[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 4 Edmonton Oilers 3 - Final, Oct 14th

Roger Neilsons Towel

15 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

On the Studnicka goal it amazed me that not one commentator mentioned the dangerous Draisaital’s (edit-my bad was Nurse)slew foot on Pettey on the play. 

Just like the refs, the commentators think it is ok to slew foot Canucks players.

But if we retaliate, they throw the book at us.

Case in point: 

Linesman's thought bubble: 

Ima just gonna hafta kiss that cute little I mean HONKIN' GREAT BIG FRICKIN NOSE!

MARCHAND -rat-licking

"You get me right ref?  Lick'n' noses is so sexy... I could lick your nose .. mm .. mmhmm, mm snot mmm.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The Duke said:

Ohhh what was that story again?

Gillis told him to ease up on the sea food buffet because the ocean called, and they’re running out of shrimp?

Something like that!

george costanza burn GIF

^Beauty!

That’s not being an a-hole,…that’s chiding a familiar someone with a little bit of humour.

Apparently Moj doesn’t understand the concept. How odd since he has apparently been a part of teams,  observed locker-rooms & even had a few family dinners with siblings, I presume? I guess he just wasn’t interested in the chummy or endearing chit-chat, that Gillis was offering up!

Or…perhaps Gillis just wanted some more of that shrimp! LOL

Edited by viking mama
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Tusk said:

my problem is we got all these people on this site now who we dont know, and for you to come on and mention Utica means you are not a Canucks fan.

You are exactly the reason why we were a Canucks foroum before. I hope you get banned  and blocked.

What the fook are you talking about?

On second thought, you're back on "Ignore" and soon to be:

Ban Banned GIF - Ban Banned - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Duke said:

For sure.  Some things to like about Juulsen.  

I remind myself that was a very talented offensive team, on their home opener, coming off an embarrassing loss.

It’s too early to make definitive calls about anything yet.

Other than the fact Boeser is -back- haha.

14 min a game

2 games

2 blocks 

6 hits

0 takeaways

1 giveaway

Nothing fancy and fairly quiet game

But oh I wished he had a snot blocker hit in either of these two games.

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Hmmmmmm, ever wonder what the correlation is there?

I hope you don’t think about the ”blame Gillis for ten years because he screwed the team”-spin?

PA has shown what can be done within two years and Benning isn’t worthy driving Allvins car.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Canuckle said:

My memory is fine.  Benning did an interview and spoke about what Brackett was asking for. Yes, "autonomy." Ie. Full control over the draft which no other Director of Amateur Scouting has. I'll say it again. Brackett overplayed his hand and they told him to take a hike.

Who did Benning "force out" ?  Is this more reporter suggested or do you have any proof for this either? Just sounds like more unverified conjecture at this point.

You don’t wonder why Brackett wanted full control of the draft? 
If this is something rare in NHL it must have been happening a lot of dumb decisions by Benning to get Brackett to make his decision. To rather get fired than to be under Benning with the same dumb decisions.

it’s pretty easy logic wise especially now since Allvin showed how a GM should be.

Allvi and Benning is very far apart as leaders.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Gillis suffered from “smartest guy in the room” syndrome.

Arrogance like that will lead to a persons downfall.

Think of it from another perspective.

Intelligent people have a problem with people that are insecure.

The insecure people tend to attack the intelligent because they feel smaller and threatened by the intelligent.

So is it arrogance or insecure that is the key here.

I think these past two games wasn't about the opponents,  sure coilers have two hickey stars, but we've been working on creating a better team defense. People are focused on the big bad oilers but it's like that parable about the men sitting in the cave and thinking that the their shadows are the reality. When in fact we need to take our team as a whole and stop focusing on our shortcomings and what we  need. We needed improve with size,which we did improved, Joshua and PDG, we needed bigger better dmen. Hronek, Cole, Soucy, who could poke check and push forwards away from the crease, and suppress shots and give our goalies a better chance to win. We added a better back up too. We still have more cap to shed and then turn that salary into a blue chip forward or dman. I don't think Alvin is done by a long shot.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LillStrimma said:

I hope you don’t think about the ”blame Gillis for ten years because he screwed the team”-spin?

PA has shown what can be done within two years and Benning isn’t worthy driving Allvins car.

I hate this gm blaming bs. They all suck until we win a cup, and none of them were really that bad (league wide -  maybe millbury and snow?).

Sure, Gillis looks like a failure at the draft. He didn’t have a lot of quality swings at the draft,  but got us horvat. If he was around another year who knows what what he’d done - good chance it wouldn’t have been Virtanen.

