The Housing Shortage

-dlc-

On 4/16/2024 at 9:02 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

42% of the voting electorate are currently voting Conservative if an election were to be held today.  So seems like the majority of voters are now “right wing”…

1) 42% isn't a majority. 

2) People are voting someone out and not voting for PP and the Cons. 4-6 years of Cons and it'll flip. That is the nature of politics in Canada. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/20/2024 at 8:55 AM, Gnarcore said:

1) 42% isn't a majority. 

2) People are voting someone out and not voting for PP and the Cons. 4-6 years of Cons and it'll flip. That is the nature of politics in Canada. 

It won't matter anyway because the ndp anc libs will still hold the balance of power.  The Cons won't get a majority and the libs and NDP won't let them pass anything crazy 

My guess is, if the Cons win, were in for a series of elections

1 hour ago, stawns said:

It won't matter anyway because the ndp anc libs will still hold the balance of power.  The Cons won't get a majority and the libs and NDP won't let them pass anything crazy 

My guess is, if the Cons win, were in for a series of elections

No they won't.  The CPC is expected to get well over 200 seats and form a majority government...

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No they won't.  The CPC is expected to get well over 200 seats and form a majority government...

We'll see. 

But if Skippy does he has no excuses to fix everything he says is broken. No bullshit excuses like Justin made a mess. 

On 7/21/2024 at 10:59 AM, Bob Long said:

We'll see. 

But if Skippy does he has no excuses to fix everything he says is broken. No bullshit excuses like Justin made a mess. 

Will take some time to right the ship, will likely see the majority of improvements in years 3 and 4.

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Will take some time to right the ship, will likely see the majority of improvements in years 3 and 4.

because the changes are already underway. The number of projects started and already proposed should start to have a real effect in a couple of years.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

because the changes are already underway. The number of projects started and already proposed should start to have a real effect in a couple of years.

Its been 9 years and have seen little effect on the housing shortage. If the turn around is 2-3 years from now its hard for the current government to take credit for it. 

On 7/21/2024 at 10:52 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Happens when one party, the governing party,  (particularly the leader) overstays his welcome.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Its been 9 years and have seen little effect on the housing shortage. If the turn around is 2-3 years from now its hard for the current government to take credit for it. 

the feds haven't been focusing on major new housing projects for 9 years. They can take some credit for the work now under their watch, but they also take some blame for not acting sooner.

BTW, Skippy voted against new housing funding when he was in government. 

• Cheers 1

Article 1:

More than 100 new rental homes announced for Whistler, B.C.

2 4-storey buildings with 104 rental suites for middle income residents to be finished in 2026

CBC News · Posted: Jul 22, 2024 1:16 PM PDT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago
buildings in whistler
Construction on dozens of new rental units in Whistler, B.C., is expected to be finished in 2026. (Canadian Press)

More than 100 new affordable rental homes have been announced for Whistler, B.C., a community that has long struggled with affordable, adequate housing for its many resort workers. 

On Monday, the province announced it is spending $12.7 million on two four-storey buildings, including one-, two- and three-bedroom suites, as well as studio apartments.  

It's part of an initiative announced by the NDP government earlier this year called B.C. Builds, which aims to build housing quickly for middle-income individuals and families.

"It might be fun when you're young to pile into a place with a bunch of roommates, but the charm wears out really quickly. If you want to build a career and have a good middle-class life in a community like Whistler ... we need better solutions," Premier David Eby said Monday.

Whistler, home to about 14,000, is a ski resort community that sees more than three million visitors annually. Workers and union leaders have previously told CBC News that staff often find it difficult to find housing.

The province says the project is to be complete in 2026.

The lot, located at 1475 Mount Fee Rd., is being provided by the Resort Municipality of Whistler, and the buildings will be owned and operated by the Whistler Housing Authority. 

Whistler Mayor Jack Crompton said in a news release that the units will be for resort staff only.

Resident Nikita Chatwin said these new units will benefit families like hers. 

"Accessible housing reduces financial strain, and by fostering a supportive community, these homes create a sense of belonging and opportunity," she said in a statement released by the province. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rental-homes-whistler-1.7271305

Article 2:

Camosun gets first-ever on-campus student housing with $151M boost from B.C.

Posted: Jul. 17, 2024 12:39PM | Last Updated: Jul. 17, 2024 2:29PM
Camosun gets first-ever on-campus student housing with $151M boost from B.C.
CHEK
Oak Bay-Gordon Head MLA Murray Rankin speaks at the Camosun housing announcement on July 17, 2024.

The B.C. government has earmarked over $151 million to help fund Camosun College’s first-ever on-campus student housing building.

The building will be six storeys tall and will be home to 423 student beds – mixed between single, studio, and “quad unit” rooms.

The total project costs $154.7 million, with the province contributing $151.7 million, and Camosun providing $3 million.

The building is expected to open for students in fall 2027.

“Our government has been making historic investments in on-campus student housing to support students in their academic journeys, including the very first student residence at Camosun College,” said B.C. Post-Secondary Education Minister Lisa Beare in a statement Wednesday.

The building will be constructed using mass timber, which the province has touted as a more cost-effective and environmentally friendly form of construction.

It will also have the target of meeting Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Platinum Standards, a certification given to exceptionally green buildings.

Camosun College president Lane Trotter says the school is grateful for the province’s investment, and says that on-campus housing will help lead to better student education outcomes, better retention rates, and help free up rental space in Greater Victoria.

“Secure, stable and affordable housing is essential for students to succeed in their studies,” said Murray Rankin, MLA for Oak Bay-Gordon Head.

“Having student housing available at Camosun College’s Lansdowne campus will also help alleviate pressure on Victoria’s rental market, a lasting benefit to our entire community.”

