CFL / BC Lions activity

Barnstorm

Posted (edited)

Apparently, it is looking like there could be 50k fans in the stands at BC Place Stadium for the home opener on June 15th.

Haven't had crowds of that size since the late 80's when Doug Flutie was our quarterback.

IIRC BC Place Stadium holds 56k for football.

I wonder how many might have been induced to buy a ticket for this game by the presence of 50 cent?

Don't listen to rap music much but the Lions players obviously do. The team seemed to be quite excited by the announcement. They broke into song, one by 50 cent I would assume.

Hope that the team plays well in front of the large crowd.

Edited by Artemus
  • Upvote 2

From Bakes Takes- Lions homepage

Key Numbers

315- combined passing yards for Lion quarterbacks. Dolegala led the way with 118, followed by Adams Jr. with 116 and rookie Chase Brice with 81.

197– the Lions held Edmonton to under 200 yards of net offence.

72– a game-high in receiving yards for Justin McInnis.

5- the home side only committed five penalties for a modest 40 yards. Discipline is also key in these times of evaluation.

50K- that’s what we’re on track to sell for tickets to the June 15 Concert Kickoff featuring 50 Cent. How cool is that?

• Cheers 1

Some moves/signings-- today:

The BC Lions today announced the following transactions.

Signed to practice roster agreements:

American wide receiver Stanley Berryhill
American defensive lineman Juliano Falaniko
National linebacker Terrence Ganyi
Global punter/kicker Carl Meyer
National wide receiver Kieran Poissant
American wide receiver Devin Ravenel
National defensive back Charlie Ringland
American defensive lineman Jonah Tavai
American running back Jordan Terrell
American offensive lineman Kory Woodruff

Released from the roster:

American running back Percy Agyei-Obese
National defensive back Siriman Bagayogo
American defensive lineman Sam Burton
American defensive back Chris Cooper
American wide receiver Jeff Cotton
American offensive lineman Jean Delance
American wide receiver Ed Lee
American linebacker Forrest Rhyne
American wide receiver Jalen Sample
American defensive back Marcus Sayles
American defensive lineman Demetrius Taylor
American offensive lineman Maea Teuhema

The Lions open their 2024 regular season on Sunday, June 9 with a road clash at the Toronto Argonauts. Kickoff is 4:00 pm PT with Bob Marjanovich and Giulio Caravatta bringing you the action on 980 CKNW and the Lions Audio Network. A full practice schedule for the week will be sent out before Monday.

---------------------------------------------------

Note- Lions games-radio wise are back on CKNW980

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Apparently, it is looking like there could be 50k fans in the stands at BC Place Stadium for the home opener on June 15th.

Haven't had crowds of that size since the late 80's when Doug Flutie was our quarterback.

IIRC BC Place Stadium holds 56k for football.

I wonder how many might have been induced to buy a ticket for this game by the presence of 50 cent?

Don't listen to rap music much but the Lions players obviously do. The team seemed to be quite excited by the announcement. They broke into song, one by 50 cent I would assume.

Hope that the team plays well in front of the large crowd.

I usually go to a couple of games a year from the island.  Bought a ticket as soon as I saw the announcement.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Gurn said:

From Bakes Takes- Lions homepage

Key Numbers

315- combined passing yards for Lion quarterbacks. Dolegala led the way with 118, followed by Adams Jr. with 116 and rookie Chase Brice with 81.

197– the Lions held Edmonton to under 200 yards of net offence.

72– a game-high in receiving yards for Justin McInnis.

5- the home side only committed five penalties for a modest 40 yards. Discipline is also key in these times of evaluation.

50K- that’s what we’re on track to sell for tickets to the June 15 Concert Kickoff featuring 50 Cent. How cool is that?

Justin McInnis and Jevon Cottoy both looked dominant in preseason play. Nothing like a couple of  6'5" national players at a skill position.

Will be a nice receiving corps when Hatcher returns. Hatcher, Hollins, McInnis and Cottoy.

Also nice to see that we have a pro level runningback in William Stanback. One of the star players in the 2023 Grey Cup game for Montreal.

Wasn't surprised to see Taquan Mizzell as an early cut. Last year's primary runningback, though fast and able to catch the ball, did not appear to have the fortitude to play the pro game.

With the addition of some beef on the D-line, we will probably do better against the run, which was our achilles' heel when playing against Winnipeg.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Gurn said:

Some moves/signings-- today:

The BC Lions today announced the following transactions.

