CFL / BC Lions activity

Barnstorm

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

"VA will not be traded"

--at least until he gets cleared to play.

They would be better off keeping both, till off season anyhow.

Depth at QB would be the best in the league.

Wonder if they have to turf out a player, or two, to make the money fit.

• Like 2

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/source-community-run-edmonton-elks-being-sold-to-private-owner-larry-thompson/ar-AA1oJs9X?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=29524d6ba4844da0aed4bce20b879f92&ei=38

"

EDMONTON — Larry Thompson is the new private owner of the Edmonton Elks.

A CFL source requesting anonymity said the former owner of Thompson Brothers Construction, will become the franchise’s new owner.

The source spoke on the condition of anonymity because neither the CFL nor the Elks have publicly confirmed the sale.

With Thompson taking over, the CFL now has just two community-owned franchises — the Saskatchewan Roughriders and Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

The Elks (2-7) sit last in the CFL's West Division but have won two straight.

Last month, the team fired head coach and general manager Chris Jones following a 0-5 start. The club had a record of 8-33 over two-plus seasons during Jones's second tenure with the team, including two seasons (2021, 2022) without a win at Commonwealth Stadium as part of a record 22-game home losing streak. The team hasn't made the playoffs since 2019.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

I was really dreading going to the game Sunday, for sure I'm now going. He'll play on Sunday I'm sure.

I'm going to get tickets today.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

https://www.cfl.ca/2024/08/15/lions-mourn-loss-of-legendary-ol-coach-dan-dorazio/

VANCOUVER — The BC Lions announced with great sadness the passing of legendary coach Dan Dorazio.

Said Lions co-general manager and director of football operations Neil McEvoy:

“Along with being an unbelievable coach and lover of the game of football, Dan was beloved by all of his players and had a tremendous ability to make them better through his enthusiastic teaching of the game. Our thoughts are with his wife Lisa and their entire family.”

Following a five-year stint with the Calgary Stampeders (1998-2002), which included two Grey Cup championships, Dorazio moved west with Wally Buono and served as offensive line coach for 15 seasons over a pair of stints in British Columbia (2003-14, 2016-18).

A master technician and profound influence for the countless number of players he led through the trenches, Dorazio’s tenure with the Lions produced ten CFL All-Stars and 14 West Division All-Stars on the offensive line while Rob Murphy (2006 and 2007) and Jovan Olafioye (2012) took home the CFL Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman award. He would earn Grey Cup rings in 2006 and 2011, bringing his career total to four.

Dorazio’s CFL career also included stints in Saskatchewan (2015) and Toronto (2019). The football lifer was preparing for his second season on the UBC Thunderbirds’ coaching staff and was previously hired as co-offensive co-ordinator at Simon Fraser in 2020.

Before moving north of the border, he spent 26 years in various programs in the NCAA.

• Sad 2

On 8/15/2024 at 10:17 AM, Gurn said:

- I'm not the most avid CFL fan, but I do follow it and can truly say-I've never heard anyone, say anything, bad about coach Dan.

Sounds like the country lost one of the truly good guys.

Watched local Global sports cast last night; dang near everybody they talked to about Dorazio, got choked up, including the  host.

Elks Hamilton game delayed, after an bad injury on the first play of the game.

Ambulance was on the field, and the teams have gone back into the dressing rooms; to refocus, and try warming up again.

• Sad 4

3-6 Winnipeg at 5-4 B.C., game time 4 pacific.

Lions are 3-0 at home while Bombers are 0-4 on the road.

Leos have scored 222 points while allowing 228

Winnipeg 188 points for and 186 against.

In case anyone missed it--- Nathan Rourke is back.

Stadium will be packed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1