[Trade] Canucks have acquired defenceman Mark Friedman and forward Ty Glover from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for Jack Rathbone and Karel Plas

Depth move. Friedman will be a little more reliable if called up and should still help in Abby. Plays a little bigger than he is.

Maybe Rathbone surprises with a bounce back year, but he's still stuck behind too many similar style players on the depth chart. Hopefully it works out for him.

31 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

RHD.  Can he make the NHL roster?

31 minutes ago, Pears said:

Friedman is a nice pick up

Yes, I guess that Friedman was the main target for the Canucks. He has played adequately as an NHL callup for Pittsburgh. At age 27 he is not a "prospect", but he might be better than Juulsen right now. It is probably pretty close.  He is a former 3rd round pick.

Ty Glover might add some size and toughness to Abby but is unlikely to ever play in the NHL.

But, Rathbone had run out the string in Vancouver and was sitting at #7 or #8 on the LD depth chart. He gets a fresh start with Pitt. I think that Plasek, like Glover, is unlikely to ever play in the NHL.

I have been impressed with the small moves PA has made to improve the team. This could be another one.

• Upvote 1

Jokes aside, good for Rathbone and good on the Canucks for finding him a landing spot. He was having a tough time cementing a spot before all the additions we made throughout the summer, writing was on the wall that if he were to have an NHL career it probably wasn't going to be as a Canuck. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Depth move. Friedman will be a little more reliable if called up and should still help in Abby. Plays a little bigger than he is.

Maybe Rathbone surprises with a bounce back year, but he's still stuck behind too many similar style players on the depth chart. Hopefully it works out for him.

He won't take PO Joseph's spot on the third pair.  And they've got other, bigger LD depth as well.

This is a minor trade for both sides.

1 minute ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Physical defenceman? I've never seen him play but his stats day he's 5'11 and 185lbs.

I know the tendency is to pump new acquisitions tires... but am I missing something?

Biega was about the same size, and he was a pitbull out there hitting everything in sight. 

• Cheers 4