CFL / BC Lions activity

Barnstorm

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/wnba/edmonton-elks-fire-coach-and-general-manager-chris-jones-amid-dismal-start-to-season/ar-BB1q297A?ocid=BingNewsSerp

"

Edmonton Elks head coach and general manager Chris Jones has been fired as the football team continues to struggle to secure a win.

Geroy Simon will take over as interim general manager, while offensive co-ordinator and quarterbacks coach Jarious Jackson becomes the team's interim head coach.

Jackson will retain his offensive play-calling duties.

The decision to fire the Elks' general manager and coach came down to one man: Rick LeLacheur.

The Elks' president and CEO said no one else had input into the call. He informed the board of the community-owned CFL team Monday morning that Jones would be replaced, with Geroy Simon taking over as general manager, and offensive coordinator Jarious Jackson assuming interim head coaching duties.

The team is currently in talks with potential private owners, and LeLacheur confirmed he let them know of his decision.

"The major thing is we have not given up on this year," LeLacheur said. "When you're 0-5, there's got to be some consequences. It's a results-based business. I've worked with Geroy and Jarious in the past, and I have full confidence in them.

"We all know we have a better team than we had last year, but, at the end of the day, we're still 0-5."

The Elks are winless, but all five of their losses were one-score games. Incredibly, the team has lost each of its last three games on last-second field goals.

"We are 0-5," said Jackson. "We don't get any brownie points for keeping games close, right? It's about the Ws.

"At the end of the day, it's the only thing that matters. Stats don't matter."

• Thanks 2

The Elks have gone 4-20 under Chris Jones

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/victor-cui-discusses-chris-jones-job-security-following-edmonton-elks-20th-consecutive-home-loss-1.1984143#:~:text=Head coach Chris Jones now has a 4-20,prior to the start of the 2022 season.

-------------------------------------------------------

SCRATCH THAT

the story is from July of 2023

-----------------------------

Since then they have lost 5 this year, and whatever they lost  last season, after July 14th

Yikes!!!

tomorrow at 4 pm pacific:

0-5 Elks with their new coach play in 3-2 Ottawa

I'm a Geroy Simon fan- but I'm ok with Edmonton dropping to 0-6.

Simon has stepped into a very tough situation, not a great 'first timer' spot.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Sask. wins- helped out mightly by 2 truly horrible pass interference calls.

One was bad enough, that as the Sask coach, I might have challenged the call, that was going my way.

Winning is good, winning when you deserve it, is better.

12 hours ago, Gurn said:

0-6 

lots of work to be done, Hope Geroy gets the time to do it.

Watched this game, both should be in division 2, lol! Terrible teams with lots of work to do to make them better. Looks good on Edmonton though, the sound of Brian Hall yelling at the top of his lungs how good the Eskimos were back in the day.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Wouldn't mind putting some distance between ourselves and the Stamps; set them down in the bottom with the Bombers and the Elks.

( I still can't get used to that s; the plural of elk is elk; e.g. what if the Bombers were the Winnipeg Storm?  Would the plural be Storms?  Effen Flatlanders!)

Calgary has looked pretty lost this year and if they haven't got it together, we should kick 'em when they're down.

GO LIONS! 

Come to the game locals, support the CFL, I hear the guys from BC brought a real Air Show.

LIONS 56

STAMPS (Fug Ed About It)

PA & The All-Stars!

'N' Don't Sleep on Mr. Williams:

Hamilton holds on to win their first of the season. 

27-24 Ti-cats. 

They had a 10 point lead, then allowed a kick off return for a td. Their next possession went nowhere and they punted away- this time the  Argo Returner dropped the ball, but his team mates recovered.

Argos had a chance to tie, but could not get into field goal range

• Thanks 1

VA feeling the pressure tonight. Refs are way too involved but whatever.

I think that challenge was good, looked like PI to me.

Calgary coming at them hard. I do think they also should have had one roughing the passer early on.

GO WALLY!!

Adams looks like he is playing with bruised, or cracked rib(s).

If so, I'd like to see coach answer the question-"why not start the back up?"--Leo's have a bye-week, and Vernon could have had almost 3 weeks of rest/recuperation.

also Stanback rushed for an average 7.1 yards per carry but only got 9 carries for 64 yards. Seems like a good idea to keep running the ball.

• Upvote 1

I'll add poor special teams as a reason for the loss.

The kick coverage was poor, although some of that can be attributed to Flintoft not getting enough hang time on punts....

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'll add poor special teams as a reason for the loss.

The kick coverage was poor, although some of that can be attributed to Flintoft not getting enough hang time on punts....

Yes.....a big reason for the loss was the punt coverage. It's a game of field position.

Beaulieu, a first year player with some decent size was playing on the right edge for the cover team and he was just being manhandled by the Calgary player opposite him. Several long returns went right by him as he was pushed out of position.

He needs to improve in a hurry. That was just too easy for the Calgary Returner.

This was a very winnable game for us. Didn't get the breaks.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

Adams looks like he is playing with bruised, or cracked rib(s).

If so, I'd like to see coach answer the question-"why not start the back up?"--Leo's have a bye-week, and Vernon could have had almost 3 weeks of rest/recuperation.

also Stanback rushed for an average 7.1 yards per carry but only got 9 carries for 64 yards. Seems like a good idea to keep running the ball.

Yes, Adams was holding his side after a hard tackle. Wouldn't doubt that he has some issues with his ribs. Uncharacteristically, he was off on a number of throws and didn't look poised under pressure.

The bye week is coming at a good time.

William Stanback is the real deal, unlike last year's runningback.  I would like to have seen him get more touches.

• Upvote 1

Toronto, now 4-3 after beating Winnipeg 16-14 in OT. Bombers fall to 2-6.--- I'm ok with that, though I'd been hoping for a tie.

today it is 1-5 Hamilton at 0-6 Edmonton, game time 4pm pacific.