Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

-AJ-

• 3 weeks later...

Funny how time changes things. 

He's gone from a guy who was viewed as considerably overpaid, to a guy some folks wanted to dump, to a guy who's had a career season. 

One year left a 6.65M though, gotta think he'll be due for a healthy raise if he can put up 30+ goals and 60+ points again next season. 

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Funny how time changes things. 

He's gone from a guy who was viewed as considerably overpaid, to a guy some folks wanted to dump, to a guy who's had a career season. 

One year left a 6.65M though, gotta think he'll be due for a healthy raise if he can put up 30+ goals and 60+ points again next season. 

I have suggested we need to trade him this off-season when his value is the highest but that is more to do with salary situation and Lekk being there to back fill.

Big fan of Brock and glad he got outta the funk from the last 2 years. 
Still think moving him may be the best option to get Dak, Zad and a third line centre signed. 
His contract comes up just as OEL’s penalty jumps and it is unlikely we can sign him so need to be proactive this off-season. 

At the same time PA pulls out miracles on the regular so I will trust him to handle this. 

21 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I have suggested we need to trade him this off-season when his value is the highest but that is more to do with salary situation and Lekk being there to back fill.

Big fan of Brock and glad he got outta the funk from the last 2 years. 
Still think moving him may be the best option to get Dak, Zad and a third line centre signed. 
His contract comes up just as OEL’s penalty jumps and it is unlikely we can sign him so need to be proactive this off-season. 

At the same time PA pulls out miracles on the regular so I will trust him to handle this. 

I understand your argument, but I dunno.. 

I'd maybe consider trading him for another top six caliber player who has a lower cap hit, and who has term. 

I don't expect Lekkerimaki to step in and be able to effectively take the spot of a guy who put up 40+ goals and 70+ points, I could very well see Lekkerimaki playing in Abbotsford next season. In fact I'd prefer it if he did, I'm all for allowing Lekkerimaki and Willander to stew. I wouldn't even expect Lekkerimaki to his the 20+ goals and 50ish points Brock's usually been good for, and I think he's a very good prospect. 

If anything the Canucks need another top six player to go with Boeser, Pettersson, Miller, and Hoglander, and that's assuming Hoglander slots in as a top six player next season. Maybe Garland gets bumped up, hard to say, but I do think we need another top six talent up front. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I understand your argument, but I dunno.. 

I'd maybe consider trading him for another top six caliber player who has a lower cap hit, and who has term. 

I don't expect Lekkerimaki to step in and be able to effectively take the spot of a guy who put up 40+ goals and 70+ points, I could very well see Lekkerimaki playing in Abbotsford next season. In fact I'd prefer it if he did, I'm all for allowing Lekkerimaki and Willander to stew. I wouldn't even expect Lekkerimaki to his the 20+ goals and 50ish points Brock's usually been good for, and I think he's a very good prospect. 

If anything the Canucks need another top six player to go with Boeser, Pettersson, Miller, and Hoglander, and that's assuming Hoglander slots in as a top six player next season. Maybe Garland gets bumped up, hard to say, but I do think we need another top six talent up front. 

I agree on Lekk and that generally seems where current management sits on not rushing prospects.  
I agree we need another top 6 winger and I think with our cap it needs to be Podz or some regular miracle that PA pulls off. 

I hope we can find a way to keep Brock but ultimately 1 year left, after a career year and winning the cup.  Plus probably can’t re-sign with OEL, EP and Hronek to pay when his contract is up and Hughes coming fast for another $12M contract that is well earned. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I agree on Lekk and that generally seems where current management sits on not rushing prospects.  
I agree we need another top 6 winger and I think with our cap it needs to be Podz or some regular miracle that PA pulls off. 

I hope we can find a way to keep Brock but ultimately 1 year left, after a career year and winning the cup.  Plus probably can’t re-sign with OEL, EP and Hronek to pay when his contract is up and Hughes coming fast for another $12M contract that is well earned. 

Podz may have yet to give but I'm not as optimistic about his being a top six player over the next season or two. I'd be happy to see him solidify himself as a solid third liner, anything else is gravy sooner than later. This isn't to say he couldn't be a top six player at some point, but it'd be quite a jump to go from having spent most of the year in the AHL to being a top six guy within a couple seasons. But hey, here's hoping he does it. 

Podz should get opportunities though, guys getting their bigger deals necessitates finding ways to integrate cost effective talent. This offseason it's Pettersson's kicking will kick in next season', maybe Hronek's too, over the next few season's it'll be Boeser, Demko, and Hughes. Cap coming off the books organically will help, but when a player's deal expires you've still got to pay to replace said player one way or another. 

That's the cost of becoming a playoff team though, cap crunches and having to pay for both individual player success and team success. Good teams bleed off talent due to the salary cap, it's just the way it goes. 

How that affects Brock is anyone's guess, but I'm inclined to believe it'd be cheaper to retain him than to try and find a similar tier player via UFA. Trades are always an option, but typically teams have to give quality to get quality. 

OK OK I’ll eat my words. He’s been a beast and consistent in the playoffs. I’m seeing poise, I’m seeing habits I haven’t seen before. I can admit that I’m a donkey from time to time.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We are two weeks out from the Free Agent Frenzy of July 1, 2024, and most of the attention in Vancouver has rightly been allocated to those free agents that are either pending departures or potential arrivals.
But there’s something else that happens on July 1, besides various players hitting free agencies. Those players entering the final year of their contract become eligible to sign an extension on that date, too. For the Canucks, this means a couple of players, but most prominently Brock Boeser.
We should clarify that Boeser only becomes eligible to sign an extension as of July 1. There’s no guarantee he signs an extension on or near that date, and with his health still a little up in the air after exiting the playoffs with a blood-clotting issue, we might even call a summer extension unlikely.

