[Trade] Canucks have acquired defenceman Mark Friedman and forward Ty Glover from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for Jack Rathbone and Karel Plas

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

What would you trade for a defenceman who can't play defence and needs an attitude adjustment?

He can play defense, it's just not his strong suit.  I watched almost every game in Abby last year, he's not nearly as bad as he's made out to be.

I don't care that he was traded, I just think they could have found a better deal for a younger player

Just now, stawns said:

He can play defense, it's just not his strong suit.  I watched almost every game in Abby last year, he's not nearly as bad as he's made out to be.

I don't care that he was traded, I just think they could have found a better deal for a younger player

If he had more value, he wouldn't have cleared waivers.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Reading through some of the comments from Pens fans over on HF, I'm getting some Lafferty like vibes from this guy. They say he's a perfect #6 guy. Plays with some snarl despite his size. A lot of them even wanted him to be up with the Pens but think Sullivan doesn't like him for some reason.

I think he will be replacing Juulsen in the lineup.

Edited by ManbeastMARK
  • Cheers 1

Problem with Rathbone when he got his NHL chance was he generated no offence and didn't play NHL defence.  

If you aren't great defensively you better be great offensively and he wasn't either when he got his shots.  He also seemed to then take a step back when Wolanin beat him out.  There is also the fact that Wolanin and Hirose beat him out playing the same position in the same way.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, ManbeastMARK said:

Reading through some of the comments from Pens fans over on HF, I'm getting some Lafferty like vibes from this guy. They say he's a perfect #6 guy. Plays with some snarl despite his size. A lot of them even wanted him to be up with the Pens but think Sullivan doesn't like him for some reason.

I think he will be replacing Juulsen in the lineup.

great pro scouting strikes again.

its good PA tries to move players who feel entitled and do not want to be here.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

What is his position again?

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

In a couple of years time, Rathbone will be on a pairing somewhere in Sweden with Juolevi. 

Bingo!

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Again, Bingo

6 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

He’s played 65 games in the NHL and has 12 points at that level. Sounds like a depth call up piece on the right side that they know 

This was a good trade for us. We essentially lost nothing and gained potentially something.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

How so?  He's not an NHL guy and claiming means a team would have had to keep him on their NHL roster.  Doesn't mean he doesn't have more value than they got. 

I would have preferred a swap for a younger player

1 minute ago, stawns said:

How so?  He's not an NHL guy and claiming means a team would have had to keep him on their NHL roster.  Doesn't mean he doesn't have more value than they got. 

A younger player would've had more value than Rathbone at this point.  That means we send picks the other way.

A much younger player would be waiver exempt, adding even more trade value.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

He seems to think he is an NHL guy judging from his comments.  This makes it much less likely that he'll finally decide to learn how to play hid position properly.  The only GM stupid enough to think that guys like this actually have any value is Dubas.

1 minute ago, canucks curse said:

great pro scouting strikes again.

its good PA tries to move players who feel entitled and do not want to be here.

I have followed Rathbone since the moment he was drafted. I've never seen what you call entitlement from him. I've seen a guy who is a top four offensive threat, but a 6th or 7th defensive defenceman, and 6th or 7th isn't enough to play every day in the NHL. While his offensive vision and skill are great at the AHL level, it is his defending that showed little improvement. He also was injured for long stretches of time, and it didn't help him that Christian Wolanin took over as Abbotsford's best offensive AND defensive threat. I think we have to accept this trade for what it is: both the team and the player realized that he isn't going to be a Vancouver Canuck, so why not give the kid a chance for a fresh start. Jack's happy, the team's happy, and everybody can move on. He's a good kid and he did everything he could be be an every day NHLer, but it wasn't enough, so he be gone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

There is no dedicated Rathbone thread so I'll post here.  Rathbone leaves the organization tied for 406th in scoring.  Some Canuck comparables:

406.  Drake Berehowsky D 39 2 3 5
406.  Jack Rathbone D 28 2 3 5
406.  Mathieu Schneider D 17 2 3 5
416.  Randy Gregg D 21 1 4 5
418.  Riley Stillman D 32 0 5 5

28 games didn't get him too far up my Canucks binder.  Will Justin Kurtz be a career comparable?

Spoiler

ADCreHe2bk37Q8KtmKhrqDoTxgYTNPj628hqVQ7jt1xAzXc5icz3U6okVTythL7cW1BO_Ymjmu-DJLNrNbjGo8d3ArL6ywLC1TTOzUYSPYnYloLK3h1i9wj1bvP9HoQBu09AM9rn3cCYCFcs4k1ZxkVHFXpScYjRY_2TWGnMDbULQ1j9uOfC15KQgJrnecD0AP9ArQzEmJj1OmLnr5XP7Ewdp5XscXXHQIw21TYfSRPzP3Q2ZlGD8wzrROT3o6MtNdOqWhGWV70IXe08egZi3IZDdIqrdy1K9-LenVliCoQAH43sz45R8xwyxFf3nIdAYu48zS7sJszBKZx_ogv1kKeF2Ny2Fob7XAWlnEQJm04dnF6FhgMd2MMGcOX41mc-CGJrv9f8mGfWMnsH0qDazB4gxHmePx6wMwoxK-iSWsNMwCUbmXav2JMTow3yOQhGgwnC9jGfLcUTojVs0RItY5OgBiZN9F_8NjBwbiPadTxuFN9i94OSHjUvhifBEkiXglWZW0iCzm1RLowbAQYr97pbuqALE4Asw5N8_MekbH7S6Upoc5VJphkj6bIT5AQlQ_kbhHIgYvR59DDb97hJo_mwbNa7oNHWWJ1OkLvqjkD7FigzJ3I41fsVuCWVRuwl14QA-29ZMq0sceWTpb1niAdwHgDOEq7PHsRXU3BVolY5J3s08yf_easPUgCqc0MK6KJRAOwV5XS_c_yT60WDWJ5llo4OXg9T1O5uTzAIMmT_kOO2Wk5oPNFaf61MQeoZCeKb9ekaF7tR30KrrnBvYkWhK43Rqr2AW8eBRHqa9X0mcIAeB9j6q_bThwXMcPJJKUkKULv94s0zEvTNEPpMeKHh6cm7dTI2HqoJj5YJaIZt_6U6xBA8YvH2np4nxkzF0O69W-PX590enEPSbOPqdQ8oi3Tw4FyA9suvNiEc8U1bQg4gMFxGCc4tNqoLYvI=w490-h651-s-no?authuser=0

35 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Problem with Rathbone when he got his NHL chance was he generated no offence and didn't play NHL defence.  

If you aren't great defensively you better be great offensively and he wasn't either when he got his shots.  He also seemed to then take a step back when Wolanin beat him out.  There is also the fact that Wolanin and Hirose beat him out playing the same position in the same way.

Exactly, boner was sinking down the depth chart, not to mention Willander and D petey have looked good so far. In the end, he was expendable