Benning looked like a dummy until he got us Petey and Hughes in a 12 and a bit month span.  We love ragging on him for the OEL trade and rightfully so i suppose, but it’s rare to hear how he snagged us Miller on the cheap. 

PA looks pretty good after 2 off seasons and 2 games this season.  The PA/JR combo has demonstrated their talent at surrounding stars to go the distance, and i believe they’ll execute that plan here on par to a level commensurate with their peers.   

All gm’s occupy their role for a duration of a team’s cycle. I think randomness plays a much bigger role in a team’s success than management.  easy to point to specific data points/events and critique someone, but who knows what would have happened next. Sakic looked like a bum gm until he didn’t, as a recent example.  Dubas was the best (according to canadian media) until he was fired.

If we don’t win a cup during peak Petey and Quinn, PA/JR will be dogshit too.  I am 100% cheering for that cup, and if /when we win, i’ll be thanking the guys wearing the sweaters. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

I hate this gm blaming bs. They all suck until we win a cup, and none of them were really that bad (league wide -  maybe millbury and snow?).

Sure, Gillis looks like a failure at the draft. He didn’t have a lot of quality swings at the draft,  but got us horvat. If he was around another year who knows what what he’d done - good chance it wouldn’t have been Virtanen.

Benning looked like a dummy until he got us Petey and Hughes in a 12 and a bit month span.  We love ragging on him for the OEL trade and rightfully so i suppose, but it’s rare to hear how he snagged us Miller on the cheap. 

PA looks pretty good after 2 off seasons and 2 games this season.  The PA/JR combo has demonstrated their talent at surrounding stars to go the distance, and i believe they’ll execute that plan here on par to a level commensurate with their peers.   

All gm’s occupy their role for a duration of a team’s cycle. I think randomness plays a much bigger role in a team’s success than management.  easy to point to specific data points/events and critique someone, but who knows what would have happened next. Sakic looked like a bum gm until he didn’t, as a recent example.  Dubas was the best (according to canadian media) until he was fired.

If we don’t win a cup during peak Petey and Quinn, PA/JR will be dogshit too.  I am 100% cheering for that cup, and if /when we win, i’ll be thanking the guys wearing the sweaters. 

Interesting.  It seems you think the position of general manager is useless in hockey.  So it doesn't matter how good or a bad a team is constructed - that's just the ebb and flow of the sport?

It's funny because you are also rewarding Benning as much as possible for everything he did right, and assigning as little blame as possible on him for everything that went wrong under his 7 years.

Here's the deal with GMs.  The good ones make playoff teams.  The lucky ones get to win a cup.  The BAD ones get fired.  

Your other two examples are even more absurd.  How can you dismiss what Sakic did?  That 21-22 team was constructed almost entirely through draft/trade acquisitions.  One of the most stacked teams I've ever witnessed.

Dubas is a weird one because he was a rare GM who got fired solely for underachieving in the postseason.  He made the playoffs each year.  That's usually good enough to save a GM's job but not in Toronto.

General managers have a great deal of influence in determining the success and failures of their team.  Everyone seems to get that except you...

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Interesting.  It seems you think the position of general manager is useless in hockey.  So it doesn't matter how good or a bad a team is constructed - that's just the ebb and flow of the sport?

It's funny because you are also rewarding Benning as much as possible for everything he did right, and assigning as little blame as possible on him for everything that went wrong under his 7 years.

Here's the deal with GMs.  The good ones make playoff teams.  The lucky ones get to win a cup.  The BAD ones get fired.  

Your other two examples are even more absurd.  How can you dismiss what Sakic did?  That 21-22 team was constructed almost entirely through draft/trade acquisitions.  One of the most stacked teams I've ever witnessed.

Dubas is a weird one because he was a rare GM who got fired solely for underachieving in the postseason.  He made the playoffs each year.  That's usually good enough to save a GM's job but not in Toronto.

General managers have a great deal of influence in determining the success and failures of their team.  Everyone seems to get that except you...

Sure they do, not saying the average member here would succeed as a gm.

Lot’s to blame Benning for, he made some terrible moves which have been well covered here, but he got a few key things right. If he was still in charge would last season have been much different? Clearly it was time for him to go. I just think judging him as ‘bad’ misses the reality of the situation.  Good gm’s don’t make the playoffs, good teams do. over time, bad teams should get better/good, and good teams will fall off as stars cycle through their teams/careers. 

