[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 4 Edmonton Oilers 3 - Final, Oct 14th

Roger Neilsons Towel

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I am still shocked that there's fans out there that think the top heavy formula works.

I was looking on Cap Friendly, and almost every one  of the top 3 forwards on Toronto are overpaid.

If each forward took 2-3 million off each.(Nylander is probably the best value, he's skilled but a flake.)

Toronto would have at least $6-9 million dollars.

They could shore up at least a good 1-2 developing d-men, and invest long term in a solid goaltender.

I understand Taveres you had to pay for Free Agency. But if he really wanted to win, he wasn't like Stamkos who took

a contract and left some money on the table.

Even JT Miller has taken less because he knows that gives him a better supporting cast.

McDavid doesn't seem to want to leave a bit of money off the table. You'd figure he'd shave a little off his salary but only sign for 5 years. And see if management will funnel the money in improving the defence and the backend.

$9.25 Million for Nurse is right up there with Seth Jones in Chicago making $9.5 million. 

Both teams have amazingly talented forwards. But after 1-2 lines it drops off a cliff. And both teams are weak on defence and goaltending.

I’d rather have EP, JTM & QH, than McD, Dry & Nurse.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Huggy Bear said:

It’s amazing how many threads devolve into these debates. While I respect those who want to have it, I have zero interest as well. 

Actually, how do we not have a dedicated thread for this?

Bingo.  Both guys are gone & were rightly fired when they were.  They're 'ancient history'.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I am still shocked that there's fans out there that think the top heavy formula works.

I was looking on Cap Friendly, and almost every one  of the top 3 forwards on Toronto are overpaid.

If each forward took 2-3 million off each.(Nylander is probably the best value, he's skilled but a flake.)

Toronto would have at least $6-9 million dollars.

They could shore up at least a good 1-2 developing d-men, and invest long term in a solid goaltender.

I understand Taveres you had to pay for Free Agency. But if he really wanted to win, he wasn't like Stamkos who took

a contract and left some money on the table.

Even JT Miller has taken less because he knows that gives him a better supporting cast.

McDavid doesn't seem to want to leave a bit of money off the table. You'd figure he'd shave a little off his salary but only sign for 5 years. And see if management will funnel the money in improving the defence and the backend.

$9.25 Million for Nurse is right up there with Seth Jones in Chicago making $9.5 million. 

Both teams have amazingly talented forwards. But after 1-2 lines it drops off a cliff. And both teams are weak on defence and goaltending.

Kind of telling the flake (not disagreeing with that heh) is actually the one that generally showed up for them in the post-season (when it really mattered) unlike M&M.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

If guys who work in the league make public such stuff they don’t get another job. Go back to our old forum and read the posts where there are links to reporters suggesting as much. 
Or, believe what you like. Benning, the worst GM in our club’s history, is gone and we have competent management again. 

He was bad but he got us our core as a GM

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So dealing with Gillis was like having a prickly pear shoved where the sun don’t shine? 🙃

For those who don't know, Moj is a broadcaster, since 1040 wrapped, he's doing Lions play by play, Gillis called him out on the air for taking a liberal amount of food from the press buffet.  He's an ex-football player.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

For those who don't know, Moj is a broadcaster, since 1040 wrapped, he's doing Lions play by play, Gillis called him out on the air for taking a liberal amount of food from the press buffet.  He's an ex-football player.  

Moj is awesome. Seems like a good guy. 

27 minutes ago, HIWATT said:

All that means is that Gillis (may have been) an asshole to Moj.
Has nothing to do with anyone else. 

Which explains nothing about the difficulty he used to have making trades with GM's.  And why he remains unemployed in the NHL after a decade.

• ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Ohhh what was that story again?

Gillis told him to ease up on the sea food buffet because the ocean called, and they’re running out of shrimp?

Something like that!

george costanza burn GIF

Sort of.  Moj likes his grub and he called him out on the air and completely out of context to the question that Moj was asking.

Is this Bob?  It was pretty offensive.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Which explains nothing about the difficulty he used to have making trades with GM's.  And why he remains unemployed in the NHL after a decade.

Gillis publicly criticized his owner during an interview with Scotty Rintul on the radio. He broke the code and isn’t trusted to keep his yap shut. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Off topic. But does anyone wonder if Judd Brackett was grossly over-rated on here? It seems that PA and JR have done better in picking up players than the previous regime? At least short term wise.

Brackett was definitely good in certain areas. He mostly focused on NCAA players…but now fast forward a lot of his picks aren’t panning out. McDonaugh, Rathbone, Gaudette, Kunz, Makone…the first 3 definitely made some noise…but haven’t made it as full time nhlers yet. I don’t include Quinn Hughes in that list because the whole scouting team were shocked he fell to us and it was a no brainer pick.

He was also involved in other areas scouting wise. But it’s murkier on what players were actually his choice or other scouts choices.

Will have to watch Minnesota for a few years to see he really is a drafting guru. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gillis publicly criticized his owner during an interview with Scotty Rintul on the radio. He broke the code and isn’t trusted to keep his yap shut. 

Gillis suffered from “smartest guy in the room” syndrome.

Arrogance like that will lead to a persons downfall.

• ThereItIs 2

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Gillis suffered from “smartest guy in the room” syndrome.

Arrogance like that will lead to a persons downfall.

I don’t disagree, but I felt Moj was an arrogant d-bag as well and he wouldn’t win a dick swinging contest with Gillis.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Brackett was definitely good in certain areas. He mostly focused on NCAA players…but now fast forward a lot of his picks aren’t panning out. McDonaugh, Rathbone, Gaudette, Kunz, Makone…the first 3 definitely made some noise…but haven’t made it as full time nhlers yet. I don’t include Quinn Hughes in that list because the whole scouting team were shocked he fell to us and it was a no brainer pick.

He was also involved in other areas scouting wise. But it’s murkier on what players were actually his choice or other scouts choices.

Will have to watch Minnesota for a few years to see he really is a drafting guru. 

It's always murky. It's like how do you even decipher who did what, who wanted who. Teams have whole scouting staffs and they come to a consensus what to do and who to target in any given situation. It's like why even have scouts at all if it's this one man in the universe type approach know what I mean? We know it's not. Whether were talking Brackett in Minnesota, Harvey in Van, or any other scouting department head. If none of the players pan out it's all his fault? If they all hit he gets the credit?

That kind of black and white stuff, (especially trying to judge from the outside with extremely limited knowledge) always kinda erks me.

But in the end someone has to make the final call I guess. Even if the entire staff gets it wrong, it still falls on the guy who signed or didn't sign the dotted line. Good, bad, or otherwise. I still don't think its neccessarily reflective of the actual truth though. And how would we really know anyway.

Sesame Street Idk GIF

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1