[Speculation] NHL Rumors: Latest On Phil Kessel Free Agency Talk

RWJC

2 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

Vega$ didn't need him in their Stanley Cup run last spring, so that is telling. No to Phil the thrill.

How is it telling? Vegas was historically deep up front with a 4th line that many teams would be happy with their 3rd, and some their 2nd. The fact a team that good wanted him in the room and to fill in for injuries is what is telling

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

As long as he's signing for something around 1 million for depth and support, I wouldn't say that it would hurt us, he has lots of experience on cup winning teams.

I think he would be brought in as a stop gap type of player, not a guy that plays every night, probably doesn't play back to back games.

Right price? Sure, why not? As long as we can move someone else to round out defense in the process....

On 10/17/2023 at 2:28 PM, Analyst82 said:

Which city has the best hot dogs? This will narrow down the list! 

I don't think we are even considering signing him. 

https://nhlrumors.com/nhl-rumors-phil-kessel-and-the-vancouver-canucks/2023/11/18/

according to this article we are. He’s 36 years old. It makes no sense if we want to be a fast team.

3 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

https://nhlrumors.com/nhl-rumors-phil-kessel-and-the-vancouver-canucks/2023/11/18/

according to this article we are. He’s 36 years old. It makes no sense if we want to be a fast team.

We aren't a fast team though, that doesn't mean we can't play fast. Tocc wants this team to play fast hockey, fast passes, fast plays. It's not always about how fast you can skate, but sometimes how fast you can think. Kessel has 10 years NHL experience on Pettersson, and there's something to be said for experience. The Sedins to this day rave about how influential Sundin was to their development into superstars. I'd 100% be down to let Kessel spend this season mentoring our young team.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

People can say what they want about Kessel. No matter what shape he's in, he always produces and he's extremely competitive. Pens don't get their b2b cups without him. He was good in Arizona and has been well liked wherever he's been. If he's coming in on a minimum contract. I say, why not. If he shows up and is producing it gives us more options. Options are always a good thing. 

Phil Kessel has 83 points in 100 playoff games.  He would be a huge upgrade on Beauvillier or Garland in the playoffs.  Play him on the 3rd line with Suter, basically taking Garland's spot.

If we can trade Garland and get some cap relief we can sign Kessel to replace him.  Garland for Andrew Peeke.  Columbus is just awful right now, they've lost 14 of their last 15 games.  They need to shake things up and need more goal scoring.  Peeke and Boqvist are rotting in the press box.

I'd easily do Garland for Peeke and then sign Kessel to replace Garland.  Then I'd trade Beauvillier and Hoglander to Calgary for Zadorov.  Boom, defence is fixed and we still have our scoring up front.  And we have a great playoff performer in Kessel for this season's playoff run.  We may even have some cap space to sign Bear as a 6/7 guy.  

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Phil Kessel has 83 points in 100 playoff games.  He would be a huge upgrade on Beauvillier or Garland in the playoffs.  Play him on the 3rd line with Suter, basically taking Garland's spot.

If we can trade Garland and get some cap relief we can sign Kessel to replace him.  Garland for Andrew Peeke.  Columbus is just awful right now, they've lost 14 of their last 15 games.  They need to shake things up and need more goal scoring.  Peeke and Boqvist are rotting in the press box.

I'd easily do Garland for Peeke and then sign Kessel to replace Garland.  Then I'd trade Beauvillier and Hoglander to Calgary for Zadorov.  Boom, defence is fixed and we still have our scoring up front.  And we have a great playoff performer in Kessel for this season's playoff run.  We may even have some cap space to sign Bear as a 6/7 guy.  

Give Allvin the Jim Gregory immediately if he convinces Kekäläinen Garland is the answer to their offensive woes.

• ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kekäläinen is probably about 5 games from being fired.  So, he should be picking up the phone if Allvin calls him...

i'm sure the ownership probably already decided but they are searching for a candidate in the background. i doubt he has any authority left to make any changes without going thru the ownership first.

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I think it's more if we move Beau, we can bring in Phil and Bear for slight upgrades.

Yep, if we can turn Beauvillier into Kessel and Bear that’s a no brainer.

Love the speed Beau brings but it just doesn’t make sense having a 4 million dollar 4th liner when we’re desperate for D.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep, if we can turn Beauvillier into Kessel and Bear that’s a no brainer.

Love the speed Beau brings but it just doesn’t make sense having a 4 million dollar 4th liner when we’re desperate for D.

the only issue is cost to move Beau, I wonder what GMs are asking for? obviously too high right now and/or retention which doesn't help us. 

Canucks are almost there.

They have their core stars:  Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Hughes, Hronek, Demko

They have guys that have won before:  JR, PA, Tocchet and his coaches, but sadly, only one player (Cole)

They need more winners (Kessel?) and an upgrade on physicality/toughness (Beauvillier)  Kuzmenko gets a pass here, because at least he wants to win and he's eager. He's also tough as nails taking that puck to the chin.

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

the only issue is cost to move Beau, I wonder what GMs are asking for? obviously too high right now and/or retention which doesn't help us. 

I dont think Beau has negative value at the moment, A team like Nashville, Washington, or Columbus could use extras scoring help and have plenty of cap space. The price would be pretty close to free though. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I just don't see him signing up to deal with the media in a Canadian city again, and I don't really blame him.

It's also a different scenario, he has three cup wings and absolutely no need to prove himself to Canadian media any further