Signed to practice roster agreements:

American wide receiver Stanley Berryhill
American defensive lineman Juliano Falaniko
National linebacker Terrence Ganyi
Global punter/kicker Carl Meyer
National wide receiver Kieran Poissant
American wide receiver Devin Ravenel
National defensive back Charlie Ringland
American defensive lineman Jonah Tavai
American running back Jordan Terrell
American offensive lineman Kory Woodruff

Released from the roster:

American running back Percy Agyei-Obese
National defensive back Siriman Bagayogo
American defensive lineman Sam Burton
American defensive back Chris Cooper
American wide receiver Jeff Cotton
American offensive lineman Jean Delance
American wide receiver Ed Lee
American linebacker Forrest Rhyne
American wide receiver Jalen Sample
American defensive back Marcus Sayles
American defensive lineman Demetrius Taylor
American offensive lineman Maea Teuhema

The Lions open their 2024 regular season on Sunday, June 9 with a road clash at the Toronto Argonauts. Kickoff is 4:00 pm PT with Bob Marjanovich and Giulio Caravatta bringing you the action on 980 CKNW and the Lions Audio Network. A full practice schedule for the week will be sent out before Monday.

---------------------------------------------------

Note- Lions games-radio wise are back on CKNW980

I was trying to find the roster changes on TSN, as late as last night. TY

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

I was trying to find the roster changes on TSN, as late as last night. TY

TSN has a 2024 preview of the CFL teams at 5:30 on Tuesday, June 4th.

This is preceeded by the TSN analysts discussing their "Top 50 players" in the CFL at 5:00

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Was just announced that the Jonas Brothers will be performing as the half time show for this year's Grey Cup, which is in Vancouver.

Considerate of the league to schedule a nice long bathroom break.

• Haha 2

Opening game of the season tonight:

Pre game show at 5 pm pacific

Game time 5:30 

Montreal at Winnipeg

Revenge match?

Montreal beat Winnipeg 28-24, scoring 21 points in the second half, compared to 7 for the Bombers

• Cheers 1

Montreal wins 27-12.

Imo the Montreal coach screwed up at the end of the game.

Alouettes were up by 21 points, but left Fajardo in the game, for the entire 4rth quarter.

Cody managed to duck under a sack attempt, and then did get sacked a second or 2 later in the play.

Injury risked for no good reason.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Todays game is 

Hamilton at Calgary   6 pm pacific

Trouble with chips?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/cfl-kickers-sound-alarm-about-footballs-with-computer-chips/ar-BB1nOplr?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=f79dc3f1381a488f852c1a574bd53539&ei=47

"

CFL kickers are raising major concerns about new computer chips in footballs affecting their ability to do their job.

The issue hit the spotlight after Winnipeg Blue Bombers kicker Sergio Castillo missed two of three field goals as well as a convert in Thursday’s season-opening loss to the Montreal Alouettes.

Castillo made 90.2 per cent of his field goals last year.

The chips collect statistical data used by the CFL. 

“I don’t know where to aim,” Castillo told the media after Thursday’s game, per 3DownNation. “Every time I’m out there, I’m literally praying the rosary. I don’t know where to aim.”

Alouettes kicker David Cote made both his short field goals and missed a convert in the opener.

After the game, several other kickers expressed their concern on social media.

Saskatchewan Roughriders kicker Brett Lauther, a vice-president of the CFLPA, said in a statement on social media that kickers across the league voted 10-1 in a poll not to use the balls.

Ottawa Redblacks kicker Lewis Ward also expressed his displeasure.

“No other pro league uses chipped footballs in the kicking game and every CFL kicker voted against these footballs,” he wrote on Twitter. “This has a negative impact on the integrity of the game and is a very sad for the league to disregard this issue.”

The USFL had a similar issue with chipped footballs drawing complaints from kickers in 2022. The league went back to a traditional football for kicking plays in Week 2 after kickers went 3-for-10 on field goals in the first three weeks.

In the CFL, Castillo is hoping the league can make a similar adjustment. He said he made about 60 per cent of his tries in training camp with the chipped balls and 90 per cent with the traditional balls.

“Every single (kicker) is opposed to this. We’re all against it,” said Castillo. “Yeah, there was testing done, etc., blah, blah, blah, but it wasn’t done by professionals. It wasn’t done by guys who play for you, your employees of the Canadian Football League.”

The CFL did not immediately return a request for comment by Sportsnet.

Just now, Gurn said:

^ This kind of statement always gets me- either annoys me or makes me laugh, depending on my mood to start.

