backup goalie stole us a game? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

Oddly enough, the guy I first thought of that would be absolutely PERFECT  in that line was the guy we traded to MTL ( Tanner Pearson) Just does the spade work in the corners, goes in the front of the net, wins puck battles. Perfectly ok with being the backup singer while Kuz and Petey do their thing

PDG-Miller-Boeser seem to have good chemistry with PDG doing the forecheck and board work.

Garland is not that player on a line with Petey and Kuz. They should either move Hoglander back up there, or try Joshua or Lafferty until Mik is back. Studnicka spent some time with Petey tonight but I don’t think he will be with the team once Mik is healthy.

Hog/Lafferty-Petey-Kuz

PDG-Miller-Boeser

Beauvillier-Suter-Garland

Hog/Lafferty-Studnicka-Joshua

Edited by Canadian

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I can’t wait for Mikheyev to return.  He is the perfect wingman for Petey and Kuzy.  He will complete that line.  Garland and Beauvillier must be moved.  $9.1 million in cap space between the both of them.  Oh my…

The question is can they be moved without retaining beau prolly garland not sure.

pretty sure Martin stole a game or 2 for us when he subbed in for halak Demko 

22 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

Yea but the Canucks wanted to get rid of Pearson at all cost so the media would stop asking question regarding his surgery. Beside that’s JR favourite trade candidate 

46 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Skudra?   Lol.  Seems that way.  Schnieder was very good, but never seemed like he stole a game for us.   Halak was close many times ... so yeah - I'm going with Skudra lol. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Skudra?   Lol.  Seems that way.  Schnieder was very good, but never seemed like he stole a game for us.   Halak was close many times ... so yeah - I'm going with Skudra lol. 

martin won his 3rd game with us saving 33 of 34 shots against winnipeg and stood on his head in the previous 2 game 3-0 ot loss and 2-1 shootout loss so i'd say martin stole that game stealing 4 of the possible 6 points.. i mean we could also point to bubble demko stealing games for us against vegas.. he is and was the backup at the time lol

Edited by wai_lai416

47 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

The question is can they be moved without retaining beau prolly garland not sure.

pretty sure Martin stole a game or 2 for us when he subbed in for halak Demko 

Did we get blown out of the game in terms of shots with Martin?  I don’t recall him playing in a game where we got outshot like 40-15…

7 hours ago, Canuck You said:

You can tell DeSmith has been working with Ian Clarke, I recognize that style!

If Ian Clarke keeps his impressive work with our goalies all the goalies will want to play in our system. I just hope one of our goalies learns and retains enough to take over as goalie coach for when coach Clarke retires.

• Upvote 1

This is the difference between solid defence and goaltending and I think it stems from the coaches more than the players. We've got some good players but Foote, Gonchar and Clarke really have these guys drilled. 40 shots and 7 PPs against isn't great, and the 2 goals against on scramble plays could have/should have been avoided by better defensive battles by Myers and Juulsen, but then on the other side of the ice the Oilers did not defend those tip goals at all and how did they give up a 2 on 0? 

The biggest thing I take from this is that it was a team performance. You've got fringe AHLers scoring great, key goals in this game playing with our stars. Our bottom 6 is so much more improved and that's something which we haven't had for a while - meaningful depth.

Obviously monster game by DeSmith but you wonder if we had a sharp Demko in net if this is a 4-1 or 4-2 game. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

martin won his 3rd game with us saving 33 of 34 shots against winnipeg and stood on his head in the previous 2 game 3-0 ot loss and 2-1 shootout loss so i'd say martin stole that game stealing 4 of the possible 6 points.. i mean we could also point to bubble demko stealing games for us against vegas.. he is and was the backup at the time lol

What are you talking about here?  

Edited by Hogs and Podz

It seems isn't serious ... of course we've had guys win us games.     Halak, was actually decent too, just didn't have the offensive help.   

• Cheers 1

TBH I didn’t think we would get 2 wins in October the way we have started recently and with the tough schedule. 
Hard to beat a team 5on7 and we did today. The refs really tried to give it to the Oilers. 
As expected a lot of dirty shots from the Oil. On the Studnicka goal it amazed me that not one commentator mentioned the dangerous Draisaital’s (edit-my bad was Nurse)slew foot on Pettey on the play. 
Nice to see the bottom six coming up big. Great to see Hogz in there. 
We will look much better when we get healthy.  Getting Garland to third and Beau in the press box and sliding Myers (who looked awful early tonight after being pretty good night before) to third pairing and getting Blueger back in bottom six makes for a deep solid 4 line team. 
Coaching looks great.  When the Caps were at their best it looked like they were all skating as a unit, like a school of fish. We are starting to get that look. Traps everywhere, pushing people to outside and clogging the lanes. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

He was actually really good for us until he was the starter and couldn’t handle the minutes or the defensive breakdowns. 
He had something like a 10 game point streak when we weren’t getting any other points.

I think the problem was more the team lost confidence in him. 
Glad he is doing well, De’Smith looked solid last night so not going to worry about waiver wire backup goalie. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Did we get blown out of the game in terms of shots with Martin?  I don’t recall him playing in a game where we got outshot like 40-15…

no idea in the winnipeg game but i remember the edmonton game the high danger chance was like 25-5 that game i remembered he stood on his head. shots were like 50-25? so close enough and we lost in OT.. i'm not a big martin fan but credits gotta be given.. didn't quite steal the win against edmonton but he stole us a point we had no business of getting

6 hours ago, Future Considerations said:

Oilers won't win the cup, not enough power plays in the playoffs for them.  Never been impressed by the way they play the game, one of the teams I dislike the most.  

worth noting, this is how everybody else saw the 2011 canucks. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

What are you talking about here?  

eer demko coming in during the playoff bubble after markstrom is injured?? fits the criteria ya?? back up goalie stealing us a win?? 

and i meant to say 3-2 ot loss

Edited by wai_lai416

4 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Not really that comparable.  That 2011 team was one of the best the NHL has ever seen.  Best 5 on 5 offence AND defence, best PP AND best PK in the entire league all in the same year.  I don’t know if that’s ever been done before, definitely has not happened since.

This Edmonton team is not even in the same conversation as that Vancouver one

and yet, Jonathan Toews still felt he could expose them for what they really are. the rest of Canada still cheered for the Bruins. 

the perception was the same. 

every team in the league wants to play fast to draw penalties. 

Biggest difference this season so far is believe attitude and actually having some defenseman. If we could have had defense last couple seasons we would have been better.  If we can snag anther righty  with size we’re looking good

• ThereItIs 1