[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 4 Edmonton Oilers 3 - Final, Oct 14th

Roger Neilsons Towel

4 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

I've heard that story, too. Still haven't seen any verifiable information on it actually being the case though?

Having said that, I don't have a hard time believing it could be true. I'm always open to change my mind when new information arises. So, if you have a direct source on that I'd love to see it.

If guys who work in the league make public such stuff they don’t get another job. Go back to our old forum and read the posts where there are links to reporters suggesting as much. 
Or, believe what you like. Benning, the worst GM in our club’s history, is gone and we have competent management again. 

Found an interesting chart on Reddit that I thought would be fun to share. Given some of us like charts.

According to this chart the Miller, PDG, and Boeser line was by FAR the worst like last night. Like, absolutely awful. Lol. I am not anti-analytics but I'll always be skeptical whenever I see any chart. Maybe I'm just old now. 

RDT_20231015_1750042914277842790574679.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If guys who work in the league make public such stuff they don’t get another job. Go back to our old forum and read the posts where there are links to reporters suggesting as much. 
Or, believe what you like. Benning, the worst GM in our club’s history, is gone and we have competent management again. 

Reporters suggesting. Exactly my point. Indeed, people can believe what they like. Doesn't mean it's based in fact though.

Also I disagree with your assessment about the previous regime. We've had worse.

Just now, Canuckle said:

Reporters suggesting. Exactly my point. Indeed, people can believe what they like. Doesn't mean it's based in fact though.

Also I disagree with your assessment about the previous regime. We've had worse.

Actually no we haven’t for such a long era. We went from our most successful GM to our worst. 

16 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

People back then were so, so like .. 

BRACKETT

BRACKETT

BRACKETT

BRACKETT

BRACKETT

gioated-family-guy.gif

And then Brackett fell in love with his own legend, overplayed his hand demanding more power at contract time, and they told him to take a hike. Lol

• Cheers 2

Just now, Canuckle said:

And then Brackett fell in love with his own legend, overplayed his hand demanding more power at contract time, and they told him to take a hike. Lol

Again, your memory is faulty. Bracket was asking for autonomy for his scouting department. Benning forced out a lot of smart hockey people during his tenure. 

15 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Found an interesting chart on Reddit that I thought would be fun to share. Given some of us like charts.

According to this chart the Miller, PDG, and Boeser line was by FAR the worst like last night. Like, absolutely awful. Lol. I am not anti-analytics but I'll always be skeptical whenever I see any chart. Maybe I'm just old now. 

My understanding is they were the matchup line against mcdavid last night which would account for that 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

And yet we still made McWhiner and Crysaitle ball like little baby’s. Such a loser team in a loser city. 

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually no we haven’t for such a long era. We went from our most successful GM to our worst. 

And on that note Gillis was not our most successful either. Brian Burke and Dave Nonis did the vast majority of the heavy lifting to build that beloved team. Sure, Gillis made some great trades and signings to compliment what they had, but he inherited the bulk. People credit him way more than they should. Just another one of those Brackett type mythologies from what I've seen.

Edited by Canuckle
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

And on that note Gillis was not our most successful either. Brian Burke and Dave Nonis did the vast majority of the heavy lifting to build that beloved team. Sure, Gillis made some great trades and signings to compliment what they had, but he inherited the bulk. People credit him way more than they should. Just another one of those Brackett type mythologies from what I've seen.

Is it a myth that Gillis was our GM during our most successful era? Two Presidents’ trophies and playing two games for the Cup. Sorry fellow Canuck fan, but that is inarguable fact. And then we got Benning, our worst. 

10 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

i think youre 100% correct about this

here are the acquisitions gillis made that were meaningful/impactful for us: Lapierre, Higgins, Ehrhoff

everyone else was Nonis/Burke

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Again, your memory is faulty. Bracket was asking for autonomy for his scouting department. Benning forced out a lot of smart hockey people during his tenure. 

My memory is fine.  Benning did an interview and spoke about what Brackett was asking for. Yes, "autonomy." Ie. Full control over the draft which no other Director of Amateur Scouting has. I'll say it again. Brackett overplayed his hand and they told him to take a hike.

Who did Benning "force out" ?  Is this more reporter suggested or do you have any proof for this either? Just sounds like more unverified conjecture at this point.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tas said:

both Wednesday's game and last night's game were national broadcasts. singh and debrusk are a national broadcasts team, not Edmonton's regional team. Edmonton's regional team is jack michaels with debrusk. we didn't get our own team for our opener and neither did the Oilers. both teams got sportnet's national "b" team. 

Well they suck. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I am still shocked that there's fans out there that think the top heavy formula works.

I was looking on Cap Friendly, and almost every one  of the top 3 forwards on Toronto are overpaid.

If each forward took 2-3 million off each.(Nylander is probably the best value, he's skilled but a flake.)

Toronto would have at least $6-9 million dollars.

They could shore up at least a good 1-2 developing d-men, and invest long term in a solid goaltender.

I understand Taveres you had to pay for Free Agency. But if he really wanted to win, he wasn't like Stamkos who took

a contract and left some money on the table.

Even JT Miller has taken less because he knows that gives him a better supporting cast.

McDavid doesn't seem to want to leave a bit of money off the table. You'd figure he'd shave a little off his salary but only sign for 5 years. And see if management will funnel the money in improving the defence and the backend.

$9.25 Million for Nurse is right up there with Seth Jones in Chicago making $9.5 million. 

Both teams have amazingly talented forwards. But after 1-2 lines it drops off a cliff. And both teams are weak on defence and goaltending.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is it a myth that Gillis was our GM during our most successful era? Two Presidents’ trophies and playing two games for the Cup. Sorry fellow Canuck fan, but that is inarguable fact. And then we got Benning, our worst. 

Dave Nonis and Brian Burke built the bulk of that team and Gillis reaped the benefits. That's what happened. Sorry fellow Canuck fan but that is an inarguable fact.

All you have to do is look at their collective bodies of work: Dave Nonis and Brian Burke drafting and acquiring impact and core players vs. what Gillis did. Make a list if you have to. Pretty cut and dry.

And it's not like I'm saying Gillis didn't help to get them there. Of course he did. But his part in building that beloved team, the credit people give him is extremely overblown. That's all that's being said here.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Off topic. But does anyone wonder if Judd Brackett was grossly over-rated on here? It seems that PA and JR have done better in picking up players than the previous regime? At least short term wise.

Pretty sure pro-scouting wasn't really Brackett's area of responsibility. Wasn't he an amateur scout for American leagues?