The Housing Shortage

-dlc-

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

Bob.......I did not rely on the Government ....I made it happen. Me...myself! I slept on a rolled up carpet as a bed, with a sleeping bag, as I wanted to be in the same town as my girlfriend.....worked 2 minimum paying jobs at 1 time, and did not do much other than work. Then my girlfriend and I moved in together. 

I like the high speed rail idea.....but Bob......that does not, answer the question of sacrifice...aka moving

Personally....I think parents are part of the problem, because they don't want their kids moving a way.........I mean.............Man!

Ah my friend, the government did finance that highway you took tho. Rail is no different, big public works can define a region, even a country to a large degree.

I understand what you're saying, but we need to open up more lands access than we have right now.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

Oh..... for Christ sakes!

1716 Willow Brook Cres, Dawson Creek...........3 bedroom 1 bath.............$159,000

9033 Elwood drive, Dawson Creek...................2 bedroom 1 bath.............$207,500

1064 93rd Ave, Dawson Creek...........................5 bedroom 2 bath............$295,000

832 104 Ave, Dawson Creek...............................4 bedroom 2 bath............$222,900

And the list goes on and on

You missed my point.  It is becoming obvious you are an alt troll.

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

LOL, well if all that defined pension plan does is pay the rent, which he could have paid for 20 years earlier, then I am confused to where he is better off? Do not other places have jobs that have pensions as a part of employment?

You are clueless and a troll.   Do you know what a defined pension plan is?

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

25 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Hey I have a defined pension plan from many years in the forest industry and there is no way it covers my rent. However it does keep me fed along with CPP and OAS. It is not enough to buy a house and eat but if you already own and have a small mortgage or none you get by. 

Edited by Spur1
  • Upvote 1

Man, those BC NDP guys sure are slackers!  :classic_rolleyes:

B.C. greenlights thousands of new homes in Metro Vancouver

Posted March 19, 2024 12:43 pm.

The B.C. government has made another pre-election housing announcement, this time as part of its Community Housing Fund.

Premier David Eby says 17 more projects have been approved, creating nearly 2,000 affordable rental homes in Metro Vancouver.

“Today’s announcement of these 2,000 additional homes, affordable for people … is just part of the work that we’re doing on housing. There is no one solution to the housing crisis, we have to come at this from so many different angles,” he said Tuesday.

“These are new homes for families and seniors, new homes for former youth in care and women fleeing violence. Everything from townhomes, smaller developments, to huge, multi-unit developments.”

Eby made the announcement at the construction site for an affordable housing development in Surrey, saying the latest round of funding will bring much-needed homes to every region of the province.

The new homes are being made possible by partnerships between the province and local non-profits, the government explains.

The Community Housing Fund is part of a $19-billion housing investment by the provincial government. The goal of the program is to create 20,000 homes province-wide by the year 2032.

“[It] is a fund that’s really dedicated for people who are living on those fixed incomes, people who are at risk of homelessness, to be able to get into housing,” Eby added.

The province explains CHF program developments see 70 per cent of residents “pay rent geared to income, where rent is generally based on 30 per cent of household income.”

The remaining units are offered at or below market rates for those with moderate incomes

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/03/19/bc-housing-new-rentals-metro-van/

59 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Man, those BC NDP guys sure are slackers!  :classic_rolleyes:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/03/19/bc-housing-new-rentals-metro-van/

2000 homes isn't much but it's a nice start. Doesn't do anything for people who don't qualify for the program, and it's 3.3 billion not 19 according to the BC housing website. https://www.bchousing.org/projects-partners/Building-BC/CHF

But it's better than the plan to plan for a new hospital.

38 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

2000 homes isn't much but it's a nice start. Doesn't do anything for people who don't qualify for the program, and it's 3.3 billion not 19 according to the BC housing website. https://www.bchousing.org/projects-partners/Building-BC/CHF

But it's better than the plan to plan for a new hospital.

Mein gott!  Is that praise of the BC NDP I see in your post?

Who are you and what did you do to Jimmy?  :classic_ninja:

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

You keep going on about Dawson Creek, but I know Dawson pretty well, I live there. My partner's a fourth or fifth generation local, odds are you're not going to know it better.  

