[Trade] Canucks have acquired defenceman Mark Friedman and forward Ty Glover from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for Jack Rathbone and Karel Plas

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure about rolling with the punches.

The team was very patient with him and he failed to bring his game to the level they wanted.

They Have! Fact is he couldn't cut it with the big club even after looking like a maybe during camps,

And that's under three coaches. There comes a time when a move is better for all. He's been OK, in Abby

and can skate like hell but even there, he can be a defensive liability. Great kid, great skater, just those 

brain farts that happen way to often. Wish hem well none the less.

Nothing really to get excited about.  As I was reading through the thread title I was looking for garland’s name.

We got two minor leaguers for a minor leaguer with a slightly higher ceiling.  Rathbone’s agent had likely told the Canucks they woul appreciate a change of scenery.

I was hoping Rathbone was a trade bullet we would throw in as a sweetener to grease the wheels on a Garland/Beauvillier move.

I guess that is what we have 2nd round picks for 😄

Edited by Provost

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Comes off as entitled.

The reality is other players kept passing him on the depth chart and it didn’t appear he was willing to put in the work.

I think his rookie AHL season may have gotten to his head.

I think he needed to be on the NHL squad after that season for his own progression.

I'm not saying that's what I would have done, but it seems to me that not getting on that team flipped something in him after "doing everything right"

Some players are able to overcome this, while others struggle through the grind.

So trading away a failed prospect for a right shot D that provides toughness and has some NHL games is something to get upset about.

Or is it the trading of a prospect that already headed back to Europe.

I criticize this club a lot for trading away pics and prospects for waiver level players.  This is trading a player that is gone and one that has dropped on the depth charts the last few years for a player that might actually be useful.

We traded our #7 or 8 left D for what is essentially our number 3 or 4 RD.  Win, though a very minor one.

Edited by DrJockitch

51 minutes ago, Rypien-Punch said:

Trading away 2 prospects for a an a journey man AHL player really highlights Vancouver's desperation to find affordable RD depth options.  

You could also look at drafting WIllander over Benson as another desperate move to fill a massive need. 

Rathbone wanted out cause he thinks he's an NHL player now, Allvin accommodated that here and got some pieces in return including a dman that can play the right side. 

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Comes off as entitled.

The reality is other players kept passing him on the depth chart and it didn’t appear he was willing to put in the work.

I think his rookie AHL season may have gotten to his head.

Burke would have driven him to the airport after that comment and been correct in doing so.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Doesn't mean there isn't a better deal out there.  Say what you want about his d play, but he's a dynamic offensive dman

He’s a dynamic AHL dman, who had no path to the NHL in Vancouver. Who knows what deals were available….maybe they’ve been shopping him for a year, and this was the best one?

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It's pretty inconsequential with upside to turn out quite well.

Similar to the Juolevi for Lammikko/Juulsen deal, we trade a stalled D-prospect who isn't making it here for some potential NHL depth.

Great comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

Nothing really to get excited about.  As I was reading through the thread title I was looking for garland’s name.

We got two minor leaguers for a minor leaguer with a slightly higher ceiling.  Rathbone’s agent had likely told the Canucks they woul appreciate a change of scenery.

I was hoping Rathbone was a trade bullet we would throw in as a sweetener to grease the wheels on a Garland/Beauvillier move.

I guess that is what we have 2nd round picks for 😄

Please-dont GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Rypien-Punch said:

Trading away 2 prospects for a an a journey man AHL player really highlights Vancouver's desperation to find affordable RD depth options.  

You could also look at drafting WIllander over Benson as another desperate move to fill a massive need. 

So you would rather they didn’t fill those needs?

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It's pretty inconsequential with upside to turn out quite well.

Similar to the Juolevi for Lammikko/Juulsen deal, we trade a stalled D-prospect who isn't making it here for some potential NHL depth.

Minor trade for sure, but they could have done better for a young offensively dynamic dman, imo