[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers, Oct 17th, 3PM PT (6PM EDT / EST), the Hat Trick Game

Rocket-68

That is such a thin team over there, up front and on the blueline. Hart can steal a game here and there but it's going to be tough on them. I just hope the Canucks don't have a massive hangover after two very emotional wins, that's the only way Philly have a chance. If we stick to our structure I don't see Philly breaking us down and scoring. On the other side of things, that defence is so thin and their PK is brutal, we should have a field day. Any time there's matchups like these though it never goes the way of the tale of the tape.

5-0 Canucks in an onslaught though.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Good job spook007,  as soon as we got him, watched some of his old highlights, he was a great hockey player and arguably one of if not the best all-time as far as fighting and putting up points go.    His quality of competition, was unreal (the men he dropped his gloves with, a lot of them would have Reaves and Wilson shaking in their boots!).    Was excellent later in his career too, in PHX, one playoff he just kept scoring against NJ and Broduer at the peak of their powers.    

Foote was every bit as important to the AVs, as Lowe and Huddy were to the Oilers.    Gonchar was arguably the best offensive defenseman of his era.    We could do a lot worse as far as NHL experience goes.    Tochett and Berube are both current coaches that won't put up with lazy, and i'm sure in this age of youtube etc, that every player on the team has seen some of these.   His highlights are impressive, guy hit hard, played harder and had skills.     There isn't a player in the league today like him.   Shanny and Roberts were the last of them. 

Edit:  Wendel Clark, Probert (including two head butts), May x 2, Neely, Pushor and a bunch of other very tough players,  held his own or made mincemeat of.   At just over six feet and 200lbs, fighting some guys much larger, more then held his own.   Can see why he came in and felt our team wasn't in good physical shape. 

Gary Roberts played a similar game, made mincemeat of Ben Eager, that 230lb goon that beat up KB23 once and later went ballistic during our 2011 run.    At 41.   They simply don't make them like that anymore. 

The list of guys to get 100 points and 250 PIM in the same season has to be extremely short.  Tocchet, Kevin Stevens...  Don't know who else offhand.

Same with 30 goals and 300 PIM (well 299 but whatever).

Tocchet was a great player.  Tier just a hair's width under the Hall of Fame.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 2

19 hours ago, Joshua.Guy said:

Especially after this bullshit. Punk.

19 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Destroy these chumps. Introduce Konecny to some serious pain. 

Konecny is one of the fakest tough guys in the league. As dumb as Brad Marchand. 

Could you imagine if Bo played like that? He'd actually have to drop the gloves once in awhile if he did. 

Konecny gets away with it because he's a midget like Marchand.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

Konecny is one of the fakest tough guys in the league. As dumb as Brad Marchand. 

Could you imagine if Bo played like that? He'd actually have to drop the gloves once in awhile if he did. 

Konecny gets away with it because he's a midget like Marchand.

I’m hoping our Garden Gnome drops the mitts and bops their Midget. It would be like watching those little guys wrestling matches. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The list of guys to get 100 points and 250 PIM in the same season has to be extremely short.  Tocchet, Kevin Stevens...  Don't know who else offhand.

Same with 30 goals and 300 PIM (well 299 but whatever).

Tocchet was a great player.  Tier just a hair's width under the Hall of Fame.

Yes.   440 goals and 512 assists, to me anyways, should be weighted higher than 300 goals and 652 assists.   400 goals and 600 assists and around 1000 games used to be a shoe-in for the HHOF.    It's actually about the same points percentage as the Sedins.   Also played through the dead puck era, a lot of it really, it started officially in 1994-1995, and had been around for at least 2-3 years already, given how many players back then were complaining about the clutching and grabbing, as early as 90-91 (Mario, Hull and later Roenick were all very vocal...have a mag from 94 talking about how "same as it's been for years now" on how the stars are getting smothered with grabs, holds and interference).    Tochett played the latter half of his career through almost the entire thing.  Didn't so bad did he?   Did awesome really.    Imagine how well he'd do without it?   Same with a lot of those players.   Zubov, Shanny, Alfie, Sundin, Sakic, Selanne, Jagr, Shanny and guys a tier or two  below, got a huge bump with the rule changes, all in the back nine of their careers.   Only a handful of guys managed 100 points plus 33 or older, Alfie and Sakic are on that list, and they wouldn't be if things stayed the same.. the next generation sure took some time to gain traction in the 2000's.  Pretty obvious really.   Sure would have loved to see Bure play out a full career and watched him play at least a few seasons without a redline.    Jagr would of had ALL the hardware if it wasn't for Thorton's  post lockout, one year explosion. 

Too bad it's mostly about points.   Courage and nasty, a winner.  And kept it up playing on some pretty mediocre teams late in his career.    Keith Tckchuk and Roenick probably deserve to get in before Tocchet.   I'd still rather have Tochett on my team than either Sedin during that era though, unpopular maybe, but it took the rule changes for their game to shine.   And before anyone brings up goalies, he sure ventilated a lot of good ones, including Broduer at the peak of his powers while in PHX, playoffs, wrapping up his career. 

His 112 playoff points are 13 more then Linden ..  And 80th all-time, one below Datsyuk, and one ahead of Rod the Bod, another fringe HHOF player. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I hope somebody shows the locker room that cheap hit before game. 

