[Trade] Canucks have acquired defenceman Mark Friedman and forward Ty Glover from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for Jack Rathbone and Karel Plas

Haven’t read through the whole thread, so apologies if reposting info already here, but here are a couple good quotes from former teammates about Friedman:

“So he’s a wild man. He works extremely hard, gets under the other team’s skin, brings that kind of swagger, that attitude,” Rust said. “And he’s not afraid to go against the biggest guy and give a cross-check or get in a battle. You saw that with Carrier in the second period. I think that kind of attitude and all that’s–it’s really fun to have that guy in the locker room.” -Bryan Rust

“I think that’s probably a good word to use (spark). His personality is just kind of go, go, go. And I think you see that on the ice. He always seems to be involved in something. He’s aggressive. He’s not shying away from anybody. He’ll go with anybody,” Carter said. “You know, he makes smart, easy plays, and he reads the game well, and he knows when to jump in and when not to. I think his goal was a prime example of using his speed to get up the ice and heckuva shot.

So I think he brings an element of that feistiness and, you know, that grit to our back end in which is good.” -Jeff Carter

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

Exactly, boner was sinking down the depth chart, not to mention Willander and D petey have looked good so far. In the end, he was expendable

But he was the most dynamic dman in Abby.  I don't care that he was traded, bug if rather see someone back in the same age range or used as a sweetener in a bigger NHL deal.

And here’s a recent article on Ty Glover, where he’s named the “most improved player” on Wilkes-Barre, at this past summer development camp:

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2023/07/10/wbs-penguins-development-camp-ty-glover-video-scouting-report-skating-tlh

excerpt:

Glover, listed at 6 foot 3 and 201 pounds, is a power forward-type. His strengths are his skating, attention to detail in both ends of the ice, ability to win puck battles and play hard on the forecheck. The part of his game that he calls his "bread and butter" is his ability to be a net-front presence. He spent two years in that role on Western Michigan's power play, and picked up a fair amount of his goals from rebounds or tips in that position.

Both Forrest and director of player development Tom Kostopoulos pointed to Glover's energy and personality as some of the first things they liked about his game in his rookie year.

"He's got a ton of energy," Forrest said. "He creates some real chaos out there, he works really hard, goes to the net. He's really well-liked by his teammates."

Kostopoulos liked that energy in the Penguins' three-on-three tournament to close development camp, too.

"He was flying out there," Kostopoulos said of Glover. "Man, his speed was so noticeable, I'm sure you all saw it. In straight lines, he can fly. I think his energy and his attitude is contagious. It just spreads and the guys love him."

(Full article worth reading. Gives a pretty good overall scouting profile of Glover.)

Edited by SISMIM
Extended quote
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

But he was the most dynamic dman in Abby.  I don't care that he was traded, bug if rather see someone back in the same age range or used as a sweetener in a bigger NHL deal.

But he has no such value and his value as a sweetener is next to nothing as he is not waiver exempt. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

So you would rather they didn’t fill those needs?

No, I am glad the RD issue is starting to become addressed. The Canucks failed for years to draft and develop good RD so thats why where in this position. I wish we were one of the teams with a surplus of good RD options who all had high value. If we were then we could focus on best player available in the draft and not have to worry about trading our prospects who have shown promise away for guys to fill a spot. Almost reminds me of when we traded Gustaf Forsling for Adam Clendening and look how that turned out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Rypien-Punch said:

No, I am glad the RD issue is starting to become addressed. The Canucks failed for years to draft and develop good RD so thats why where in this position. I wish we were one of the teams with a surplus of good RD options who all had high value. If we were then we could focus on best player available in the draft and not have to worry about trading our prospects who have shown promise away for guys to fill a spot. Almost reminds me of when we traded Gustaf Forsling for Adam Clendening and look how that turned out. 

Except the Pro Scouting under this regime has been miles better than what it was under Benning, look how fast Lafferty, Hronek and DeSmith are making a difference already.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey hey hey.Let's just keep running to Pittsburgh for players.If that dries up call Sweden.Jesus this management group is starting to piss me off.Grab a guy off of the Penguins farm team and put them on the big club in Vancouver.It's no wonder all the pundits around the league have no faith the Canucks will make the playoffs based on their defense.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SISMIM said:

And here’s a recent article on Ty Glover, where he’s named the “most improved player” on Wilkes-Barre, at this past summer development camp:

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2023/07/10/wbs-penguins-development-camp-ty-glover-video-scouting-report-skating-tlh

excerpt:

Glover, listed at 6 foot 3 and 201 pounds, is a power forward-type. His strengths are his skating, attention to detail in both ends of the ice, ability to win puck battles and play hard on the forecheck. The part of his game that he calls his "bread and butter" is his ability to be a net-front presence. He spent two years in that role on Western Michigan's power play, and picked up a fair amount of his goals from rebounds or tips in that position.

Both Forrest and director of player development Tom Kostopoulos pointed to Glover's energy and personality as some of the first things they liked about his game in his rookie year.

"He's got a ton of energy," Forrest said. "He creates some real chaos out there, he works really hard, goes to the net. He's really well-liked by his teammates."

Kostopoulos liked that energy in the Penguins' three-on-three tournament to close development camp, too.

"He was flying out there," Kostopoulos said of Glover. "Man, his speed was so noticeable, I'm sure you all saw it. In straight lines, he can fly. I think his energy and his attitude is contagious. It just spreads and the guys love him."

(Full article worth reading. Gives a pretty good overall scouting profile of Glover.)

Ty Glover seems to me like he'll fill that gap left by Zack MacEwen from a few years back.