[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 4 Edmonton Oilers 3 - Final, Oct 14th

Roger Neilsons Towel

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Even a dumbass like Aqua knows they will have to pay to keep Petey. If he's ok with paying off Benning's mistakes like OEL, I'm pretty sure a star player that helps you sell out the building will be a no-brainer.

Both sides knows that... Its a no brainer...

21 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Overall Hronek is solid. He does make some iffy choices, usually early in the game. But by the end of the first period he has more than made up for any gaffes. And he seems to get better as the game goes on.

And he was injured too. 

Probably by around the 15th game, he's going to be firing on all cylinders.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Cole and Soucy played together as a pair in Minny.

That pair should be looked at when Soucy is back. Drop Myers to the third with Hirose or Brisebois. With less minutes I think Myers can bring more to the table. 

Yeah, it’s looking like we’ll need to slide a lefty over, or should at least give it a look. Cole has been terrific, but Myers looked very scrambly in game 2

Edited by Huggy Bear

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Thank the lord almighty for that... 

It was almost embarrassing hearing DeBrusk creaming himself over McWhiner and Drai.... 

He had a hard time getting over Canucks bending Oilers over once again...

Yeah. And that announcer is crap. He's as dry as ice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

That was pretty sweet. I’ve never noticed someone purposely take the middle on a 2-0 to cut off the defender (announcer pointed that out). Petey’s such a cerebral player…

Spot on... Most players will take the shot them selves, but Petey played in Stud and to out the D himself... Had Stud not scored the Canucks would have gone on the PP... it was a great play, and also took the keeper by surprise.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Spot on... Most players will take the shot them selves, but Petey played in Stud and to out the D himself... Had Stud not scored the Canucks would have gone on the PP... it was a great play, and also took the keeper by surprise.

Which obviously isn't that difficult! Haha!

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The chaos giraffe does it again

20231015_111244.jpg.a29420758d780a35b6cd954ad923f8f7.jpg

Thanks for posting this. 

I’m not surprised Hirose had a positive impact in limited minutes. For a guy who lacks some NHL strength, I noticed him make good plays, win puck battles, and even hammer a few opponents in close.

I thought he looked NHL ready for a sheltered role…just needs a better partner than Juulsen 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know it's very early on in the season but it's often hard to beat a team back-to-back like that, even in the regular season. That's a sign of solid coaching, you see it a lot in the playoffs when teams just run riot and sweep another team. In the first game I don't think Edmonton played particularly well but in this last game they threw everything they had at us and it still wasn't enough despite our backup goalie playing and us dressing two AHL defencemen. Our big defencemen Cole, Hughes and Hronek logged something like 23-25 minutes so it'll be interesting to watch that over the course of the season. At least we're not breaking Hughes' back anymore but Cole and Hronek are playing big time minutes (obviously lots on the PK tonight). 

Looking at our roster right now we look pretty solid but there are some fringe AHL/NHLers we could replace with a trade for a top guy. Our scoring is coming from everywhere right now so wouldn't be too fussed about acquiring a top-6 winger, but boy could we use a top-4 defenceman to get send Hirose and Juulsen back down to the AHL.

Still have Mika to come back and Soucy on the backend...

47 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The chaos giraffe does it again

20231015_111244.jpg.a29420758d780a35b6cd954ad923f8f7.jpg

I'm curious what you think he "did" there?

Looks like he had more "offensive impact" and production than Hughes despite being partnered with Cole in an largely matchup role. You'd also not that most of the guys playing in match up roles against Edmonton's better players, unsurprisingly have graphs mostly on the bottom left of that graph.... Pettersson (who's a complete 2 way stud) being the obvious exception.

Myers being in the ~middle of that graph is a pretty darn good result really.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2