Yes, housing is cheaper here, but there's a caveat to that. Dawson Creek is a popular hub or immigrants precisely because housing is less expensive. Younger folks are also already doing what you've said, in fact they've been doing it for a while. Thing is, Dawson Creek is a small town of roughly 12k, it's housing options aren't unlimited. Nor are it's community resources or local infrastructure. The general feeling amongst folks I know up here is that the province doesn't really give as much of a shit about northern communities. 

As demand rises it's likely prices will too. 

As for don't spend money, I don't go throwing money around, but that doesn't change the fact that costs of living outpace the income of many. It's not all frivolous spending, things are tighter financially for most people than they were prior to Covid and wages have not kept pace. 

None of the doctors in town are taking on new patients for example, and it's rare to hear about positive hospital experiences. It's not unusual for folks to have to drive four or five hours (weather depending) through the pine pass in order to access care in Prince George. It's not as if we can just hop skip across the Alberta border, it's more complicated than that because of interprovincial yadda yadda yadda. 

It's also not as simple as move north or move east, a lot of jobs can't be done remotely, and people have families, communities, and other obligations to consider. Not everyone has the brain, learning style, or skill set for trades either, that's not the surefire solution you seem to think it is. There are needs elsewhere anyway, the Canadian population is aging, a lot of the work force is aging, there will needs to be replacements. Thing is, if folks can't afford to live in certain areas, where are those replacements going to live?

I was born and raised in Nanaimo, I know the island very well, a lot of the demographic on the island is on the older side. Newly wed or nearly dead is the saying, thing is, if younger professionals are priced out who is going to care for all these aging folks? An exodus of young folk from larger cities and towns isn't necessarily a good thing. Nor is an exodus of young professionals from the country in general. 

The idea of pushing folks north just to have a chance at home ownership is troubling, the millennial generation is now the largest age cohort in Canada, Canada's workforce is aging. There's no getting around the fact that younger, but not exclusively younger, demographics are going to need to be able to afford housing all over Canada. 

About Dawson Creek..........I know the market up there, as well. There are plenty of houses of all values. In saying that, there are plenty of houses in Williams Lake, PG, Quesnel, etc...all of them have entry level houses. 

But I will concede, that the high tech jobs are not in those places, and that it is not as simple as I state. What I am trying to get at is there are options, but in other parts of BC and other provinces.

It is not ideal, it comes with sacrifice, and it is not guaranteed......but life isn't.

I guess, my point is that there are options......whether you or anyone else takes them, is a personal choice. I am just a believer that one must take control of their own life and not wait for someone else to fix your problem. (Government included)

I also know many young adults that work their arse off, some have houses, some don't. Like you say, it isn't easy, and I was probably too tough on my original statement, but it never has been easy. I hope there is an answer.....like I suggest, maybe the government should open up more land, so that land values come down. the biggest  problem I see with that is water, and dams......most communities have a finite amount to water........it is a mess for sure!

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Ah my friend, the government did finance that highway you took tho. Rail is no different, big public works can define a region, even a country to a large degree.

I understand what you're saying, but we need to open up more lands access than we have right now.

I agree Bob. But as I stated to Coconuts, the next BIG issue with that is water and dams........communities only have so much surplus water....it's a problem

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

LOL.....you really are a Arrogant Worm.....lol

Yes, I know what a Defined pension Plan is.............I have one! lol

I was also part of our Pension committee .....lol

My point was that........if the amount of the Defined pension only pays the rent, because, your son rents his entire life, he is not further ahead, and actually further behind.....

I say "IF"

• ThereItIs 1

55 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Mein gott!  Is that praise of the BC NDP I see in your post?

Who are you and what did you do to Jimmy?  :classic_ninja:

Credit where it's due. I really don't care about crusty vs Hodor, etc just get stuff done.

• Cheers 2

Something that I have eluded to in my recent posts, is that it is a fine to demand more housing, but when does it stop, and as the population increases, where do we get the water?

Most communities have a finite amount of water.........I am just not sure we have the ability to increase the amount of water we need.......

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

5 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Something that I have eluded to in my recent posts, is that it is a fine to demand more housing, but when does it stop, and as the population increases, where do we get the water?

Most communities have a finite amount of water.........I am just not sure we have the ability to increase the amount of water we need.......

Infinite Liberal tears!!

Or Conservative tears, if you happen to be humour deficient!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Desalination plants. 

