The Housing Shortage

-dlc-

54 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Don’t think it’s right younger people trying to buy their first home have to pay such crazy prices. Some might even have mortgages over 200 or 300 k! Don’t know how to fix the problem though. 

leasehold properties. its the only idea I've ever seen that can be applied to 10's of thousands of homes, and happen quickly. 

54 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Don’t think it’s right younger people trying to buy their first home have to pay such crazy prices. Some might even have mortgages over 200 or 300 k! Don’t know how to fix the problem though. 

You mean mortgages of at least  500,000 if they can save for a down payment.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I need to defend the Z's a little here, this doesn't represent the kids I've met and are now meeting online for work. Yea, I'm the ancient dude on zoom now. 

I think the Z's would be quite happy to have a little acre somewhere, IF they could easily come into Vancouver on something like a slowish (180-200km/hr) train which is 50 year old train technology compared to Japan e.g. That would open up a huge territory for new developments just in the south coast 200 km from Vancouver. 

And before someone screams costs, just look at the price for an average car payment now, its goofy. These kids are priced out of so many things now, I don't blame them at all for not sacrificing their free time for their work. Low pay, benefits are skimpy, no defined pensions anymore, etc etc. They know its not worth it to do more than you're paid for by the hour anymore. 

Jim Bob

The kids today in general want "new", do not want to live in groups to save money, and want a new car, all at the same time as going to Starbucks for a $7.00 latte, while on their $1000 phone.

This is not what we did. I too, have met great kids that will work their tails off, but the 20 to 30 year olds, use alot of excuses, not to move out, not to move away, and not to sacrifice....as my step-son declared..."I don't want to move north! It's cold!". He now lives in a 600 square foot apartment in Victoria, with over $200,000 in the bank and declares that he will never be able to afford a house........Come on man!

52 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

There is no simple fix, there just isn't. 

I wish I wasn't so angry and resentful at it all, it's exhausting. And it's not just anger, there's fear there as well. All I've tried to do since I was in my early 20's is work towards trying to scrounge up for a home. I did a certificate, I did a diploma, I'm doing a bachelors. I've scrimped and I've saved and it just doesn't matter because my earning power has stayed relatively the same while things have seemingly gotten further and further out or reach. I'm afraid I'll never get there, and I'm not the only one. 

Lot of folks do what folks say we should do and try to move somewhere where things are cheaper. But as more folks do that won't things inevitably cease to be cheaper? Smaller towns also offer fewer job opportunities, not every job can be done remotely or with a laptop. 

I don't expect things to be handed to me, I wasn't born wealthy. I've always known that I'd have to work for everything I ever achieve, but it's harder for me to do than it was for my parents. It's more expensive, the requirements to make what's considered "good money" are seemingly higher than ever nowadays. Canada's younger workforce, as well as it's older workforce, is one of the most educated in the world, that raises the bar economically doesn't it? When more folks are highly educated it becomes a standard, but economically it's mattering less and less given that wages haven't risen alongside the cost of living. 

A lot of folks I know are similar to me in that their only big long-term goal has been trying to save up and purchase a home of their own, but it feels hopeless and a lot of us are scared that we'll never get there regardless of how hard we work. The economic milestones our parents and grandparents were able to achieve seem to be getting further and further away, and most of the time it doesn't seem like things are getting any better. 

I wasn't born wealthy and neither was my wife.  We have worked hard for everything we have.   We are not rich but luckily we can afford the things we want.

My parents were born in Sask in 1927 and 1933.  They went thru real hardships that thankfully none of us will ever know.  My Dad grew up on a farm  There were years of drought back then and sometime they had to go without food. 

My grandmother used to make bread without yeast as it was too expensive and that's what they would eat for days. 

He left home at 15-16 with friends and farmed in Texas and Oklahoma for people.  Then was a logger in northern Ontario in winter where they had to saw trees by hand. 

Then joined the Navy and was wounded in Korea.  Thankfully they settled in BC and he worked in a mine then became a heavy duty mechanic.

