CFL / BC Lions activity

Barnstorm

Milt Stegall calling like it is, although he even stopped short of calling Rhymes a moron, or the whole team for that matter, if they didn't know you need to get down after making that catch. Thoroughly disgusted with Ryan Phillips and his useless defensive backs, that he relies on, who didn't knock down 1 pass all game, and Maksymiuk and his play selection, frickin useless. Then there is the sitting of Scrivens, who is EXPLOSIVE, in favor of Mizzel, the worst running back I can remember ever playing for us. It's like they want to lose.

On 10/6/2023 at 10:25 PM, Calamity K said:

Milt Stegall calling like it is, although he even stopped short of calling Rhymes a moron, or the whole team for that matter, if they didn't know you need to get down after making that catch. Thoroughly disgusted with Ryan Phillips and his useless defensive backs, that he relies on, who didn't knock down 1 pass all game, and Maksymiuk and his play selection, frickin useless. Then there is the sitting of Scrivens, who is EXPLOSIVE, in favor of Mizzel, the worst running back I can remember ever playing for us. It's like they want to lose.

I couldn't help thinking that it was too bad he didn't have a better understanding of the Canadian game....

All he had to do after breaking that first tackle, was to kick the ball through the end zone and it would have scored the single point they needed for the win. It seems like we see a lot of players who are unaware of the subtle differences between the Canadian and American games, outside of the larger field and 3 downs in Canada.

Unfortunately, that lack of knowledge cost the Leos the W last week.

That final regulation play aside, although it looked like the defense was at fault, I put this loss squarely on the shoulders of the offense. They didn't generate a thing in the 2nd half and that meant the Defense had to spend far too much time on the field.

I don't care how good you are, or how good your conditioning is, spending that much time on the field is going to wear you down....especially the guys in the trenches....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

October 13, 2023

BC at Hamilton 4:00pm pst. TSN tv.

BC at 11-5, .688 with 446 for and 368 against. 

Hamilton is 8-8, .500 and 358 for and 406 against. 

BC pretty much playing for pride now

as their chances of gaining 1st in the west are slim. They would have to win last two games and Winnipeg would have to lose their two last matches. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/30/2023 at 8:30 AM, Johngould21 said:

I went with a buddy last night, he has club seats near where the Lions' alumni all sit. Saw a few familiar faces in and around the washroom. lol! Wally, Don Taylor, Al Wilson, quite a night! A western final would be a fantastic event.

That's where all us old dogs hang out; close to our favorite tree.

GO LIONS GO!

We can beat any team on any given day.

Today we choose Hamilton.

lion vs tiger fights on Make a GIF

• Upvote 1

It doesn't get much better than having a Friday afternoon (3:00 ? Pregame?) Lions game on a beautiful sunny day.

And the team is so dynamic this year; really fun Canadian Football; GO LIONS GO!

I'm cookin' the half-time meal:

Butterflied tiger prawn skewers over jasmine-scented rice,

Greek salad, and warm pita bread drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

No drinkie for me; >4 months dry.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Refs did a better job in the second half of seeing things a bit better.

I was glad to see VA on the bike/sidelines and not visibly "hurting" too much. Evans got the job done for sure. And White is so reliable....I'm happy he had the difference maker.

Me too (re laughing at the roughing call on Betts....seriously??) And that fumble call was one I thought would be overturned for sure as well. Then the PI call in the endzone where the Ti-Cat player hurt his knee. Hardly. They both sort of had an arm out and he just tripped completely on his own (stumbled) from what I saw. But by that time I was pretty wound up about the calls they were making. 

Even Lucky Whitehead's speaking out on SM about the officiating. It's quite awful.

• Cheers 2

Really enjoyed the game; and, we're in the playoffs!

Could win the Grey Cup this year.

While the refs did miss a few calls and there may have been some game management, I think they did a good job overall.  People might be advised to cut the CFL a little slack.  They are operating (at a loss again) on a very tight budget as a league and no-one except the exceptional stars makes any real money.  There is not the intense pressure of the NFL for everything to be so closely scrutinized.  Not like the NBA, NHL, or MLB either of course.  It's our own little game with a great history and lots of long-standing rivalries.  Fans are generally very respectful of other teams' fans and this leads to a great time when going to the games.  It is a family-oriented experience and you can often see multiple generations enjoying the events together.

Anyway, just my 2 bits; I am enjoying the CFL and the BC Lions again this year and that was another nail-biter last night.

And.  We.  Might.  Just.  Go.  All.  The.  Way!!

Cheers CFL Fans!

• Cheers 1

On 10/13/2023 at 8:45 AM, Barnstorm said:

Jaquan Hardy slots in.

Looks like a slightly better version of lightweight Mizzel. Nowhere near as good as Shivers (not Scrivens lol) Maybe they don't let Shivers in because he wasn't clicking on a few passes.

13 hours ago, -dlc- said:

These refs are ass.

They started out the year well, and it seemed the control center was correcting nicely, but it's all gone to @#$% now.

• Cheers 1

On 10/13/2023 at 8:47 AM, RupertKBD said:

I couldn't help thinking that it was too bad he didn't have a better understanding of the Canadian game....

All he had to do after breaking that first tackle, was to kick the ball through the end zone and it would have scored the single point they needed for the win. It seems like we see a lot of players who are unaware of the subtle differences between the Canadian and American games, outside of the larger field and 3 downs in Canada.

Unfortunately, that lack of knowledge cost the Leos the W last week.

That final regulation play aside, although it looked like the defense was at fault, I put this loss squarely on the shoulders of the offense. They didn't generate a thing in the 2nd half and that meant the Defense had to spend far too much time on the field.

I don't care how good you are, or how good your conditioning is, spending that much time on the field is going to wear you down....especially the guys in the trenches....

Yes, this is something I'm very aware of lately. Teams that slowly grind down the field are more effective overall than the quick strike offenses for that reason.

• Cheers 1