[Trade] Canucks have acquired defenceman Mark Friedman and forward Ty Glover from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for Jack Rathbone and Karel Plas

Good luck to Rathbone. 

Friedman looks to be a decent #7, at best #6 (but that isn't ideal). Not getting more than that out of him. 

Rath is a great top 4 AHL Dman at the moment. Produces a ton there. Has upside still that he'll figure it out and break into the big league. 

Glover is the interesting aspect to me. Big center. Got good speed and just turned 23 this month. Going into his 2nd pro year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Prediction: Friedman starts next game in Tampa.  Not going out on a limb.  Allvin knew what he needed and couldn't wait for Bear.

I honestly had hopes for Juulsen the way he was playing at the end of last season.  I don't know what happened but his play has been dodgy every time he's laced them up this year.  

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

Prediction: Friedman starts next game in Tampa.  Not going out on a limb.  Allvin knew what he needed and couldn't wait for Bear.

I honestly had hopes for Juulsen the way he was playing at the end of last season.  I don't know what happened but his play has been dodgy every time he's laced them up this year.  

Yup. Juulsson is bad. Myers is bad too. We have Hronek who is fabulous. We need another right shot D man who is really good and can play 20 minutes. Then Soucy and McWard can be our 5/6. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Juulsson is bad. Myers is bad too. We have Hronek who is fabulous. We need another right shot D man who is really good and can play 20 minutes. Then Soucy and McWard can be our 5/6. 

They don't seem to be happy having left handers playing on the right side though.

Friedman is a 6/7, Bear is a 5/6, Hronek is a 2/3 (maybe 3/4), Myers is chopped liver and on his way out

I don't know if asking Friedman to play 78 games is asking too much.

If they're lucky they pick up Bear but it's no guarantee.

Right D is still a soft spot on this team but at least Allvin is making improvements even if they're incremental and coming slowly

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

They don't seem to be happy having left handers playing on the right side though.

Friedman is a 6/7, Bear is a 5/6, Hronek is a 2/3 (maybe 3/4), Myers is chopped liver and on his way out

Right D is still a soft spot on this team but at least Allvin is making improvements even if they're incremental and coming slowly

I think we stand a pretty good chance to sign Bear if we want to. With Tocchet claiming D will be operating by committee, and with our current D roster being what it is, there’s a good chance Bear will find real playing time here whereas it may not be much of a guarantee on some other teams.
$$$ will obviously factor in, but it seemed he displayed some confidence here and likely maintained a good enough showing (thanks to our D situation) to further an NHL career with this being a viable opportunity to do just that. If he gets more time with QH it’ll be great for him. Think we need much better but our hands and cap are a little tied up for the foreseeable future 

Edited by RWJC

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

I think we stand a pretty good chance to sign Bear if we want to. With Tocchet claiming D will be operating by committee, and with our current D roster being what it is, there’s a good chance Bear will find real playing time here whereas it may not be much of a guarantee on some other teams.
$$$ will obviously factor in, but it seemed he displayed some confidence here and likely maintained a good enough showing (thanks to our D situation) to further an NHL career with this being a viable opportunity to do just that. If he gets more time with QH it’ll be great for him. Think we need much better but our hands and cap are a little tied up for the foreseeable future 

That's what I was driving at.  It doesn't seem to me like Allvin is a man who's going to rest on his laurels.  At the very least, they should try to have 4 top 4 D including a bona fide #1.  I think they have 2 right now so they have a ways to go.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuckle said:

Forsling trade is and always will be low hanging fruit bs.

Chicago traded him away, too. Carolina put him on waivers the 1st time and NO TEAM claimed him. And the 2nd time Carolina put him on waivers a team finally claimed him. 4 teams and 7 years later he finally found his stride.

These things happen all the time with underachieving players all around the league. But somehow this one is  different because it happened here under the big bad Benning?

Bull.

Same with McCann. But we also rushed him. But he gets the similar comments, he also bounced around and finally found his game in Seattle.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

8 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Alright let's dispel this notion that Friedman is the definitive solution to our problems at 3rd RD.  He's not.  Everyone here is spamming his Jfresh card because of how impressive his analytics look.  Don't you think out of everyone here, I wasn't excited to get him?  But I still think he is a fringe NHLer who will be lucky to get 20 games with Vancouver this year.  

Look at it this way.  If he really was a 6/7 D, why didn't anyone claim him on waivers?  He has gone down to the AHL every year.  Even when Penguins were dropping like flies last year, Friedman ended up being 9th on the depth chart.  That team wasn't stacked on D and yet they still had no space for him.