My Mom's Dad died when she was young and a brother died in WW2.  My Grandmother was left raise 6 kids on her own.

That is the kind of stories that made Canada.

I feel lucky I never had to go thru anything like that and neither did my son.

I will never begrudge people who worked hard for what they have.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

26 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Jim Bob

The kids today in general want "new", do not want to live in groups to save money, and want a new car, all at the same time as going to Starbucks for a $7.00 latte, while on their $1000 phone.

This is not what we did. I too, have met great kids that will work their tails off, but the 20 to 30 year olds, use alot of excuses, not to move out, not to move away, and not to sacrifice....as my step-son declared..."I don't want to move north! It's cold!". He now lives in a 600 square foot apartment in Victoria, with over $200,000 in the bank and declares that he will never be able to afford a house........Come on man!

He won't be able to afford a house in Victoria and neither will my son even though he has $100,00 in the bank.   Moving isn't an option for him him with a Govt job based in Victoria.

• Cheers 1

@Coconuts

I apologize for generalizing like I did, but you fail to tell me where you live. (If it is the south western part of BC) move north and grind out a living like I did. Take a look at Dawson creek real-estate, look at the $200,000 houses....there are a few. That is where you start. Once you start paying that off, then you have asset that is not going to someone else in the form of rent. After 10 years, you should have paid alot, if not all of it off. If you don't have a partner, bring in a boarder.....Don't spend the money. invest it. Paydown your debt, and maybe when you are 60, you will have a nest egg and can retire.

There are plenty of places, you can still do this in Canada.....the east coast as well. It takes sacrifice, which is not what I hear, often enough.

As for going back to school the 3rd time. I commend you, and your efforts, but maybe change it up, if it does not work. Go get a trade...not for everybody, but it pays well, and they are in demand (Everywhere!)

I am not...I repeat not! saying that everyone is a dead beat, or is not trying, but there are alot of opportunities out there right now. I am 66 years old and can work for $50.00 an hour under the table, if I want. (working for myself) (painting/drywalling/construction, etc) My son started up a clean up company on his time off, and charges out at $75.00 an hour.

IMO, there are alot of ways to make money today, and lots of places where houses are still affordable. 

In saying all that....it takes time, energy and luck, and a willingness to relocate.......................all sacrifice.

and just to keep it lite......when I was a kid, we had to walk up hill to and from school.....both ways!

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

He won't be able to afford a house in Victoria and neither will my son even though he has $100,00 in the bank.   Moving isn't an option for him him with a Govt job based in Victoria.

My buddy worked for the BC Government in Victoria and realized he was working day to day, pay cheque to pay cheque, so he quit, and became a Pharmacist, and move to Gabriola Island, where property was cheap and there was no Pharmacy. They borrowed and started their own.

Sacrifice!!!

PEOPLE!

I am not saying it works for everyone

But small towns are screaming for help

For skilled labour/trades etc....

If you choose to live where it is expensive, and it is your choice. If you smoke/drink/eat out/buy coffees/ have a 100 dollar cell bill

Then either stop it, or stop complaining.

1 minute ago, JIAHN said:

PEOPLE!

I am not saying it works for everyone

But small towns are screaming for help

For skilled labour/trades etc....

If you choose to live where it is expensive, and it is your choice. If you smoke/drink/eat out/buy coffees/ have a 100 dollar cell bill

Then either stop it, or stop complaining.

My son does not drink...smoke  and rarely eats out.  Doesn't drink coffee and has a corporate cell phone plan.

10 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

My buddy worked for the BC Government in Victoria and realized he was working day to day, pay cheque to pay cheque, so he quit, and became a Pharmacist, and move to Gabriola Island, where property was cheap and there was no Pharmacy. They borrowed and started their own.

Sacrifice!!!

Must have been years ago.  He quit and went thru 4 years of school to become a Pharmacist?  Now a days that would be $$$$$ if you can even be accepted.

