[Speculation] NHL Rumors: Latest On Phil Kessel Free Agency Talk

RWJC

54 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

At what point will Canuck fans move on from wanting yesteryear heroes and saviors. Kessel is yesterday. How in the world would a Phil Kessel fit into RT's game plan? Kinda laughable. 

I hear what your saying, but it's not like that with Kessel. Would be a one year contract. Just a hunch really, but he could be a nice pick up for a little depth scoring and leadership. 

• ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

At what point will Canuck fans move on from wanting yesteryear heroes and saviors. Kessel is yesterday. How in the world would a Phil Kessel fit into RT's game plan? Kinda laughable. 

Rick is a big fan of Kessel.

Also, Kessel really liked playing for Rick in Arizona and on the Penguins.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

At this point I'd say no, to Kessel.

Never the fastest guy, and he's missed almost a quarter of a season--- and missed training camp AFAIK.

That is a lot for anyone to overcome-especially an old guy.

IMG_8895.jpeg

sounds a lot like sundin

Edited by Grinch
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

For all the hot dog jokes, he also consistently is one of the best at the fitness tests too.  Nice depth scoring who knows how to win and is a great guy to be around should at least be considered.

the hot dog stuff is funny because he's actually delivered. He's also more relatable. Kind of like Alejandro Kirk from the Blue Jays. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Absolutely.  I can't think of a current player I'd rather sit down and have beers with.

He seems like a fun teammate. Vancouver can be a tough market on players at times and maybe a guy like Kessel can add some levity when needed. He can stlll shoot. He's the kind of player that gets what I call "free goals". Shifts you didn't really do anything right, but a winger flys down the wall and snipes one.

Just now, Rekker said:

He seems like a fun teammate. Vancouver can be a tough market on players at times and maybe a guy like Kessel can add some levity when needed. He can stlll shoot. He's the kind of player that gets what I call "free goals". Shifts you didn't really do anything right, but a winger flys down the wall and snipes one.

He'd love the foodie scene here too. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Costco could hire him & offer him free hot dogs as payment.  Win-win for both sides.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

oh yeah, forgot to ask - source

Canucks In on Kessel and Close on Pettersson Contract

According to Rick Dhaliwal, the Canucks are optimistic that a deal will get signed between the team and Elias Pettersson in the next few days or weeks. He’s hearing that the number could begin with a 12 or high 11s but that the team knows they are signing a star after the way he’s begun the 2023-24 season. For Pettersson, the delay was never about not wanting to sign. It was simply that he needed time for a thoughtful decision. The team’s current success adds positivity to the atmosphere, potentially paving the way for a long-term extension.

NHL Rumors: Maple Leafs, Rangers, Canucks (thehockeywriters.com)

Edited by Déjà Vu
  • Upvote 1

Kessel is 36 years old. He is not top 6 so he plays 3RD? Who are you bumping off that line to make room? Do we drop Hogs, Lafferty, PDG, ???? Your picking up a 

0.5 ppg guy with a questionable d-side game. I would prefer a younger 200' player who can work the boards and will build his game over a season. Signing Kessel losses us a current roster player who will not clear waivers. 

• Like 1