[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 4 Edmonton Oilers 3 - Final, Oct 14th

Roger Neilsons Towel

32 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Really? The lack of coverage on what our players are doing or is happening to them is ok ? You're ok with us not getting our own broadcast team for our home opener? It bugs me and I get why people use "alternative" streaming and won't pay for it.

It's easy 

both Wednesday's game and last night's game were national broadcasts. singh and debrusk are a national broadcasts team, not Edmonton's regional team. Edmonton's regional team is jack michaels with debrusk. we didn't get our own team for our opener and neither did the Oilers. both teams got sportnet's national "b" team. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Yah...  blatant disregard by refs... But also the commentators.  If that would have been on Mcdavid... They would have played that over and over again and called for someones head.  Truth is.... As long as Mcdavid and Driesidel are being reff'd with favor, they won't win when it matters.  We all know the game changrs un the post season.  They have been conditioned.... They expect to get the calls.  They're entitled.  That attitude won't win you the cup.  Case and point, when Nurse slew footed Petey.... Petey just got up and kept on going... Barely made anything of it.  

Petey when he first come into the league definitely pouted a bit, and it drove me nuts every time...now like you said. Just all business and so confident in his abilities. I'd way rather him than McDiver on my team any day!

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

24 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Was Shorty sick or out of town for the first Toylers game in Van? Hope it's not a contractual thing.

If he was ready to go, why couldn't he? The one and only downer from that fist blow-out game, was the

lack of home town play by play. No clue?

I think it is contractual.  The first game was a Wednesday, nationally broadcast game and it seems that Singh and DeBrusk are getting those.  Same with Saturday, HNIC games.

I don't like it.  He gets a little, no, a lot too excited over the Oilers.  Shorty is far more professional and balanced.

Edited by Crabcakes

Bending but not breaking… the Canucks have for many years been on the other side of this, where we just dominate but can’t buy a goal. Good teams learn not to break. This is clearly a function of coaching.

it’s frustrating the league will take precedence on flimsy hooking/ holding calls, even interference calls (McD and Drai), but not call a very dangerous slewfoot like what Nurse did on Petey. I don’t know what mechanisms team management have regarding for complaints to the league, but that slew foot has no place in the game. This is something our media should be harping on, every time we play the Oilers. 

soooooo are these 2 games enough to make Cheech come out of retirement…

Go Canucks Go!!!!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

Tough, gritty,  road win. Satisfying win in a totally different way from the home opener.  The Oilers dominated play most of the time, so the Canucks were "lucky" to get the win, but the Canucks did a lot of good things to steal the game.

1. The Oilers came out hot and looked like they were going to run the Canucks out of the building after scoring the first goal. But the Canucks had a lot of pushback, took the lead, and shut the Oilers down in the second half of the first period. And the pushback came in the form of playing a 200 ft game, playing hard on the boards (and everywhere else), and playing in their system. 

2. Obviously DeSmith was excellent. I am counting this as a "steal" for DeSmith even though he gave up 3 goals.

3. In the advanced stats, the Oilers were way ahead. Part of that is that they trailed most of the time so they were always chasing. So almost every Canuck had negative advanced stat numbers. But there was one Canuck forward with amazingly positive numbers:  Petey. 

4. Petey was the only Canuck with more on-ice danger chances for than against: 4-1. Also, he played almost 11 minutes against Draisaitl and almost 10 minutes against McDavid -- slightly less than Miller (12 and 12), but he played a lot of tough minutes.  In the stats, Petey actually outplayed both McDavid and Draisaitl when on the ice against them. And he played with many different line mates. Miller played well and hung in there, but he was statistically dominated by both McDavid and Draisaitl.

5. Anyone still complaining about "wasting" a 5th round pick on Lafferty? That was a great pickup. He turn-stiled Eckholm for the winning goal. He played quite a bit with Petey late in the game to hang on to the win.  The other late summer acquisitions (DeSmith and Suter) also played crucially important roles. Excellent management moves without much in the way of cap space or other assets to work with.

6. Hronek and Hughes continue to look great, but there is a risk of overworking them. Cole is good and Myers was up and down. But Myers has done better than I expected in a second pairing role. Still a struggle for the 3rd pairing, but I it will help when Soucy comes back.

7. Have to say something about Hoglander. He had a very good game (in limited ice time) in addition to getting a key goal and a key assist.

Thanks for the recap, I had to miss the game and was just scoreboard watching, so it is nice to get some details.

Petey is the real deal, I can’t wait to have him signed.  If we can keep playing this way, with the team work and structured system, I think he will not only sign,  it perhaps even give a small discount if he thinks it might put us over the top, and by small discount probably still be 11-11.5 per season instead of 12-13.  He is just that good and he historically gets better as the season progresses.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Only trade. Looking to make when Mikheyev is good to go is Beau with a pick for a 27- RD to help now. I'm not sure Julsen is it. And Myers is gone next year so fill that now, so next season we're giving Petey a raise And find a #3 RD instead with that $$$ 

Juulsen definitely not the answer. He's decent depth I think on the right side of the defense, but he's definitely not NHL calibre long term. He's a good call up that just about every other NHL team has on their farm to fill in when injuries do occur, but I don't see him as a fixture on the back end long term for the club; and when I say long term, I mean this season

14 minutes ago, AmyTheGma said:

Thanks for the recap, I had to miss the game and was just scoreboard watching, so it is nice to get some details.

Petey is the real deal, I can’t wait to have him signed.  If we can keep playing this way, with the team work and structured system, I think he will not only sign,  it perhaps even give a small discount if he thinks it might put us over the top, and by small discount probably still be 11-11.5 per season instead of 12-13.  He is just that good and he historically gets better as the season progresses.

Yea, I think if the club can continue to win and play hard and structured like they have the last two games, it's a good sign I think for Petey that management is serious about winning, making postseasons, and hopefully winning championships down the road. I'm not sure about the discounted part, but he'll get paid nevertheless. 

16 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

We all know this.  It's inexplicable how the better play by play guy is still doing regional games.

I think that it's political.  Whatever, we'll keep Shorty to ourselves

It's too bad it's become political (if true). I think John Shorthouse is so much better than what we had last night. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Juulsen definitely not the answer. He's decent depth I think on the right side of the defense, but he's definitely not NHL calibre long term. He's a good call up that just about every other NHL team has on their farm to fill in when injuries do occur, but I don't see him as a fixture on the back end long term for the club; and when I say long term, I mean this season

He's made a couple of mistakes, the goal and penalty last night, obviously, but I think he's been fine otherwise........the Oilers are a fast team and both ge and Hirose held their own in both games. 

18 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

We all know this.  It's inexplicable how the better play by play guy is still doing regional games.

I think that it's political.  Whatever, we'll keep Shorty to ourselves

Political in what way?  My guess is shorty just wants to do Van games

Just now, stawns said:

He's made a couple of mistakes, the goal and penalty last night, obviously, but I think he's been fine otherwise........the Oilers are a fast team and both ge and Hirose held their own in both games. 

I've liked Hirose! But I still think he needs some AHL time in Abby and work with the staff down there to get his game. I feel like he needs to get stronger, but maybe that's just my observation? 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

For the rest of the month we have 3 really tough tests.

Florida, Tampa and NYR.

But the team can't let up for one second even with Nashville, St. Louis, Philly.

Great work boys. The hard work is paying off. Slam that throttle forward.

What do you think is the best outcome for the team on this road trip? 4-2?