My wife is a Pharmacist by the way.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Jim Bob

But thats exactly what my daughter and her buddies are doing. My kid lives in a house with 5 other people, and I bought her phone 😂 

I think you're underselling a lot of kids out there. 

51 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

no, it isn't what we did. I flung myself to 3 provinces before landing in BC as home. 

I do agree that kids in BC do have a bit of a tendency to not want to move, but its hard to blame them, BC is the best place to live on the planet imo.

One of the reasons I'm upset with the NDP is they don't make moving outside of the lower mainland or Victoria more attractive. I really believe things like high speed rail would make a massive difference, along with new cheap subdivisions and leasehold opportunities. The gov't could be doing so much more of this. 

Edited by Bob Long

8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

My son does not drink...smoke  and rarely eats out.  Doesn't drink coffee and has a corporate cell phone plan.

Well, then he needs to move. Get another job, etc

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

But thats exactly what my daughter and her buddies are doing. My kid lives in a house with 5 other people, and I bought her phone 😂 

I think you're underselling a lot of kids out there. 

no, it isn't what we did. I flung myself to 3 provinces before landing in BC as home. 

I do agree that kids in BC do have a bit of a tendency to not want to move, but its hard to blame them, BC is the best place to live on the planet imo.

One of the reasons I'm upset with the NDP is they don't make moving outside of the lower mainland or Victoria more attractive. I really believe things like high speed rail would make a massive difference, along with new cheap subdivisions and leasehold opportunities. The gov't could be doing so much more of this. 

Bob.......I did not rely on the Government ....I made it happen. Me...myself! I slept on a rolled up carpet as a bed, with a sleeping bag, as I wanted to be in the same town as my girlfriend.....worked 2 minimum paying jobs at 1 time, and did not do much other than work. Then my girlfriend and I moved in together. 

I like the high speed rail idea.....but Bob......that does not, answer the question of sacrifice...aka moving

Personally....I think parents are part of the problem, because they don't want their kids moving a way.........I mean.............Man!

PS...............

I talked to a construction company owner here in Prince Rupert...............he has 2 1/2 years of work already scheduled ahead of him..........

And we have a housing crunch here

10 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Bob.......I did not rely on the Government ....I made it happen. Me...myself! I slept on a rolled up carpet as a bed, with a sleeping bag, as I wanted to be in the same town as my girlfriend.....worked 2 minimum paying jobs at 1 time, and did not do much other than work. Then my girlfriend and I moved in together. 

I like the high speed rail idea.....but Bob......that does not, answer the question of sacrifice...aka moving

Personally....I think parents are part of the problem, because they don't want their kids moving a way.........I mean.............Man!

You are living in the past.

Just a story of sacrifice

The first house my parents owned, was 600 square feet in Gibsons Landing.

It's foundation was tree stumps, that my Dad, crawled under, and dug the stumps out, then mixed the concrete in a galvanized bucket, on site, by hand.

Later, once my brother and I had grown, my father, built 2 - 10 X 10 bedrooms and a entryway.

My dad, later on, worked through the winter for extra cash and a apple tree he wanted, and which he dug out by hand, and replanted in our back yard.

He did this, on his days off, as he worked in the forest industry, and was up at 430 am, to leave the house at 530 , arriving back at the house, somewhere around 530 or 600 pm. Monday through Friday.

Then 6 years later, he sold that house and we moved to Nanaimo, where we bought another house, where we had to dig out that basement. My mother grew a huge garden and canned all the veggies for winter....

That is what I mean by sacrifice..........PS...My father was a fisherman/faller, and not a carpenter.............but he did it

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

That would be stupid.  Give up a defined pension plan?

LOL, well if all that defined pension plan does is pay the rent, which he could have paid for 20 years earlier, then I am confused to where he is better off? Do not other places have jobs that have pensions as a part of employment?

4 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

You are living in the past.

Oh..... for Christ sakes!

