CFL / BC Lions activity

Barnstorm

Great win, which wasn't looking to promising at the beginning. I hope the oline and dline get accustomed to one another, otherwise this is going to be a long season. Sean Whyte didn't look to pleased having two point afters blocked. Those should be automatic. New placeholder?

today's game is 1-0 Saskatchewan against 0-1 Hamilton at 4pm pacific.

------------------------------

CFL Expansion-whatever happened to it?

All that buzz about Halifax, and some rumblings of Quebec City perhaps getting a team-- and nothing for months and months now.

Also found it a bit much listening to the Cfl/Tsn panel Yesterday- so happy with the attendance at B.C. Place- which was great, but trying to make it sound like people were there for the game first, and the concert as a second thought.

Like they already forgot how last season's opener was very well attended, then interest dropped after the LL Cool J concert.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Gurn said:

today's game is 1-0 Saskatchewan against 0-1 Hamilton at 4pm pacific.

------------------------------

CFL Expansion-whatever happened to it?

All that buzz about Halifax, and some rumblings of Quebec City perhaps getting a team-- and nothing for months and months now.

Also found it a bit much listening to the Cfl/Tsn panel Yesterday- so happy with the attendance at B.C. Place- which was great, but trying to make it sound like people were there for the game first, and the concert as a second thought.

Like they already forgot how last season's opener was very well attended, then interest dropped after the LL Cool J concert.

Why not do more of these concerts combined with the games? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Why not do more of these concerts combined with the games? 

Probably diminished returns- can't be cheap to get these, mid tier, singers to do a show; especially if it isn't part of a larger tour.

with the beginning of the game being delayed, the TV schedule gets put a little out of wack as well.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Probably diminished returns- can't be cheap to get these, mid tier, singers to do a show; especially if it isn't part of a larger tour.

with the beginning of the game being delayed, the TV schedule gets put a little out of wack as well.

What we really need is a proper outdoor stadium (30,000 seats) that accommodates both football and soccer. BC Place is too cavernous and has an antiseptic feel. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

What we really need is a proper outdoor stadium (30,000 seats) that accommodates both football and soccer. BC Place is too cavernous and has an antiseptic feel. 

The old waterfront stadium proposal would have been great.

Except Transport Canada didn't like the idea of the stadium being built over rail lines that carry Dangerous cargo- and Gastown felt there would be too many 'soccer ' hooligans, causing damage after games.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

The old waterfront stadium proposal would have been great.

Except Transport Canada didn't like the idea of the stadium being built over rail lines that carry Dangerous cargo- and Gastown felt there would be too many 'soccer ' hooligans, causing damage after games.

Yup. The artist renditions of that stadium sure were nice. Not too sure where the best spot is for a new stadium? 

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

the best place now, imo, would be the east side of the PNE grounds where they had CFL games that one year. Tons of space, the view is incredible, tons of parking, and it would rejuvenate the PNE grounds to something really special like Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. 

Jimmy Pattision should do this as a legacy thing. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

the best place now, imo, would be the east side of the PNE grounds where they had CFL games that one year. Tons of space, the view is incredible, tons of parking, and it would rejuvenate the PNE grounds to something really special like Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. 

Does Sky Train go there now? Love that location. 

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I have really fond memories of going to Lions' games at Empire Stadium as a kid. My dad was away a lot (fisherman) and we didn't have family vacations, etc. But in the summer we'd head to the PNE and a Lions' game. I loved that stadium...seeing the roller coaster and feeling the vibe of the entire atmosphere.

I went back for a game when they held some there awhile ago and we rocked the place. The temporary set up with metal stands meant we could stomp our feet and get super loud. 

I'd love the games to return there. It would also help the track at Hastings, which is trying hard to stay alive but is dwindling.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Also, woo Lions!

A good win. I do think VA has to keep his emotions in check a bit more....level out some. When he was ranting over the blocked converts, etc. it's great that he's showing intensity but I think, at times, he fires the ball too hard because he's just TOO wound up. Composure.

With that, they sealed the deal yesterday and that's what counts. But I do see some emotion in him that maybe plays against him at times (as well as fires him up).

It's nice to have a running game. I'm glad that toward that end they used it more....VA also takes some unnecessary risks at times that can be our demise.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I have really fond memories of going to Lions' games at Empire Stadium as a kid. My dad was away a lot (fisherman) and we didn't have family vacations, etc. But in the summer we'd head to the PNE and a Lions' game. I loved that stadium...seeing the roller coaster and feeling the vibe of the entire atmosphere.

I went back for a game when they held some there awhile ago and we rocked the place. The temporary set up with metal stands meant we could stomp our feet and get super loud. 

I'd love the games to return there. It would also help the track at Hastings, which is trying hard to stay alive but dwindling.

I think it would be an anchor to make the PNE a really great year-round place. 

I went to a lions riders game that year, yeah sorry in my green outfit (it's the one thing I keep from the prairies). 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

no but its easy to add buses, and the parking is great for people from the valley. 

The spot is great but I think there would need to be a lot more built in that location than just the stadium. Maybe a whole 10 year development plan with the stadium as being the first thing? 
Too bad we spent 1.5 billion on updating BC Place and buying ferries that didn’t work. That money would have built a great new stadium and more. 

Just now, Alflives said:

The spot is great but I think there would need to be a lot more built in that location than just the stadium. Maybe a whole 10 year development plan with the stadium as being the first thing? 

yep, thats why I see it as part of a bigger plan, something year round 

Just now, Alflives said:

Too bad we spent 1.5 billion on updating BC Place and buying ferries that didn’t work. That money would have built a great new stadium and more. 

hey aren't we looking at more ferries again 😅

• MillerTime 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

image.jpeg.ecd1ef66c08fd895a7a1f4cdb0ccbd0b.jpeg

thats us .

I remember at that game, some guy walked past me and said "where the hell are all you guys coming from?" Yorkton, mother****r. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

no but its easy to add buses, and the parking is great for people from the valley. 

It was done before. Parking isn't great by any stretch, but the sky train goes down Broadway which is closeish, but would be an option. That gong show yesterday outside the Terry Fox plaza was awful. The BC Place staff knew that over 50k would be coming, but were very unorganized and unprepared. They let people in without scanning tickets in our area, because it could have turned ugly. They better do better for the World Cup, much better.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

It was done before. Parking isn't great by any stretch, but the sky train goes down Broadway which is closeish, but would be an option. That gong show yesterday outside the Terry Fox plaza was awful. The BC Place staff knew that over 50k would be coming, but were very unorganized and unprepared. They let people in without scanning tickets in our area, because it could have turned ugly. They better do better for the World Cup, much better.

I know it's BC and there's always an easy path to "no", but imo it's a great site thats under-utilized, likely in part due to "because east van." 

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

thats us .

I remember at that game, some guy walked past me and said "where the hell are all you guys coming from?" Yorkton, mother****r. 

I wonder if people outside that region realize just how big The Riders are in Saskatchewan? The Riders are to their market like the Canucks are here.