[Speculation] NHL Rumors: Latest On Phil Kessel Free Agency Talk

RWJC

Y'know we joke a lot about Kessel, but the guy put up 20 goals and 43 points in 56 games in 2020-21, not exactly that long ago. 

He's a 0.54 PPG player over the past 2 seasons.  At the going rate for production, he's worth $4M to $4.5M AAV.  If you land him for $1.5M, that's great value, and value/bargain contracts is what wins championships.

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Y'know we joke a lot about Kessel, but the guy put up 20 goals and 43 points in 56 games in 2020-21, not exactly that long ago. 

He's a 0.54 PPG player over the past 2 seasons.  At the going rate for production, he's worth $4M to $4.5M AAV.  If you land him for $1.5M, that's great value, and value/bargain contracts is what wins championships.

Hey, hey, hey.. some of us have been serious about Phil the Thrill all along.. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Kessel was 33 years old that season.  Now he will be 36.  For most players that drop-off is significant.

image.png.9bd13a749e27b1cd3d46c6e094a7d95f.png

This is not a player who will enjoy playing under Rick Tocchet.

Edited by Miss Korea

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Kessel was 33 years old that season.  Now he will be 36.  For most players that drop-off is significant.

Kessel loves playing for Tocchet.

Had some of his best years under him.

With the right linemates and the right load management he can still be a contributor.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Kessel loves playing for Tocchet.

Had some of his best years under him.

With the right linemates and the right load management he can still be a contributor.

Maybe you're right.  But that lack of forechecking is gonna drive fans nuts.

23 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Rick was dubbed 'The Kessel Whisperer' when he was in Pitts.  Phil really stepped up his game.

My guess is that Vancouver is one of the teams Phil wants to sign with, but is waiting for team's

requiring injury replacements and/or salary cap.

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Rick was dubbed 'The Kessel Whisperer' when he was in Pitts.  Phil really stepped up his game.

My guess is that Vancouver is one of the teams Phil wants to sign with, but is waiting for team's

requiring injury replacements and/or salary cap.

Our team would have to get more banged up to the point that players are put on LTIR for cap relief.  And they'd have to be on LTIR until at least the end of the regular season for us to have cap space.  All of this would have to happen before the trade deadline for Kessel to be eligible for the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Our team would have to get more banged up to the point that players are put on LTIR for cap relief.  And they'd have to be on LTIR until at least the end of the regular season for us to have cap space.  All of this would have to happen before the trade deadline for Kessel to be eligible for the playoffs.

I wasn't specifically talking about the Canucs, as they would probably have to make a trade to reduce their cap. 

There's an awful lot of grinding hockey before the deadline, so it is possible for Phil to be signed down the

stretch. 

I think his cap would be low and term would be 1yr.  Fairly easy to include him on a team's roster.

I love Phil and have expressed I wanted him here recently, but with podkolzin knocking at the door I wonder if best choice is to try injecting our high picked youth into the lineup over bringing in a vet that’s been there done it…. Once suter comes back our bottom 6 would prob have Joshua or pdg as the odd man out as of right now with the emergence of hoglander 

2 hours ago, Captain insano said:

I love Phil and have expressed I wanted him here recently, but with podkolzin knocking at the door I wonder if best choice is to try injecting our high picked youth into the lineup over bringing in a vet that’s been there done it…. Once suter comes back our bottom 6 would prob have Joshua or pdg as the odd man out as of right now with the emergence of hoglander 

I think PDG is out.

Hogs is gonna see a lot more time in the top 6 now.

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Petey-Kuzmenko

Joshua-Suter-Garland

Aman-Blueger-Lafferty

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 2:53 PM, HKSR said:

I think PDG is out.

Hogs is gonna see a lot more time in the top 6 now.

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Petey-Kuzmenko

Joshua-Suter-Garland

Aman-Blueger-Lafferty

I wouldn’t argue against those lines, tho I’ve been very impressed with laffs game as well as blueger if kuzzy can get a spark I think we got one of the best bottom 6s in the whole league