[Rumour] Zadorov linked to Van in offseason

RWJC

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I must have just seen this guy have mostly bad games then lol. 

He always strikes me as slow on the pivot and with questionable acceleration that leaves him exposed against fast, skilled teams. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him on the top pair that's for sure. Tho he does bring the physicality which i have seen and we sure could use. 

Everyone here seems to love him, so probably just my recollection of his bad games only. 

I also feel he will be overpaid, specially in terms of term... which could case further problems down the road.

Still I'm onboard with it - as its an upgrade this year that's for sure. 

Big, physical D don't tend to pivot fast. It's just physics. Precisely why you partner guys like him with players like Hronek and Hughes. They complement eachother.

Hopefully if this continues he commits to leaving CGY at end of season and we can add him as a UFA (depending on price):

Flames’ Zadorov goes off on team’s poor start: ‘No excuses’

Sportsnet Staff

October 24, 2023, 2:42 PM

Calgary Flames defenceman Nikita Zadorov went off when asked on Tuesday about his team’s poor start to the season.

The Flames are off to a 2-3-1 start and face the New York Rangers as part of Tuesday night’s schedule in which all 32 teams are in action. 

“The main thing is we’re just not working as a unit,” he told reporters. “We have too many individuals playing as themselves. We have to figure out if we want to play as a team or play as our own guy.

“We’re only six games into the season and we’re trying to figure out who wants to be here, who wants to play for who.”

The Flames made wholesale changes at the management level in the off-season, with Ryan Huska replacing the fired Darryl Sutter as coach and Craig Conroy being promoted to replace the departed Brad Treliving as general manager.

“Last season was different. It was Darryl. Now, there’s no Darryl, so there’s no excuses,” Zadorov said. 

“You know what I mean? You guys don’t like hard coaches? You don’t like soft coaches? You don’t like good coaches? Fair.

“It’s a new-day league. You come up here, you play hard, and you leave everything on the ice. I think that’s how simple it is.”

link to article:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/flames-zadorov-goes-off-on-teams-poor-start-no-excuses/sn-amp/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Hopefully if this continues he commits to leaving CGY at end of season and we can add him as a UFA (depending on price):

Sportsnet Staff

Calgary Flames defenceman Nikita Zadorov went off when asked on Tuesday about his team’s poor start to the season.

The Flames are off to a 2-3-1 start and face the New York Rangers as part of Tuesday night’s schedule in which all 32 teams are in action. 

“The main thing is we’re just not working as a unit,” he told reporters. “We have too many individuals playing as themselves. We have to figure out if we want to play as a team or play as our own guy.

“We’re only six games into the season and we’re trying to figure out who wants to be here, who wants to play for who.”

The Flames made wholesale changes at the management level in the off-season, with Ryan Huska replacing the fired Darryl Sutter as coach and Craig Conroy being promoted to replace the departed Brad Treliving as general manager.

“Last season was different. It was Darryl. Now, there’s no Darryl, so there’s no excuses,” Zadorov said. 

“You know what I mean? You guys don’t like hard coaches? You don’t like soft coaches? You don’t like good coaches? Fair.

“It’s a new-day league. You come up here, you play hard, and you leave everything on the ice. I think that’s how simple it is.”

link to article:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/flames-zadorov-goes-off-on-teams-poor-start-no-excuses/sn-amp/

Good for him to call out the lackadaisical team effort. That's what happens when you have a hack like Kadri on the team. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good for him to call out the lackadaisical team effort. That's what happens when you have a hack like Kadri on the team. 

He’s not just calling out the effort though. He’s putting the blame on guys like Huberdeau who are failing the team. Seems like there’s a real rift either potentially forming or expanding in Cowtown going back to last season. 

Friedman this morning was mentioning how this isn’t going over well in CGY. 

• Vintage 2

12 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Sportsnet Staff

link to article:

Sounds like a tocchet type of player. Play for the crest!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

29 minutes ago, RWJC said:

He’s not just calling out the effort though. He’s putting the blame on guys like Huberdeau who are failing the team. Seems like there’s a real rift either potentially forming or expanding in Cowtown going back to last season. 

Friedman this morning was mentioning how this isn’t going over well in CGY. 

Makes me happy as a Canucks fan to know that this team is seemingly no longer plagued by a significant rift. They certainly aren't playing like it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I would love to have this guy on the team, love it. Did you watch the game last night? I saw bits and pieces and it reminded me of what a tank he is. Second pairing with Hronek. Find a legit, basic, younger defensive D with Hughes and that is a Stanely cup top four. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Zadorov apologizes to Flames fans: 'We're playing like shit right now'

Two days after calling out his team for lacking cohesion, defenseman Nikita Zadorov remains distraught at the state of the Calgary Flames.

Fans booed the club throughout a 3-0 home defeat to the St. Louis Blues on Thursday night, which marked Calgary's fourth loss in a row.

"I just want to apologize to our fans, we're playing like shit right now," Zadorov said, according to The Athletic's Julian McKenzie.

Zadorov also mentioned he wasn't criticizing any specific teammates with his previous incendiary comments but was instead pointing out the team is struggling to gel early in the season.

After yet another disheartening loss, the veteran defenseman wasn't Calgary's only critic.

"I would have booed too if I saw the way we played," said top-line center Elias Lindholm, per Sportsnet's Eric Francis.

"We weren't broken, we just sucked," added head coach Ryan Huska, per McKenzie.

The Blues outshot the Flames 35-27 during the contest and owned 55.26% of scoring chances and 56.43% of expected goals at five-on-five, according to Natural Stat Trick.

Calgary won two of its first four games before hitting its current skid and now sits sixth in the Pacific Division at 2-5-1. Its sputtering offense ranks 27th league-wide with 2.43 goals per game.

The club's next chance to right the ship comes against the Edmonton Oilers - who have also lost four in a row - outdoors at the Heritage Classic on Sunday.

Sean O’Leary

link to rest of article:

https://apple.news/AA-cRCudiQfmqfEuQsaImFw