Like- just who the hell does Sportsnet think they are to bitch about not getting an 'immediate' statement?

21 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Trouble with chips?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/cfl-kickers-sound-alarm-about-footballs-with-computer-chips/ar-BB1nOplr?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=f79dc3f1381a488f852c1a574bd53539&ei=47

"

CFL kickers are raising major concerns about new computer chips in footballs affecting their ability to do their job.

The issue hit the spotlight after Winnipeg Blue Bombers kicker Sergio Castillo missed two of three field goals as well as a convert in Thursday’s season-opening loss to the Montreal Alouettes.

Castillo made 90.2 per cent of his field goals last year.

The chips collect statistical data used by the CFL. 

“I don’t know where to aim,” Castillo told the media after Thursday’s game, per 3DownNation. “Every time I’m out there, I’m literally praying the rosary. I don’t know where to aim.”

Alouettes kicker David Cote made both his short field goals and missed a convert in the opener.

After the game, several other kickers expressed their concern on social media.

Saskatchewan Roughriders kicker Brett Lauther, a vice-president of the CFLPA, said in a statement on social media that kickers across the league voted 10-1 in a poll not to use the balls.

Ottawa Redblacks kicker Lewis Ward also expressed his displeasure.

“No other pro league uses chipped footballs in the kicking game and every CFL kicker voted against these footballs,” he wrote on Twitter. “This has a negative impact on the integrity of the game and is a very sad for the league to disregard this issue.”

The USFL had a similar issue with chipped footballs drawing complaints from kickers in 2022. The league went back to a traditional football for kicking plays in Week 2 after kickers went 3-for-10 on field goals in the first three weeks.

In the CFL, Castillo is hoping the league can make a similar adjustment. He said he made about 60 per cent of his tries in training camp with the chipped balls and 90 per cent with the traditional balls.

“Every single (kicker) is opposed to this. We’re all against it,” said Castillo. “Yeah, there was testing done, etc., blah, blah, blah, but it wasn’t done by professionals. It wasn’t done by guys who play for you, your employees of the Canadian Football League.”

I'm with the kickers here.  We already went through this BS with the Fox glowing puck that bounced weird.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'm with the kickers here.  We already went through this BS with the Fox glowing puck that bounced weird.

This is an 'own goal'.

Why would the league proceed, despite the opposition?

subject yourself to ill will from some of the players, and  get bad press?

did the league think this is an issue they have to be the Alpha?

Keep those employees from getting 'uppity'?

Weird.

Edmonton loses, outscored 21-3 in the fourth quarter.

Matt Dunnigan, who was attending the game as part of a 'Elks quarter back' reunion, say his Grey Cup winner pick is Edmonton.

I get being a fan of the team, he was there for years, but   comm on man!

They were 4-14 last year, getting to 10 wins would be a huge upgrade/improvement.

Was good to see all those QB greats though

Warren Moon -perhaps the greatest CFL QB ever, was there.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Edmonton loses, outscored 21-3 in the fourth quarter.

Matt Dunnigan, who was attending the game as part of a 'Elks quarter back' reunion, say his Grey Cup winner pick is Edmonton.

I get being a fan of the team, he was there for years, but   comm on man!

They were 4-14 last year, getting to 10 wins would be a huge upgrade/improvement.

Was good to see all those QB greats though

Warren Moon -perhaps the greatest CFL QB ever, was there.

Heard on 650 the Lions opener is a sellout. Isn’t that over 50,000 people? Very cool of people are heading back to watch the Lions. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/7/2024 at 12:39 PM, Gurn said:

This is an 'own goal'.

Why would the league proceed, despite the opposition?

subject yourself to ill will from some of the players, and  get bad press?

did the league think this is an issue they have to be the Alpha?

Keep those employees from getting 'uppity'?

Weird.

Has anyone explained what causes the issue with the chipped ball and why it’s harder to kick accurately?

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heard on 650 the Lions opener is a sellout. Isn’t that over 50,000 people? Very cool of people are heading back to watch the Lions. 

There's more seats in the North end zone that got released yesterday, but they aint cheap.  $200 but come with a pass to get on the field for the concert before the game.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

There's more seats in the North end zone that got released yesterday, but they aint cheap.  $200 but come with a pass to get on the field for the concert before the game.

This new owner seems smart. 

15 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Has anyone explained what causes the issue with the chipped ball and why it’s harder to kick accurately?

Balls not flying straight, and kickers are getting bruised feet- according to that tweet, anyway.

• Thanks 1