CFL / BC Lions activity

Barnstorm

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if people outside that region realize just how big The Riders are in Saskatchewan? The Riders are to their market like the Canucks are here. 

its massive. Junior hockey is a big deal, but there's something about the green and white that brings the entire place together. You would be hard pressed to find anyone supporting another CFL team there, unlike here where we have to endure original 6 and AB fans. 

• ThereItIs 1

Much better performance by the Leos last night. They got a couple of breaks on turnovers, (and the 3rd down drop by the Stamps receiver Barnes) but the O-line did an excellent job of picking up the Calgary blitz (with help from the running backs) and VA took care of the ball....

Don't know what to say about the blocked PAT's because for whatever reason, TSN wasn't giving us a decent view of what happened. On the surface, you blame the O-line for those, but I'm inclined to say Whyte is at least partly to blame as well. The field goal he hit in the 3rd quarter looked like it came off his boot a little flat. It just didn't seem to have the height that the clinching FG did...

On to Winnipeg!

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

. The field goal he hit in the 3rd quarter looked like it came off his boot a little flat. It just didn't seem to have the height that the clinching FG did...

Might be the 'chip' the league has in the balls.

There were complaints during week one, an I have not heard that the league has gone back to regular balls.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Gurn said:

Probably diminished returns- can't be cheap to get these, mid tier, singers to do a show; especially if it isn't part of a larger tour.

with the beginning of the game being delayed, the TV schedule gets put a little out of wack as well.

That delay also sucked for people who came from the island and didn't take the car.  There were a bunch of us literally running to the Canada line after the game.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

It was done before. Parking isn't great by any stretch, but the sky train goes down Broadway which is closeish, but would be an option. That gong show yesterday outside the Terry Fox plaza was awful. The BC Place staff knew that over 50k would be coming, but were very unorganized and unprepared. They let people in without scanning tickets in our area, because it could have turned ugly. They better do better for the World Cup, much better.

I must have been near you, gate A where the line didn't move for 15 minutes?  Some fan literally just opened up the fence and the security really couldn't have done much even if they wanted to with the amount of people who swarmed through the opening.

Edited by King Heffy

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I must have been near you, gate A where the line didn't move for 15 minutes?  Some fan literally just opened up the fence and the security really couldn't have done much even if they wanted to with the amount of people who swarmed through the opening.

Actually a BC Place staffer made an executive decision to open it up. I’m sure many might not have had tickets as well.

2 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Actually a BC Place staffer made an executive decision to open it up. I’m sure many might not have had tickets as well.

Interesting, I was at the front against the fence and it happened pretty quickly after a few jumped over.  From my angle it definitely looked like it was opened from the outside.  What was really pissing me off was seeing all the security just waiting at the gate with no lineup whatsoever.  Hopefully some lessons are learned from that because it was definitely on the verge of getting ugly.

Edited by King Heffy

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Interesting, I was at the front against the fence and it happened pretty quickly after a few jumped over.  From my angle it definitely looked like it was opened from the outside.  What was really pissing me off was seeing all the security just waiting at the gate with no lineup whatsoever.  Hopefully some lessons are learned from that because it was definitely on the verge of getting ugly.

I hate to be sounding disparaging, but the folks doing all the cutting in were not football fans. Whom I might add won’t be back.

9 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

I hate to be sounding disparaging, but the folks doing all the cutting in were not football fans. Whom I might add won’t be back.

I wasn't really given a choice with the crowd pushing behind me.  

CFL- shooting themselves- again.

Self inflicted wounds are the worst

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/cfl-fines-veteran-kickers-over-chipped-football-controversy/ar-BB1oFySX?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=7f10a1fe0c834d81b65f81b2c91d5c4c&ei=36#comments

"

TORONTO — Kickers Sergio Castillo, Brett Lauther, Sean Whyte and Lewis Ward were fined by the CFL on Friday after publicly speaking out on the league's use of chipped footballs on field-goal attempts.

Castillo took issue with the chipped balls in the Winnipeg Blue Bombers' season-opening 27-12 home loss to the Montreal Alouettes on June 6. Castillo, who made over 90 per cent of his attempts in 2023, missed two of three field goals he tried in the game as well as a convert.

Afterwards, Castillo contended the chips — which collect statistical data for the CFL — impacted the ball's trajectory and made it difficult for kickers to do their jobs.

"I don't know where to aim," Castillo told reporters after the game. "Every time I’m out there, I’m literally praying the Rosary.

"I don’t know where to aim."

Lauther, Whyte and Ward all took to social media to come to Castillo's defence. Shortly afterwards, the CFL said there was no evidence the chips negatively impacted the balls but did amend its rules to allow teams to determine before games whether their punters and kickers would play with chipped footballs or those without chips.

The league put microchips into its footballs this season to help generate real-time advanced statistics. It did so in some games last year, but none were used in kicking situations.

But the league will continue using microchip-implanted balls this season and revisit their usage before the 2025 campaign.

On Friday, Castillo was fined for violating the CFL's code of conduct. Lauther, Whyte and Ward were all disciplined for breaching the league's social media policy.

Ottawa punter Richie Leone was also fined, but for a "tourist hit" — a type of unnecessary roughness foul — on Winnipeg defensive back Marquise Bridges in the Renegades' 23-19 win June 13.

Saskatchewan defensive lineman Micah Johnson was disciplined for contravening the CFL's code of conduct and verbally abusing an official in the Riders' 33-30 road win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Sunday night.

As per league policy, the amounts of the fines was not disclosed.

• Thanks 1

It was a good game. The Lions were a bit unlucky, could've scored a whole lot more and blown the game wide open.

The O-Line actually looks pretty good. The new guys are carrying them.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

It was a good game. The Lions were a bit unlucky, could've scored a whole lot more and blown the game wide open.

The O-Line actually looks pretty good. The new guys are carrying them.

Agreed.

The O-line looked good and that's with some injury replacements.

For the most part Winnipeg was just sending 4 man pressure and the line was giving VA a lot of time back there. I was often counting 4 steamboats before I would see any pressure arriving.

I am also thinking that the presence of a real runningback in William Stanback allows for a more balanced attack. The Winnipeg D-line had to respect the run and the Lion O-line did open some nice holes.

Now if only the D-line can get it together.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Elk lose their 3rd straight game 36-39; Toronto goes to 2-0

Next Thursday Elk come to  play B.C.

Feeling bad for Matt Dunigan, he picked the Elks to win the Grey Cup- maybe he was just trying to pump up a former team?

Little factoid- Matt threw for 713 yards, in one game, winning 50-35

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1