[Rumour] Zadorov linked to Van in offseason

RWJC

So he doesn't actually say the Canucks (or the Panthers) were pursuing him, just that he would be a player that would help. I'm sure calls were made in general, but it isn't like he was a UFA and we had a serious chance at him. A trade with Calgary would be a big surprise and likely come at a premium.

11 hours ago, brownky said:

I've heard that Tanev guy was an alright defenceman, particularly on the team before he went to Calgary.

he just couldn't stay healthy while here. Makes me wonder if it might have been the way we deployed and used our defense here that contributed to his multiple injurys. 

• Vintage 2

It seems Backlund is a UFA at seasons end too.

If they get no where in talks with him,

Then a trade is imminent,  as it will be for Zadorov.

If the Flames aren’t able to extend these 2 players before Christmas,

my hunch is they are “fire sale” for draft picks and a rebuild.

Treliving left damage just like Benning did,.

but Calgary has nothing in the pipeline.

Id like to think Zadorov is listening to our “Goldstar”  Milstein , with paitience.

Zadorov would be a fabulous playoff grab and resign.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

So he doesn't actually say the Canucks (or the Panthers) were pursuing him, just that he would be a player that would help. I'm sure calls were made in general, but it isn't like he was a UFA and we had a serious chance at him. A trade with Calgary would be a big surprise and likely come at a premium.

A trade with Vancouver also wouldn't really make sense unless Vancouver's prepared to pay a premium, which they shouldn't be. 

Calgary appears to be looking to try and balance competing for the playoffs with trying to restock the cupboards, trading a D to a divisional rival who is jockeying with them seems counterintuitive unless the price paid outweighs the cost.

If Zadorov wears Canucks colours it'll likely be after he signs here as a UFA. Only exception to this probably involves the Flames having flamed out by December or January, at which point they'll likely just take whichever offer is highest. But if they're in the hunt for a spot I imagine they'll just keep him as their own rental. 

Edited by Coconuts

48 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It seems Backlund is a UFA at seasons end too.

If they get no where in talks with him,

Then a trade is imminent,  as it will be for Zadorov.

If the Flames aren’t able to extend these 2 players before Christmas,

my hunch is they are “fire sale” for draft picks and a rebuild.

Treliving left damage just like Benning did,.

but Calgary has nothing in the pipeline.

Id like to think Zadorov is listening to our “Goldstar”  Milstein , with paitience.

Zadorov would be a fabulous playoff grab and resign.

MB resigned already.

44 minutes ago, Win2024 said:

Better version of Tryamkin 

Not even comparable. He is far better than try! In fact, he keeps progressing and getting better each season.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

A trade with Vancouver also wouldn't really make sense unless Vancouver's prepared to pay a premium, which they shouldn't be. 

Calgary appears to be looking to try and balance competing for the playoffs with trying to restock the cupboards, trading a D to a divisional rival who is jockeying with them seems counterintuitive unless the price paid outweighs the cost.

If Zadorov wears Canucks colours it'll likely be after he signs here as a UFA. Only exception to this probably involves the Flames having flamed out by December or January, at which point they'll likely just take whichever offer is highest. But if they're in the hunt for a spot I imagine they'll just keep him as their own rental. 

The flames? 

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

12 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I honestly wouldn't mind Zadorov, but I've also been biased since he called out his own country for their actions in Ukraine.

That was an admirable thing of him to do but that isn't the only bias you want him because he is a good player. I don't blame you one bit. I would be over the moon if we could land him. Preferably during free agency though.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

The flames? 

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

If not for all those one goal games they lost last season they'd have been a playoff team, gotta think their management group looks at that statistic and believes that there's a chance they could make it. Probably contributed to Sutter's firing, they're probably hoping a new guy at the helm can steer the team back to having success. 

I wouldn't call them a lock by any stretch, but bounce back seasons by Markstrom and Huberdeau could go a long way. 

Is it likely? I wouldn't necessarily say so. Do I expect the Flames to be in the mix alongside the Canucks, Knights, Oilers, Kraken, and Kings? If they can squeeze more offense out of their forward group I don't see why not, their D is still solid and Marky even being average could have them trending in the right direction. 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If not for all those one goal games they lost last season they'd have been a playoff team, gotta think their management group looks at that statistic and believes that there's a chance they could make it. Probably contributed to Sutter's firing, they're probably hoping a new guy at the helm can steer the team back to having success. 

I wouldn't call them a lock by any stretch, but bounce back seasons by Markstrom and Huberdeau could go a long way. 

Is it likely? I wouldn't necessarily say so. Do I expect the Flames to be in the mix alongside the Canucks, Knights, Oilers, Kraken, and Kings? If they can squeeze more offense out of their forward group I don't see why not, their D is still solid and Marky even being average could have them trending in the right direction. 

I don't know man. I see an aging slow team with a borderline backup goalie at the helm. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't know man. I see an aging slow team with a borderline backup goalie at the helm. 

And you're not the only one, but I think they could still be in the mix. Markstrom, Huberdeau, and how the team as a whole responds to a new coach are the wildcards imo. 

But I think Flames management also sees this, which is why I think they're trying to toe the line of being competitive while restocking the cupboards. I don't think it can be emphasized enough how debilitating losing both Tkachuk and Gaudreau in short order was for their organization, Huberdeau coming back or not. I don't see how Flames management couldn't view their state of the franchise in a more pragmatic manner. 