7 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I wasn't born wealthy and neither was my wife.  We have worked hard for everything we have.   We are not rich but luckily we can afford the things we want.

My parents were born in Sask in 1927 and 1933.  They went thru real hardships that thankfully none of us will ever know.  My Dad grew up on a farm  There were years of drought back then and sometime they had to go without food. 

My grandmother used to make bread without yeast as it was too expensive and that's what they would eat for days. 

He left home at 15-16 with friends and farmed in Texas and Oklahoma for people.  Then was a logger in northern Ontario in winter where they had to saw trees by hand. 

Then joined the Navy and was wounded in Korea.  Thankfully they settled in BC and he worked in a mine then became a heavy duty mechanic.

My Mom's Dad died when she was young and a brother died in WW2.  My Grandmother was left raise 6 kids on her own.

That is the kind of stories that made Canada.

I feel lucky I never had to go thru anything like that and neither did my son.

I will never begrudge people who worked hard for what they have.

You are a Boomer like me. An earlier poster did a nice job of outlining the challenges his generation are faced with. Yes, the Boomers were a generation with a growing demographic and our parents structured a society that assumed that would continue. They didn’t want their kids to experience a depression or global war. As Boomers we experienced 20% bank rates that bankrupted many businesses and people. Generally our governments did not cut spending the

same way our governments today do not cut their spending. The people in their 40’s and 50’s are not Boomers and yet they continue to spend as if the economics of the country are a magical mystery tour. 

What the young people today are experiencing with rising cost and inflated valuations has been in the works for several generations. Realistic assessments of the country’s finances rarely happen and politicians are to willing to sacrifice the future for the sake of ill advised votes. The countries finances only become political when politicians decide to deficit spend. Deferring the obligation to pay onto future generations is a very limiting future for those people. When the NDP add social services to the cost of an economy then how those services are paid for is critical. If the NDP truly believe they can make industry or rich people pay for these costs then put it on the table with concrete numbers and where the money is coming from. What is their fallback position if there is a negative fallout to such expenditure? Proposing new services is a needed process. It educates citizens to realistic expectations and can provide a long term planning process which can led to solid outcomes.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Desalination plants. 

We are sure spending a lot of money! LOL

I mean, high speed rail, Desalination plants

Just curious, but where do we get all the workers to build all this stuff?

Just now, JIAHN said:

We are sure spending a lot of money! LOL

I mean, high speed rail, Desalination plants

Just curious, but where do we get all the workers to build all this stuff?

Parents basements?

Immigration is the answer. We still have so much promise in this country to be tapped into. 

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Boudrias said:

You are a Boomer like me. An earlier poster did a nice job of outlining the challenges his generation are faced with. Yes, the Boomers were a generation with a growing demographic and our parents structured a society that assumed that would continue. They didn’t want their kids to experience a depression or global war. As Boomers we experienced 20% bank rates that bankrupted many businesses and people. Generally our governments did not cut spending the

same way our governments today do not cut their spending. The people in their 40’s and 50’s are not Boomers and yet they continue to spend as if the economics of the country are a magical mystery tour. 

What the young people today are experiencing with rising cost and inflated valuations has been in the works for several generations. Realistic assessments of the country’s finances rarely happen and politicians are to willing to sacrifice the future for the sake of ill advised votes. The countries finances only become political when politicians decide to deficit spend. Deferring the obligation to pay onto future generations is a very limiting future for those people. When the NDP add social services to the cost of an economy then how those services are paid for is critical. If the NDP truly believe they can make industry or rich people pay for these costs then put it on the table with concrete numbers and where the money is coming from. What is their fallback position if there is a negative fallout to such expenditure? Proposing new services is a needed process. It educates citizens to realistic expectations and can provide a long term planning process which can led to solid outcomes.

My 1st house I bought was 13% interest rate.  Granted the house was only $53,000 but I wasn't making a lot of money back then.

• Cheers 1

On 10/17/2023 at 6:48 PM, Master Mind said:

Would be nice if there was a limit to the number of properties someone could own.

There were several countries in the world that tried to implement "no rich among us" concept. None of the them succeeded. Yet, NDP in BC and all its supporters are trying really hard to create another situations where rich are not welcome...

The idea of limiting the number of properties someone could own comes straight out of communist and dictatorship books.