[Trade] Canucks have acquired defenceman Mark Friedman and forward Ty Glover from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for Jack Rathbone and Karel Plas

Wanted to post this because, although he didn’t work out, I think Rathbone is all class:

Canucks: A 'little bit of shock' for Jack Rathbone, hope for prospect pipeline

'First time being traded, so a little bit of a shock. I don’t know if there’s a level of (trade) disappointment. You learn a lot every year you play.' — Jack Rathbone

Jack Rathbone’s optimistic demeanour regularly bubbled to the surface.

Whether dealing with a demotion, scoring slump, injuries and even a COVID-19 diagnosis, the diminutive fleet-footed defenceman always maintained that adversity is part of the professional journey.

In his world, it’s not what happens to you, it’s how you handle it.

After all, he was once considered the Vancouver Canucks’ top prospect because the club was hoping to transition into being younger, faster, stronger and more structured.

“That’s awesome,” he told Postmedia News. “That’s my style of play and music to your ears.”

That was then. This is now.

The latest test of career mettle came Tuesday. The Canucks packaged Rathbone, their fourth-round pick in the 2017 draft, in a multiplayer swap with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

And even though it seemed inevitable — the 24-year-old West Roxbury, Mass., native cleared waivers before this NHL season to be reassigned to the club’s AHL affiliate in Abbotsford — he hasn’t processed the career change.

“Honestly, no,” he said Wednesday. “First time being traded, so a little bit of a shock. I don’t know if there’s a level of disappointment. You learn a lot every year you play. A lot of credit goes to how my mom and dad raised me to handle opportunities.”

With rookie Cole McWard having a strong NHL camp and pre-season, and Akito Hirose becoming the first injury recall preference last week, it was the sign of changing times for Rathbone. He started this AHL season in a third pairing with McWard and that’s not where you expect a prospect to prove he should be in the NHL.

Or, was it the fact that the Canucks already have a significant and spectacular smaller defenceman in captain Quinn Hughes? Are two too many?

“Personally, I don’t think so,” added Rathbone, who will report to the Penguins’ AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre Pa. “But that’s not my decision. Whenever I did get the opportunity, I tried to make the most of it. I’m excited to get going and have a little bit of a fresh start.”

Rathbone did have his moments in 28 games in the NHL and 86 in the AHL.

His 40 points (10-30) in 39 games in the 2020-21 season earned an AHL all-rookie team honour, but he slipped to just 14 points (5-9) in 37 games last season — a campaign that started with a Nov. 28 demotion.

In successive seasons, Rathbone was hospitalized overnight after absorbing devastating hits. And despite a shoulder injury, concussion and COVID diagnosis, his resolve to become an NHL mainstay never wavered. And neither has his level of gratitude for his time in the Lower Mainland.

“I met a lot of great people and some friends for life in that organization,” he said. “I just want to say thank you.”

Here’s a look at the Canucks’ top defenceman prospects:

1. Tom Willander (11th overall 2023 draft)

Statistics: 2022-23; Rogle BK J20; GP: 39, G: 4, A: 21, Pts: 25; Rogle BK Angelholm, GP: 2, G: 0, A: 0, Pts: 0.

2023-24; Boston University (NCAA) GP 1: G: 1, A: 1, Pts: 2.

Skinny: Represented his country at the 2023 Under-18 world championship. Impressed with eight points (3-5) in seven games. In gold-medal game, Sweden lost 3-2 in overtime to the U.S. Got stronger, more comfortable in second half of season.

Scouting: Progression in relation to other (draftable) players most progressive. His skating is elite, and can track pucks. Doesn’t shoot exceptionally hard, but finds space and lane to get it to the net.

2. Hunter Brzustewicz (75th overall 2023 draft)

Stats: 

2023-24; Kitchener (OHL); GP: 7, G: 4, A; 9, Pts: 13;

2022-23 GP: 61, G: 6, A: 51, Pts. 57.

Skinny: Part of progress is good puck movement, ability to jump up and read plays, and quarterback power play. Part of it is being a product of the renowned U.S.A. Hockey National Team Development Program in Plymouth, Mich.

Scouting: Needs to clean up defensive side with his mentality, but mainly shoot the puck more and have “that dog mentality.” Pretty smart with his reads and knows when to go and when not to.

3. Elias Pettersson (80th overall, 2022 draft)

Stats: 2023-24; Orebro HK (SHL); GP: 4, G: 0, A: 0, Pts: 0; Vasteras (SHL-1); GP: 4, G: 0, A: 3, Pts: 3; Orebro HK (Junior); GP: 4, G: 0, A: 7, Pts: 7;

2022-23; Orebro (SHL); GP: 43, G: 1, A: 6, Pts: 7. 