Maybe he will pan out given the right opportunity here.  Like Juulsen, their roles are similar - slot in on an emergency basis, and inject some much-needed phyiscal energy while playing sheltered minutes.  Neither of them have shown they have what it takes to play a full season in the NHL.

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Alright let's dispel this notion that Friedman is the definitive solution to our problems at 3rd RD.  He's not.  Everyone here is spamming his Jfresh card because of how impressive his analytics look.  Don't you think out of everyone here, I wasn't excited to get him?  But I still think he is a fringe NHLer who will be lucky to get 20 games with Vancouver this year.  

Look at it this way.  If he really was a 6/7 D, why didn't anyone claim him on waivers?  He has gone down to the AHL every year.  Even when Penguins were dropping like flies last year, Friedman ended up being 9th on the depth chart.  That team wasn't stacked on D and yet they still had no space for him.

Maybe he will pan out given the right opportunity here.  Like Juulsen, their roles are similar - slot in on an emergency basis, and inject some much-needed phyiscal energy while playing sheltered minutes.  Neither of them have shown they have what it takes to play a full season in the NHL.

Nobody saying he is a great fix but he is a better depth RD than many that we have. 
We traded Rathbone who was currently behind Hughes, Soucy, Cole, Irwin, Breezy, Hirose, and Wolanin at least and even deeper down the depth chart of left D prospects when you consider the prospects outside the NHL/AHL. 
We got a guy who atm likely slots in at number 3 or 4 on our right D depth chart with 2 terrible players in front of him. That is a big step up.  He is a right shot which is a premium moves well and plays a rough and tumble game which we need. 
That is not a major fix but it is a significant upgrade on a failed prospect. Rathbone was moving further and further away from NHL minutes with us. 
We also got a power forward prospect out of this which is something we also need more of. 
‘Is this trade a big needle mover? No, it is pushing things around in the margins.  Is it a win, yeah probably, it so turning nothing into the possibility of something. 

• Cheers 1

After last night's soft ass showing I am quite certain that Friedman will be drawing in next game against TBL as we could not fight our way out of a wet paper sack. I also would not be surprised if the urgency to ship Garly and a 'sweetener" out for a more polished/rugged dman has picked up. I cannot help but wonder if we need to move Myers for a low pick that we can include in a Garly deal if necessary. Doubt anyone would even take on his contract aside from a cap-floor team like SJS or ANA. If we were able to move Garly and say a 4th/5th for someone like Peeke or even Fabbro from NSH on a lower cap hit I would do it. My only concern is that those two have not been regulars in their lineups so are we just setting ourselves up for the same situation again? 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bone is an AHL player just like the guys we got back. 

Unfortunately I think you’re right Alf. Friedman looks like a good add because he can at least play in the NHL. 

I haven’t seen an NHL player in Rathbone from the start unfortunately. I got flamed hard for saying it back then. I never meant he couldn’t make it, but he had so much work to do defensively that I seen him as a very long shot. There are so many guys who come in and blow the doors off in the AHL, yet when they come to the NHL they look like absolutely different players. 

I don’t know why this happens, but I do think some of it, if not most of it comes from “between the ears”…we all have our limitations of how far our mind can process things. That’s why I can play beer league hockey…but nothing higher lol. My mind see’s the game at a higher level, but my body had always been one step behind lol.

Thats what make NHL players so special. They are performing at such a high level it’s nuts to think about really.

Rathbone while amazing offensively still to this day has a long way to go defensively. And mentally he may just be at his limit. Still a heck of a player, he’s basically AHL all star material. And heck that’s good too, it’s pretty much the 2nd best league in the world (SHL/KHL are debatable)

1 hour ago, Odjickwillkillyou said:

After last night's soft ass showing I am quite certain that Friedman will be drawing in next game against TBL as we could not fight our way out of a wet paper sack. I also would not be surprised if the urgency to ship Garly and a 'sweetener" out for a more polished/rugged dman has picked up. I cannot help but wonder if we need to move Myers for a low pick that we can include in a Garly deal if necessary. Doubt anyone would even take on his contract aside from a cap-floor team like SJS or ANA. If we were able to move Garly and say a 4th/5th for someone like Peeke or even Fabbro from NSH on a lower cap hit I would do it. My only concern is that those two have not been regulars in their lineups so are we just setting ourselves up for the same situation again? 

Yeah, think you’re right. Anything we get back is a reclamation project but you just hope that a change of scenery gets them back into form, whoever it is we get.

• Cheers 1