Yep.   Sure EP remembers, and you can bet stuff like that motivates you in the gym.   EPs stronger, wouldn't surprise me if he's got his number burned into his mind, and will have his head on a swivel (possible match up?).   Thing I love about about our current lineup, is at any given night either Millers or EPs line can shine.    PHI isn't an easy out.    Expect this to be an exciting chippy game.  And just for good luck GCG! 

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

That is such a thin team over there, up front and on the blueline. Hart can steal a game here and there but it's going to be tough on them. I just hope the Canucks don't have a massive hangover after two very emotional wins, that's the only way Philly have a chance. If we stick to our structure I don't see Philly breaking us down and scoring. On the other side of things, that defence is so thin and their PK is brutal, we should have a field day. Any time there's matchups like these though it never goes the way of the tale of the tape.

5-0 Canucks in an onslaught though.

Didn't quite realize how awful that team is outside of their goalie. And they have their top two D injured (Ryan Ellis + Ristolainen). 

JOEL FARABEE

SEAN COUTURIER

TYSON FOERSTER

OWEN TIPPETT

MORGAN FROST

CAM ATKINSON

SCOTT LAUGHTON

NOAH CATES

TRAVIS KONECNY

NICOLAS DESLAURIERS

RYAN POEHLING

GARNET HATHAWAY

Defensive Pairings

CAM YORK

TRAVIS SANHEIM

MARC STAAL

SEAN WALKER

EMIL ANDRAE

NICK SEELER

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yes.   440 goals and 512 assists, to me anyways, should be weighted higher than 300 goals and 652 assists.   400 goals and 600 assists and around 1000 games used to be a shoe-in for the HHOF.    It's actually about the same points percentage as the Sedins.   Also played through the dead puck era, a lot of it really, it started officially in 1994-1995, and had been around for at least 2-3 years already, given how many players back then were complaining about the clutching and grabbing, as early as 90-91 (Mario, Hull and later Roenick were all very vocal...have a mag from 94 talking about how "same as it's been for years now" on how the stars are getting smothered with grabs, holds and interference).    Tochett played the latter half of his career through almost the entire thing.  Didn't so bad did he?   Did awesome really.    Imagine how well he'd do without it?   Same with a lot of those players.   Zubov, Shanny, Alfie, Sundin, Sakic, Selanne, Jagr, Shanny and guys a tier or two  below, got a huge bump with the rule changes, all in the back nine of their careers.   Only a handful of guys managed 100 points plus 33 or older, Alfie and Sakic are on that list, and they wouldn't be if things stayed the same.. the next generation sure took some time to gain traction in the 2000's.  Pretty obvious really.   Sure would have loved to see Bure play out a full career and watched him play at least a few seasons without a redline.    Jagr would of had ALL the hardware if it wasn't for Thorton's  post lockout, one year explosion. 

Too bad it's mostly about points.   Courage and nasty, a winner.  And kept it up playing on some pretty mediocre teams late in his career.    Keith Tckchuk and Roenick probably deserve to get in before Tocchet.   I'd still rather have Tochett on my team than either Sedin during that era though, unpopular maybe, but it took the rule changes for their game to shine.   And before anyone brings up goalies, he sure ventilated a lot of good ones, including Broduer at the peak of his powers while in PHX, playoffs, wrapping up his career. 

His 112 playoff points are 13 more then Linden ..  And 80th all-time, one below Datsyuk, and one ahead of Rod the Bod, another fringe HHOF player. 

Growing up during Tocchets era, I don't consider him a "fringe" HHOF player.  He was good (though a dbag), but his numbers are skewed by playing in a high offense era.

18 hours ago, -dlc- said:

So excited for this game (every game). It's nice to feel some cautious optimism instead of cautious pessimism.

No matter what, if these guys put in the effort each game they'll have a chance to win. Don't get too comfortable or celebrate what they've done or it slides quickly. 

I'm sure Coach Tocchet has them ready and aware.

3:00 starts are not appreciated!! But at least I'm working from home right now so can catch the game.

Let's go!!!

Every day is your B-Day, when the Canucks play.    Cautious optimism.   That's a good way to put it.    If we go 3-2 given the difficult road trip, that's actually not bad at all.  4-2 to start the season would be a breath of fresh air, so hope folks are grounded.    Hope to see us build on the first two games, one was great, the other we got a little lucky.  Hockey over a full season tends to even out.    We will lose some games we should have won, and win some we probably shouldn't have.  McWhiner's and Drasaitl's pouty pout worked against them and the hockey gods made them pay.    

Really looking forward to Soucy's regular season debut.    Hopefully, no rust.    Was the guy highest on my wish list last summer, thanks to his interest in working with our coaching staff (Foote and Gonchar, learning from them and he's a Tochett type of guy too) it worked out (for sure weren't the only team interested in him a lot were!).    Expect it won't take long (first time he stands a guy up like Rob Blake used to) for him to become a fan favourite. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Wearing my skate jersey to work today... 

Gonna have to get creative around 3pm to listen to the game 

one of the rare occasions that living in Alberta is fortuitous. my work day ends at 4:00, so I'll have to listen to the first period on the way home but it'll be nice to have the game done by 6:30-7:00 instead of 10:30-11:00. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Don't underestimate them. Play hard, play smart. Keep the winning streak alive!

Chicago just beat the Leafs 4-1 with a pretty thin lineup. Canucks have a history of playing down to their opponents level, so I’m looking forward to seeing what kind of effort they put in this afternoon. 

Dumb start time, it’s going to be really hard to pretend I’m working for a couple hours!

• Upvote 1