Boeser is still under contract at a $6.65 million cap hit for the 2024/25 season. The Canucks might rightly wait until Boeser is back on the ice in September to really start talking extension. But he will have to be signed at some point between this July 1 or next July 1, at which point he’s set to become an unrestricted free agent.
Which means it’s probably high-time to start estimating what that contract might look like.
We can start with some basic ground-floors. Boeser is coming off a career season of 40 goals and 73 points, and the cap is going up, so even if the 2024/25 season doesn’t go nearly as well and he doesn’t sign until after it, he’s still not very likely to take a pay-cut. Especially not after all those playoff heroics.

A $6.65 million AAV remains a bare minimum, then.
In terms of term, Boeser will turn 28 years old in February. There’s still plenty of tread left on his tires, but this will be his best chance to sign a big contract in his career, and he’ll be looking to sign something that takes him well into his 30s.

A heavy one, especially from the perspective of Boeser’s camp. Because 40-goal scorers are rare.
Since the 2020/21 season and the dawn of the flat-cap era, there have been only 54 instances of a player scoring 40 goals in a single season, spread out across four campaigns.
Most of the league’s best, and thus highest-paid, players are on the list. As we comb through for Boeser’s lowest-paid 40-goal contemporaries, it’s tough sledding.
Zach Hyman only makes $5.5 million, but signed that deal when his career high in goals was 21.
Elias Lindholm was only making $4.85 million during and after his 42-goal campaign, but that’s on a contract he signed back in 2018.
Carter Verhaeghe signed his current $4.167 million deal right before he scored 42.
Same goes for Adrian Kempe and his $5.5 million.

A five-year term seems like the least they would accept.
So, five more years at $6.65 million? Sold? Not so fast. Boeser is probably in line for more than that, all things considered.
One way we can provide a quick-and-dirty estimate is to check where Boeser ranks in scoring over the last, say, three seasons. Across that span, Boeser has played 226 games and notched 174 points, good for a tie for 80th place.

Right now, if we were to slot Boeser into the 80th-highest cap hit for a forward, it’s actually be a pay decrease of about $6.15 million. But that number will almost inevitably rise after a bunch of new contracts are signed this summer, and 80th place will be roughly equivalent to what Boeser makes now.
With injuries having been a factor so frequently so Boeser, one think that measuring by points-per-game might favour him, but that actually drops Boeser down to 86th place over the past three seasons, so we’ll leave that aside for now.
After all, hockey is very much a ‘what have you done for me lately’ sport, and what Boeser has done lately is miles ahead of what he’d done previously. How much of a factor will this 40-goal campaign play in negotiations?
A five-year term seems like the least they would accept.
So, five more years at $6.65 million? Sold? Not so fast. Boeser is probably in line for more than that, all things considered.
One way we can provide a quick-and-dirty estimate is to check where Boeser ranks in scoring over the last, say, three seasons. Across that span, Boeser has played 226 games and notched 174 points, good for a tie for 80th place.

Right now, if we were to slot Boeser into the 80th-highest cap hit for a forward, it’s actually be a pay decrease of about $6.15 million. But that number will almost inevitably rise after a bunch of new contracts are signed this summer, and 80th place will be roughly equivalent to what Boeser makes now.
With injuries having been a factor so frequently so Boeser, one think that measuring by points-per-game might favour him, but that actually drops Boeser down to 86th place over the past three seasons, so we’ll leave that aside for now.
After all, hockey is very much a ‘what have you done for me lately’ sport, and what Boeser has done lately is miles ahead of what he’d done previously. How much of a factor will this 40-goal campaign play in negotiations?

There are a lot of complicating factors at play. Boeser does have a history of inconsistency, and if he doesn’t sign a new contract before the 2024/25 campaign kicks off, that could become a major talking point – especially if he doesn’t get off to as hot a start this time around.
Boeser is a winger, which might reduce his value compared to a centre. Then again, he’s a goal-scorer, and that tends to be valued slightly higher than someone who produces an equal amount of assists. The playoff production ticks his value up, the frequent injuries tick it back down.
So, in lieu of more information, we’ll end by softening the bounds of our prediction a bit and leave it at that.
We predict that Boeser will sign an extension between five and seven years, and with a cap hit somewhere between $6.75 million and $7.75 million. The shorter the term, the higher the hit.

12 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

We predict that Boeser will sign an extension between five and seven years, and with a cap hit somewhere between $6.75 million and $7.75 million. The shorter the term, the higher the hit.

This sounds about right to me as well.  Not sure why people think Boeser is gonna push $8M+.  I mean it's possible if he has an incredibly insane season coming up, but I'd argue Boeser was shooting at an unsustainable rate this past year of 19.61%. 

I point to Debrincat as a comparable.  He signed a $7.875M x 4 deal after putting up a 32 goal in 52 game season (pace of 50 goals), then 41 goals, then dipped to 27 goals with OTT before moving onto DET.  Boeser has hit the 40 goal plateau for the 1st time in his career.  He has never scored 30 goals or more until this past year.

I also think Boeser is one to give the Canucks a discount.  I'd suspect if we sign him to an 8 year deal, he will come in around $7M to $7.25M.  Good value IMO.