[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 0 Philadelphia Flyers 2 - Final, Oct 17th

Dumb Nuck

FWIW:  Perhaps it wasn't surprising that the Canucks lost to the Flyers in Philadelphia.

Their historical record against the Flyers in Philadelphia is:

67g  22w  42l  1t  2ol

Canucks win 1 out of 3 games when playing in Philadelphia.  This wasn't one of those games.

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Let's be honest with ourselves. 

Game 1: Oilers played a pretty bad game overall.  Canucks took full advantage and steam rolled them.

Game 2: Canucks were outplayed pretty badly and squeaked out the win.  8 times out of 10 the Canucks would have likely lost that game.

Game 3: Worst effort out of the 3.  Maybe had a bit of bad luck in the 3rd and refs didn't help, but the Canucks didn't deserve to win this one either. 

I'm actually not that impressed so far.  They look more structured which is good, but seem to be lacking that effort level needed to be a consistent playoff team in this league.  At least that's what I see after the first 3 games (and a small sample size).

i give it 10 games usually or away and home games before i start complaining about players and coaches, but some of the reffing calls are terrible as usual, so complain about them sometimes.,

42 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Lol... We all talking about players who aint here anymore? I like when Bertuzzi banged someone to get the puck and fed Morrison who saw Naslund in front.

What do you mean.  All the players I mentioned are on the team.  Pius Suter not Brandon Sutter if that's your confusion.

Edited by Pure961089

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

It's inexplicable.

Several of us used the "Happy Birthday Deb" charm/superstition in the game day thread and we still lost.

The only thing I can thing of:  did anyone remember to also sacrifice a goat this morning?

I think it was the 3 hour time difference. Deb was born at 11 mins to midnight in BC, but it was already the next day in Philly.  So we were off by a day.  Have to remedy that next game.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

What do you mean.  All the players I mentioned are on the team.  Pius Suter not Brandon Sutter if that's your confusion.

I think he meant Rafferty, I spoke of Pearson only because he is exactly what this game was missing. Someone who was the first guy in on anything to stand up for his teammates. Pretty sure he had like 4 or 5 fights in the first 15 games last season? Which is what ultimately led to his injury?

51 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Yeah, that was a short lived experiment.  Garland can't be the play driver when he's on a line with

Petey.  Maybe he can be the play driver with Buevillier and Suter.  I still like Hoglander and Rafferty together.  

Rafferty would certainly be an upgrade over Juulsen,  even with just one eye

Disappointing night. But not everything is negative, and we learned some things. 

1. It is now pretty clear that Juulsen is not a legitimate NHL RD. I like him and I really wanted him to do well. He is a former first round pick and fairly young (26) and he and Hughes did pretty well late last season. But Hughes can make anyone look pretty good. Juulsen made no progress over the summer. He did not look good in preseason and has struggled in all 3 regular season games. I expect to see Freidman in the next game instead, or maybe the game after. He is at least a legitimate 6/7 D-man.

2. Myers is not a legitimate 2nd pairing RD. Most of us thought we already knew that going into the season but, after two decent games. I thought that some combination of good coaching, the right partner, a "big summer", and re-inventing his game might have turned him into a top 4 D.  That was too optimistic. Maybe he could be a 3rd pairing RD.

3. I think Tocchet is overdoing his insistence on having guys play their natural sides on D. Others things equal, it is good. But other things are not equal, and the advantage of natural side pairs is not that big. You still need to put your best players on the ice.  It is possible that the best D-pairing the Canucks have ever had was Ehrhof and Edler in 2010-11 and they were both left shots. 

4. Demko was great tonight. More evidence that he back in top form, which is great news. 

5. Philly dominated to some extent, but the Canucks were unlucky not to score. With all the penalties and Philly being amped up for the home opener, and some guys probably still getting over the flu, the outcome is not a shock. An unpleasant surprise maybe, but not a shock.

6. Hughes and Hronek were good and so was the Miller line. Petey and his line had an off-night. It would be great to get Mikheyev back on that line. 

Let's hope for a bounce back against Tampa. 

Edited by JamesB
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

I think most of the team missed the bus to the rink today. They didn’t work hard enough to earn any breaks on the calls. That was a golden opportunity to pick up two points on a strong showing by Demko. Too many Canucks content to be pushed around, pushed off pucks, screened off their forechecking targets, setting no screens to give their D more time to retrieve pucks, just generally a team that did not want to get physically involved. Maybe we need to draft a couple of Western Canadians. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Canucklehead91 said:

I think he meant Rafferty, I spoke of Pearson only because he is exactly what this game was missing. Someone who was the first guy in on anything to stand up for his teammates. Pretty sure he had like 4 or 5 fights in the first 15 games last season? Which is what ultimately led to his injury?

Oh hah. I meant Lafferty 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Early game... But Tocc didn't have team ready to go.  

He really didn't. That interview he gave almost indicated it. He seemed almost embarrassed. Sure as hell didn't rip into his team.

I can tell there's something we don't know about. Lack of sleep because of noise. Delay getting accommodations, who knows.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JamesB said:

2. Myers is not a legitimate 2nd pairing RD. Most of us thought we already knew that going into the season but, after two decent games. I thought that some combination of good coaching, the right partner, a "big summer", and re-inventing his game might have turned him into a top 4 D.  That was too optimistic. Maybe he could be a 3rd pairing RD.

Myers is not strong enough to carry a pair, but if paired with a capable 2nd pairing dman, that pair is quite solid. We saw that in 2021-22 with OEL. They were legitimately a top 5 shutdown pair league wide for an entire season, consistently. Their stats were incredible and they took on top competition night in and night out.

The following season, idk why they split them up. They separated Myers and OEL and when shit was really going down hill they tried repairing them, but goaltending was so bloody bad that no one could have saved us. My thoughts as to why they decided to separate OEL and Myers was to average out the 2nd and 3rd pairs. Because we did have some weak guys on the back end and clearly Myers could not do anything to help Stillman, no one could, probably not even Lidstrom coulda helped Stillman and OEL was battling injury all season long. 

• Cheers 1