The province notes that construction is also underway on a 217-bed, $77.9 million student housing project at North Island College, as well as a 266-bed student housing building at Vancouver Island University, which has a price tag of $87.8 million.

https://www.cheknews.ca/camosun-gets-first-ever-on-campus-student-housing-with-151m-boost-from-b-c-1214648/

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It takes 6-8 years to get a hi-rise built from the time the land is purchased. Not sure your timeline of 2 years is accurate. 

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It takes 6-8 years to get a hi-rise built from the time the land is purchased. Not sure your timeline of 2 years is accurate. 

the first ones will be the multiplexes. 

My wife was talking to a developer buddy, and he claims Vancouver should start to see some real rental relief in 2-3 years - does that kind of fit with what you're seeing in the market?

25 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Whistler Mayor Jack Crompton said in a news release that the units will be for resort staff only.

17 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Which is a good thing, because without resort staff, the resort can't function - and without these units (as distant in the future as they may be), they will be at the mercy of market rents, which are expected to be ridiculously high considering it's a resort.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

the first ones will be the multiplexes. 

My wife was talking to a developer buddy, and he claims Vancouver should start to see some real rental relief in 2-3 years - does that kind of fit with what you're seeing in the market?

Bill 44 just came into play in June. I don’t think developers have gotten to that stage of redevelopment of land for 4 plexes at this point. 

The biggest issue is that none of the municipalities have advised whether they will allow these 4 plexes to be stratified yet. Nobody has heard anything. I might get my friend to call Ken Sim and find out. 

Without stratification I can’t see too many developers jumping in to build these 4 plexes at this time. Too much red tape. 

I was looking more specifically at all of the rental housing that the municipalities were going to put up as a result of the federal funding.  Haven’t heard a peep on that. 

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bill 44 just came into play in June. I don’t think developers have gotten to that stage of redevelopment of land for 4 plexes at this point. 

The biggest issue is that none of the municipalities have advised whether they will allow these 4 plexes to be stratified yet. Nobody has heard anything. I might get my friend to call Ken Sim and find out. 

Without stratification I can’t see too many developers jumping in to build these 4 plexes at this time. Too much red tape. 

Hmm, not what we heard. Have to see how it plays out.

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I was looking more specifically at all of the rental housing that the municipalities were going to put up as a result of the federal funding.  Haven’t heard a peep on that. 

Just google it, there are dozens of them that have been announced.

48 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A lot of new low income developments in my town.  I can think of three just in my end of town

On 7/21/2024 at 11:52 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

That's not happening 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/is-singapore-s-housing-model-a-realistic-solution-for-canada-s-affordability-woes/ar-AA1oj8IW?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=54cd7325bd03457f9b826403d3a7e636&ei=79

"

VANCOUVER — Urban planner Louisa-May Khoo says she got a sense of deja-vu when British Columbia Premier David Eby announced the BC Builds housing program earlier this year.

Khoo, a University of British Columbia public scholar, was a veteran of Singapore's planning and development sector starting in 1996 before arriving in Vancouver in 2018.

When Eby unveiled BC Builds in February, Khoo said many Singaporean philosophies were instantly recognizable in the provincial program, right down to the exact percentage points in one instance.

"BC Builds has pegged their rental rates at 30 per cent of the household income, for instance, and that's something the (Singapore Housing and Development Board) has always stuck by," Khoo said.

"The StrongerBC economic plan is also pushing for things like a lot more upstream planning, which Singapore has always done for a long time," she said. "Some of the regulations and proposals that I've seen in terms of the housing plan is very much inspired (by Singapore)."

Singapore's housing model, where the government plays a dominating role in land ownership, property development, financing and other related aspects of society, has been held up numerous times by others such as Eby as a path to affordability here in Canada.

-------------------------

a lot more at link.

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/is-singapore-s-housing-model-a-realistic-solution-for-canada-s-affordability-woes/ar-AA1oj8IW?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=54cd7325bd03457f9b826403d3a7e636&ei=79

"

VANCOUVER — Urban planner Louisa-May Khoo says she got a sense of deja-vu when British Columbia Premier David Eby announced the BC Builds housing program earlier this year.

Khoo, a University of British Columbia public scholar, was a veteran of Singapore's planning and development sector starting in 1996 before arriving in Vancouver in 2018.

When Eby unveiled BC Builds in February, Khoo said many Singaporean philosophies were instantly recognizable in the provincial program, right down to the exact percentage points in one instance.

"BC Builds has pegged their rental rates at 30 per cent of the household income, for instance, and that's something the (Singapore Housing and Development Board) has always stuck by," Khoo said.

"The StrongerBC economic plan is also pushing for things like a lot more upstream planning, which Singapore has always done for a long time," she said. "Some of the regulations and proposals that I've seen in terms of the housing plan is very much inspired (by Singapore)."

Singapore's housing model, where the government plays a dominating role in land ownership, property development, financing and other related aspects of society, has been held up numerous times by others such as Eby as a path to affordability here in Canada.

a lot more at link.

A old school buddy of mine is an architect in Australia. He has been to Singapore a number of times and has met the head architect for the Singapore government. Was very impressed. There is actually a Ted Talk on how Singapore developed and implemented their housing plan.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

A old school buddy of mine is an architect in Australia. He has been to Singapore a number of times and has met the head architect for the Singapore government. Was very impressed. There is actually a Ted Talk on how Singapore developed and implemented their housing plan.  

Singapore is such as small land mass it has to be well managed. Maybe we could apply the lessons to the lower mainland. 

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

"

a lot more at link.

I really like this.  Like our medical system, it's going to take a combination of actions to solve the problem, but this should be part of the solution.

• Upvote 1