1716 Willow Brook Cres, Dawson Creek...........3 bedroom 1 bath.............$159,000

9033 Elwood drive, Dawson Creek...................2 bedroom 1 bath.............$207,500

1064 93rd Ave, Dawson Creek...........................5 bedroom 2 bath............$295,000

832 104 Ave, Dawson Creek...............................4 bedroom 2 bath............$222,900

And the list goes on and on

58 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

@Coconuts

I apologize for generalizing like I did, but you fail to tell me where you live. (If it is the south western part of BC) move north and grind out a living like I did. Take a look at Dawson creek real-estate, look at the $200,000 houses....there are a few. That is where you start. Once you start paying that off, then you have asset that is not going to someone else in the form of rent. After 10 years, you should have paid alot, if not all of it off. If you don't have a partner, bring in a boarder.....Don't spend the money. invest it. Paydown your debt, and maybe when you are 60, you will have a nest egg and can retire.

There are plenty of places, you can still do this in Canada.....the east coast as well. It takes sacrifice, which is not what I hear, often enough.

As for going back to school the 3rd time. I commend you, and your efforts, but maybe change it up, if it does not work. Go get a trade...not for everybody, but it pays well, and they are in demand (Everywhere!)

I am not...I repeat not! saying that everyone is a dead beat, or is not trying, but there are alot of opportunities out there right now. I am 66 years old and can work for $50.00 an hour under the table, if I want. (working for myself) (painting/drywalling/construction, etc) My son started up a clean up company on his time off, and charges out at $75.00 an hour.

IMO, there are alot of ways to make money today, and lots of places where houses are still affordable. 

In saying all that....it takes time, energy and luck, and a willingness to relocate.......................all sacrifice.

and just to keep it lite......when I was a kid, we had to walk up hill to and from school.....both ways!

You keep going on about Dawson Creek, but I know Dawson pretty well, I live there. My partner's a fourth or fifth generation local, odds are you're not going to know it better.  

Yes, housing is cheaper here, but there's a caveat to that. Dawson Creek is a popular hub or immigrants precisely because housing is less expensive. Younger folks are also already doing what you've said, in fact they've been doing it for a while. Thing is, Dawson Creek is a small town of roughly 12k, it's housing options aren't unlimited. Nor are it's community resources or local infrastructure. The general feeling amongst folks I know up here is that the province doesn't really give as much of a shit about northern communities. 

As demand rises it's likely prices will too. 

As for don't spend money, I don't go throwing money around, but that doesn't change the fact that costs of living outpace the income of many. It's not all frivolous spending, things are tighter financially for most people than they were prior to Covid and wages have not kept pace. 

None of the doctors in town are taking on new patients for example, and it's rare to hear about positive hospital experiences. It's not unusual for folks to have to drive four or five hours (weather depending) through the pine pass in order to access care in Prince George. It's not as if we can just hop skip across the Alberta border, it's more complicated than that because of interprovincial yadda yadda yadda. 

It's also not as simple as move north or move east, a lot of jobs can't be done remotely, and people have families, communities, and other obligations to consider. Not everyone has the brain, learning style, or skill set for trades either, that's not the surefire solution you seem to think it is. There are needs elsewhere anyway, the Canadian population is aging, a lot of the work force is aging, there will needs to be replacements. Thing is, if folks can't afford to live in certain areas, where are those replacements going to live?

I was born and raised in Nanaimo, I know the island very well, a lot of the demographic on the island is on the older side. Newly wed or nearly dead is the saying, thing is, if younger professionals are priced out who is going to care for all these aging folks? An exodus of young folk from larger cities and towns isn't necessarily a good thing. Nor is an exodus of young professionals from the country in general. 

The idea of pushing folks north just to have a chance at home ownership is troubling, the millennial generation is now the largest age cohort in Canada, Canada's workforce is aging. There's no getting around the fact that younger, but not exclusively younger, demographics are going to need to be able to afford housing all over Canada. 

• Upvote 2