[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 4 Edmonton Oilers 3 - Final, Oct 14th

Roger Neilsons Towel

12 hours ago, CanucksRookieFan said:

The true turning point in the game was when Drais got a surprise penalty for swaping away DeSmith stick while on a powerplay, that was a back breaker.

Also McDavid took a interference penalty mid way through the 3rd he was irate about, those two penalties cost Oilers the game.

Nah, Canucks cost the Coilers the game 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Tusk said:

Wow, the first post besides me to admit Myers might be OK if he can change his game. And he is gettting that opportunity with Cole.

Feels like @Tusk @The Duke and I need to start a Meyers…”he’s not that bad” fan club, lol. Been saying, since the CDC days (oh so long ago) I just don’t understand the constant Meyers bashing. I get he’s overpaid, but logging huge minutes, and doing fine now in a proper defensive structure, with a reasonable amount of minutes.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I am not sure who can call Edmonton a contender.

Even an average stupid fan like myself understands that a ten can’t win the cup without defence and goaltending 

And the Soilers aren't even close to being a ten. Maybe a four.

1 minute ago, Inkidu said:

Just watched that Lafferty goal again. It grows in significance every time I watch it. 
To have a bottom six forward step in and do that? Did you see Petey's reaction?

That goal is the definition of the identity they're trying to establish. 

kids going to be a natural playoff type player.

His intensity is red lining in regular season,  imagine how supercharged he will be during playoffs.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I saw Nurse pull this and other dirt bag moves at least 3 times last night..

Why aren’t the refs catching on to his lazy ass / dangerous play ?

Perhaps the refs need to be slough footed to realize how dangerous, and unsportsmanlike it really is.

Nurse is scum. He's a chicken shit coward who was getting his ass kicked by MacEwen and had to resort to body slamming him to save face. He's an average defender, at best. 

And he should thank his lucky stars he's making that much money. 

The guy's a piece of shit.

Did I leave anything out? 

• Cheers 3

Just now, Barn Burner said:

Nurse is scum. He's a chicken shit coward who was getting his ass kicked by MacEwen and had to resort to body slamming him to save face. He's an average defender, at best. 

And he should thank his lucky stars he's making that much money. 

The guy's a piece of shit.

Did I leave anything out? 

If I was the Tochett,  I would wait for a game against the Oilers when we are on the Pp and throw Soucey up into the crease position to not only give nurse an ear full of disgust , but with the intention of really hurting him with a heavy check or the same treatments.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

I get that Myers isn't going anywhere immediately. But he's the worst possible D to be out there on the first shift against the Oilers, at their home opener, after we humiliated them 8-1. You seriously don't think they're coming out firing on all cylinders? Myers is a chaos. Who in their right mind would even consider putting him out there on the opening faceoff? 

I was thinking the same thing. But, although we all criticize Myers (with good reason), he is still a better RD than Juulsen (who I like but is marginal at the NHL level). So Myers was going to play against either McDavid or Draisaitl. But putting him out first, given that Edmonton had the last change, he was likely to play against Draisaitl on the first shift leaving Hughes and Hronek against McDavid. I think that was the logic. But I agree that, given the importance of the first shift in a "revenge game" like this, there is a case for starting with Hughes and Hronek.

Still, there was no way for Myers to "hide'. He was going to be under pressure, and he was. He played the first shift badly and had a few other mistakes but, overall, he held up pretty well. Right now I am a bit more worried about Juulsen at RD3. Juulsen is fine as an "extra D' but I don't think he can hold up as the regular RD3.  Maybe if he plays with Soucy instead of Hirose the 3rd pairing would do better.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Feels like @Tusk @The Duke and I need to start a Meyers…”he’s not that bad” fan club, lol. Been saying, since the CDC days (oh so long ago) I just don’t understand the constant Meyers bashing. I get he’s overpaid, but logging huge minutes, and doing fine now in a proper defensive structure, with a reasonable amount of minutes.

Myers CF% last night was an eye popping 13% giving up 24 scoring chances including 10 high danger ones. Not good, not bad but God awful. 
Worst in the team.
I am not convinced by the argument. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

This, made quite a few good offensive and defensive plays he plays like that all year we’ll be solid. 

Edited by canuck73_3

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I was thinking the same thing. But, although we all criticize Myers (with good reason), he is still a better RD than Juulsen (who I like but is marginal at the NHL level). So Myers was going to play against either McDavid or Draisaitl. But putting him out first, given that Edmonton had the last change, he was likely to play against Draisaitl on the first shift leaving Hughes and Hronek against McDavid. I think that was the logic. But I agree that, given the importance of the first shift in a "revenge game" like this, there is a case for starting with Hughes and Hronek.

Still, there was no way for Myers to "hide'. He was going to be under pressure, and he was. He played the first shift badly and had a few other mistakes but, overall, he held up pretty well. Right now I am a bit more worried about Juulsen at RD3. Juulsen is fine as an "extra D' but I don't think he can hold up as the regular RD3.  Maybe if he plays with Soucy instead of Hirose the 3rd pairing would do better.

I literally cringe every time the puck gets near to Myers. 

I don't hate the guy, per se, but as we witnessed last night on the first shift, the guy handles the puck like it's a friggin' hand grenade. He's not someone I feel comfortable having out there, and I was one who was "hoping" he'd actually settle his game down this year, because he's playing for his next contract. 

Go figure. 

He needs to make himself less noticeable. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Myers CF% last night was an eye popping 13% giving up 24 scoring chances including 10 high danger ones. Not good, not bad but God awful. 
Worst in the team.
I am not convinced by the argument. 

But when we were protecting a 4-3 lead and short 2 men Myers was great on that PK. The guy makes mistakes, as do all players, but he was great when the club needed a huge PK to secure a win. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Perhaps the refs need to be slough footed to realize how dangerous, and unsportsmanlike it really is.

It's why I can't stand the Oilers.  They play dirty, Nurse especially and Draisatl as well.  McPowerplay whines non stop.  They seem entitled and don't respect their opponent.  

12 hours ago, Tusk said:

Wow, the first post besides me to admit Myers might be OK if he can change his game. And he is gettting that opportunity with Cole.

He's not really "changing his game" though:

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

He's a primarily offensive D, with size that's prone to the occasional gaffe. Precisely why he performs best when partnered with a solid defender like Cole (to help cover said gaffes and less robust defensive play).

It's almost like that's the player he's always been and billed as...

He's simply being partnered properly (and coached better) and put in to a better position to succeed by playing to his strengths and shoring up his weaknesses. Having actual puck support and systems in place doesn't hurt either.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If they called the penalty it took place a fraction of an instant before the goal so it could/would be a delayed call nullified by the goal. In a sense Nurse knew he had a free one and took it.