Skinny: Lent to Vasteras IK of Sweden’s second-tier pro loop this month to get more ice time and his game in order and had three assists in first four games. Also logged four junior games.

Scouting: High level of compete attracted Canucks. Not afraid to throw his weight around and mobility allows him to close fast on the opposition. Can drive the offence with good crisp passes.

4. Cole McWard (2023 NCAA free agent)

Stats: 2022-23; (Ohio State, NCAA) GP: 39, G: 9, A: 12, Pts: 21; (NHL) GP: 5, G: 1, A: 0, Pts: 1;

2023-24; (Abbotsford, AHL) GP: 2, G: 0, A: 2, Pts: 2.

Skinny: Taste of NHL game last spring gave him a leg-up on off-season prep. Came to camp at age 22 and wasn’t overwhelmed by expectation or being paired with Hughes.

Scouting: Improved skating allows better puck control and confidence. Not afraid to throw a check and doesn’t put himself out of position. Expect him to play NHL games this season.

bkuzma@postmedia.com

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-a-little-bit-of-shock-for-jack-rathbone-hope-for-prospect-pipeline/wcm/0b090d36-a392-41f8-875a-1c07ab9dbef3/amp/

On 10/18/2023 at 12:47 PM, King Heffy said:

It's similar to the Grabner trade, although not as egregious.  Those lambasting Benning for this trade should also be crucifying the idiot he replaced.

Well, even Grabner didn't help the team we traded with. Much like with Forsling, it took another team afterwards to get him going.

18 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

And who knows how getting traded impacts a player's mindset. Sometimes it is the spark that inspires them to be better.

Even just being on a different team can change the outcome drastically. There's simply no guarantee Forsling would have done the same here. There's not even a guarantee Forsling would have made the NHL had he stayed here instead. We can hope and spectate that he would, but that's all we can do really.

• 2 weeks later...

Friedman has come in and been a positive contributer to the team.

Has good speed and he's been playing good enough to play a 3rd pair depth role. 

We definitely need another top 4 RHD but for now the D has been holding up and Fried has been solid. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Friedman has come in and been a positive contributer to the team.

Has good speed and he's been playing good enough to play a 3rd pair depth role. 

We definitely need another top 4 RHD but for now the D has been holding up and Fried has been solid. 

He is definitely an upgrade on Juulsen. I expected him to be a little grittier, but other than that he has been steady for sure.

Good score

On 10/19/2023 at 2:14 PM, King Heffy said:

Exactly.  The parallels are obvious.

Not really, Grabner was here longer, he had numerous training camps and came up short. Forsling i believe was traded the same year he was drafted. Nobody saw what Grabner was going to be, hell he got WAIVED by the Panthers after getting traded and broke out with the Islanders. Guess what? Right place, right time sometimes that does happen

Forsling didn't really get much of shot here since that boneheaded GM of ours tried to hurry the process and got Adam Clendening. Grabner and Forsling's cases are nothing alike

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, JayDangles said:

He is definitely an upgrade on Juulsen. I expected him to be a little grittier, but other than that he has been steady for sure.

Good score

I agree, hes a lot better defensively than I expected. Thats what happens when you got a solid asst. coach in Adam Foote helping out rather than Nolan Baumgartner.

On 10/17/2023 at 7:46 PM, RWJC said:

I think we stand a pretty good chance to sign Bear if we want to. With Tocchet claiming D will be operating by committee, and with our current D roster being what it is, there’s a good chance Bear will find real playing time here whereas it may not be much of a guarantee on some other teams.
$$$ will obviously factor in, but it seemed he displayed some confidence here and likely maintained a good enough showing (thanks to our D situation) to further an NHL career with this being a viable opportunity to do just that. If he gets more time with QH it’ll be great for him. Think we need much better but our hands and cap are a little tied up for the foreseeable future 

Most I would offer wee Bear would be bare minimum, one year, and see if he is of any real use.

No way I would be down with a larger, longer contract for another marshmallow.

We just got rid of Rathbone who could not and will not be able to handle the heavy-going.

We have Quinton Freaking Hughes, who completely rips up the league despite his small stature.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Not really, Grabner was here longer, he had numerous training camps and came up short. Forsling i believe was traded the same year he was drafted. Nobody saw what Grabner was going to be, hell he got WAIVED by the Panthers after getting traded and broke out with the Islanders. Guess what? Right place, right time sometimes that does happen

Forsling didn't really get much of shot here since that boneheaded GM of ours tried to hurry the process and got Adam Clendening. Grabner and Forsling's cases are nothing alike

Forsling also was waived...