Owners don’t go out and hire ‘bad gm’s’ because they want to miss the playoffs.

Sakic was considered a dud gm and there was plenty of talk of him being fired before the Avs started winning.  He went from dud to stud. Did he all of a sudden become great at his job? or did things just start working out?

My argument is that an nhl management team is a very knowledgeable and capable group. One year you draft Juolevi at 5, the next year you draft Petey at 5.  Did they get smarter? The sample sizes of any gm is just too small. String together some fortunate picks, some lucky trades and you’re a genius. Stick around long enough and they’ll probably look like a dummy.  These guys  are all the top professionals. Play the cards you’re dealt. win some, lose some.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

Very annoyed that Juulsen & Myers are on our team. One should never be in the NHL and the other should have been out of the league a couple years ago. 

Oilers goal 1 - Myers did his usual snow angel move deep in our zone while we were under pressure and was too slow to get back up before Drai scored. Typical Myers move, see it every game. 

Oilers goal 2 - Juulsen gave the puck away straight up the middle in our own zone to Drai who began the play leading to a McDavid goal.

Either trade Myers or don’t play him.

Send Juulsen back down and if you have to, use a lefty to play the right side. 

Lol some ppls hatred for Myers on this board is off the chart.. first off Myers is again suited for the 3rd pairing not sure why tocchet have him out against mcdavid and drai to start the game. That’s more a tocchet issue than a Myers issue. Outside the 1st goal I think Myers was fine. Even the coaches have enough faith in him to put him out for the entire 5v3 remaining. I swear some of you guys are blinded by hatred of the guy it doesn’t even matter if he had a great game or not and you’ll find ways to trash him. He can go out and score a hat trick and you’ll call him the biggest worthless trash ever. 

lol you rather don’t play Myers and send juulsen down.. so what LD you have in mind from our ahl farm team to replace 2 RD that would make this team not worse defensively?

30 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol some ppls hatred for Myers on this board is off the chart.. first off Myers is again suited for the 3rd pairing not sure why tocchet have him out against mcdavid and drai to start the game. That’s more a tocchet issue than a Myers issue. Outside the 1st goal I think Myers was fine. Even the coaches have enough faith in him to put him out for the entire 5v3 remaining. I swear some of you guys are blinded by hatred of the guy it doesn’t even matter if he had a great game or not and you’ll find ways to trash him. He can go out and score a hat trick and you’ll call him the biggest worthless trash ever. 

lol you rather don’t play Myers and send juulsen down.. so what LD you have in mind from our ahl farm team to replace 2 RD that would make this team not worse defensively?

Is it faith or is it a lack of other options.  
When Hronek is not on the ice it is him or Juulsen who hasn’t looked good either. 
We keep trying to justify a $6M contract by saying he is almost a passable third pairing guy. It is not hate it is a bad contract for demonstrably bad player. 
All pros are good, all pros do good things on the ice. NHL is won on the margins, it is won by maintaining possession capitalizing on mistakes.  If you don’t believe the eye test with all the bad passes, blown coverage and just plain bad decisions then look at the advanced stats. They line up. Compared to his peers he is subjectively and objectively terrible. 
Maybe he is a reasonable depth option that kills penalties but Cole does that, is better in all areas other than height at half the cost. 

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Is it faith or is it a lack of other options.  
When Hronek is not on the ice it is him or Juulsen who hasn’t looked good either. 
We keep trying to justify a $6M contract by saying he is almost a passable third pairing guy. It is not hate it is a bad contract for demonstrably bad player. 
All pros are good, all pros do good things on the ice. NHL is won on the margins, it is won by maintaining possession capitalizing on mistakes.  If you don’t believe the eye test with all the bad passes, blown coverage and just plain bad decisions then look at the advanced stats. They line up. Compared to his peers he is subjectively and objectively terrible. 
Maybe he is a reasonable depth option that kills penalties but Cole does that, is better in all areas other than height at half the cost. 

Sure I agree if we had other options. Case in point we don’t. Let’s just forget about his cap hit for a moment and look at him as a player. Is he good enough for the 3rd pairing? Yes. Is he better than our other options at rd for the 3rd pairing? Yes. That should be the end of it. Can he be moved? Prolly not till the TDL. So whining and bitching about it every day won’t change a thing. If we have better options by all means replace him.. to suggest we will be better by sitting him and replace him with a LD? That’s a joke

no one is justifying his cap hit. It’s just fact that we don’t have any options.. no one will take him at his full hit and we don’t have a replacement lined up even if we moved him. 

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Like 1