The Flames will get a chance to compete, if they're able to they may largely be left intact. But if they Flame out by this winter I think there's a good chance players like Lindholm, Zadorov, Hanifin, Tanev, and maybe even a guy like Mangiapane are shipped out if there aren't real solid indications of them wanting to stick around going forward. 

• Cheers 1

In the Summer, Kuzmenko posted a few pics from a fishing trip he took with Mikheyev and Zadorov.

It was ridiculous how small Zadorov made those two look standing next to him. He's an absolute unit.

Would be very afraid of this Canucks team with him added to the backend.

• Cheers 3

Wait for summer.  

I wanna see this team ride the season out and then we can splash some cash. 

We will have 30 mil in cap space for Petey (11 mil), Hronek (6mil), DeSmith (3 mil), and a few other upgrades. 

10 mil brings back Cole and buys us a guy like Zadorov (4.5 mil/year). 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Wait for summer.  

I wanna see this team ride the season out and then we can splash some cash. 

We will have 30 mil in cap space for Petey (11 mil), Hronek (6mil), DeSmith (3 mil), and a few other upgrades. 

10 mil brings back Cole and buys us a guy like Zadorov (4.5 mil/year). 

I think Petey probably gets 12M, Hronek 6.5, and DeSmith 2.5M. 

Cole should come back cheap if he wants to return, and Zadorov - boy this is free agency right? Other teams are going to want to be wanting his services too, no? Could easily be more than 4.5M per year. Unless the man wants to win. If he does, then I think this team under Tocchet is trending in the right direction. Let's see if they can pull off a winning streak to start the season 3-0? Guess we'll see. 

Always liked him, really wanted him before he re-signed in Calgary but he's got to be had cheaply, he's a 17-19 minute tough defenceman who doesn't score much and should be paid for what he is. The big question mark is Cole - he looks good so far but is he going to be a top-4 guy for the next 3 years? Zadorov could easily step in, play some big minutes with Hughes, and step out to our bottom pairing when Willander is ready. Fits the timeline much better.

I do wonder though if we're in a good position at the deadline whether or not we go big-name fishing and go for a real stud top-4 guy like Pesce or Hanifin or even someone else.

Regardless, as good as our D looks now, we're going to have to mould it and adapt in the off-season and there's lots of options, really depending on what we do with older guys like Cole and even Myers to a degree, but boy would Zadorov fit in nicely. There's probably a world in which we give Cole a bit less to play on our bottom pairing and Zadorov a bit more to play in the top-4 and that's just about Myers' 6M right there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Always liked him, really wanted him before he re-signed in Calgary but he's got to be had cheaply, he's a 17-19 minute tough defenceman who doesn't score much and should be paid for what he is. The big question mark is Cole - he looks good so far but is he going to be a top-4 guy for the next 3 years? Zadorov could easily step in, play some big minutes with Hughes, and step out to our bottom pairing when Willander is ready. Fits the timeline much better.

I do wonder though if we're in a good position at the deadline whether or not we go big-name fishing and go for a real stud top-4 guy like Pesce or Hanifin or even someone else.

Regardless, as good as our D looks now, we're going to have to mould it and adapt in the off-season and there's lots of options, really depending on what we do with older guys like Cole and even Myers to a degree, but boy would Zadorov fit in nicely. There's probably a world in which we give Cole a bit less to play on our bottom pairing and Zadorov a bit more to play in the top-4 and that's just about Myers' 6M right there.

Was Cole ever signed to be a top 4 d-man? He is playing there now but if the expectation is that he will still be top4 in 3 years then Alvin isn't doing his job. Canuck d-depth is really developing. My hope is that we get a young prospect who pushes his way into the top 4 within a year. 

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We have Hughes and Hronek who are only 24 and 26. They are minute munchers and will be for a long time. We need one more D man who can play big minutes that is young too. Willander will be that guy as soon as this coming 2024 playoffs. He’s a brilliant player. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Was Cole ever signed to be a top 4 d-man? He is playing there now but if the expectation is that he will still be top4 in 3 years then Alvin isn't doing his job. Canuck d-depth is really developing. My hope is that we get a young prospect who pushes his way into the top 4 within a year. 

I think Cole was really a stop gap but the 1 year deal means he may need another stop gap until Willander's ready, which could be a while. So far so good but we've got two very old defencemen in Cole and Myers who are playing decent mins so far and will have to be replaced in the offseason if we don't resign them.

He is probably going to be overpriced, but is definitely the kind of add we needed.

I was pounding the drum for him way back.

You have to complement the guys you have, even great teams like Tampa learned that a random collection of skill guys doesn’t win you a Cup.  Once they took the extra step of actual roster construction, which ended up moving out some skill guys for some meet and potatoes and grit… they become an elite team.

I must have just seen this guy have mostly bad games then lol. 

He always strikes me as slow on the pivot and with questionable acceleration that leaves him exposed against fast, skilled teams. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him on the top pair that's for sure. Tho he does bring the physicality which i have seen and we sure could use. 

Everyone here seems to love him, so probably just my recollection of his bad games only. 

I also feel he will be overpaid, specially in terms of term... which could case further problems down the road.

Still I'm onboard with it - as its an upgrade this year that's for sure.