[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 0 Philadelphia Flyers 2 - Final, Oct 17th

Dumb Nuck

Sounds like skipping today's game was a good idea.

Was expecting to stream it after I got home, but I accidentally saw the score online early in the third.  Figured the day was shitty enough already to not deal with any more disappointment.

What BS starting at 3 on a non holiday weekday.  Effing baseball, I guess.

I knew when Hansen said it in pregame we'd get bitten. We need consistency. We played great in the home opener but not as good last game and really not well tonight. Two games in a row with 40 shots against is unacceptable for a defensive minded team.

Big game coming up against Tampa who want to prove themselves, this will be like a playoffs intensity type game so better come ready or it's another 40 shots against.

first game for soucy i don't think he looked good.. kinda like the preseason.. neither him or myers should be playing in the top 4.. contrary to everyone that just automatically pencilled soucy into the top 4.. we need someone that can play in the top 4 and neither of them are capable.. i'd be happy they are together as a 3rd pairing.. bring hirose back up or something and play him with cole.. or try out the new guy friedman or whatever his name is.. Myers and Soucy should both be a 3rd pairing defenceman that plays PK and occasionally play up in the top 4 in a pinch.. neither of them should be a staple on the top 4.. as much as i'm not a fan of bear... might just have to sign him to a minimum deal for 1 year and plug him into the top 4 either with hughes or cole.

i blame Myers for us scoring 0 goals. clearly, the rest of the team was so embarrassed by his play that they lost their mojo. i also think benning and the oel buyout are to blame. Gillis too.

am i doing it right?

Demko gave them a chance. Our skaters squandered it, and i’m sure they know it. let’s see how they respond next game before we sharpen our knives. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

This team at one point, chose Myers over keeping Chris Tanev. Still cant believe it. At least there's a time limit now on his tenure with the team.

Onto the next one.

Also chose schmidt. Tanev was under appreciated. i also remember lots of posts here stating that spending 4 m on tanev to play 60 games a year was incompatible with being a winner.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I knew when Hansen said it in pregame we'd get bitten. We need consistency. We played great in the home opener but not as good last game and really not well tonight. Two games in a row with 40 shots against is unacceptable for a defensive minded team.

Big game coming up against Tampa who want to prove themselves, this will be like a playoffs intensity type game so better come ready or it's another 40 shots against.

last time we played philly it's pretty much the same 37 shots against 23 for.. only difference was the scoreboard.. in general we give up a lot of shots every game if you includes shots that were blocked and missed.. honestly i don't think this is a recipe of success.. reminds me of green.. let the other team shoot from the perimeter it's fine if they have lots of shots.. 

a lot of ppl dont care much about advance stats but we finished 8th worse in corsi rating as a team last season and every team that finished worse missed the playoff.. so far this year we are 3rd worse after 2 games it's not updated for the 3rd game.. but i figure after tonight we are dead last.. in 5v5 situation.. they need to figure it out 5v5 and they need to figure it out fast.. it's nothing new.. we've been a bad 5v5 team going back to last season before and after RT took over.. nothing have improved nothing have changed. 

• Upvote 1

I just finished watching the game. The refs let Philly get away with stuff at critical points in the game. Annnnnd HOW COULD THEY TAKE THAT GOAL AWAY!! That goal counts and we would have 10 minutes to even it up. Philly should be hob nobbin the refs right now. The refs were elephant ears playing to the crowd for sure. Our guys could have been way sharper.

If that goal was allowed we win.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

What's new?   This team hasn't had Pushback in years and was suppossed to be addressed even after JR pointed this problem out last year.    I guess we'll have to wait!

Guys who are tough, and have even a bit of talent allowing them to play a regular shift are like unicorns, and they are making bank. Even a 32-YO fourth line scrub like Deslauriers makes $1.7 per for 3 years. He played 8:47 tonight. Canucks don't have that kind of cap space, and if you want to roll four lines, you couldn't do it with your overpaid goon. Do I wish the team had a Tom Wilson type of player? Hell yes, but they are few and far between. Nobody on this team was going to challenge Deslauriers, getting your ass beat would not be the momentum shift you were looking for. I miss Burroughs, he would have challenged him. I was glad to see Juulsen stand up for a teammate. I also don't understand why Tocchet doesn't play Studnika more. Not that he's great, but after scoring last game I thought he'd see more ice time. He or Lafferty should be Petey's other winger until Mak gets back, that line is too soft with Garland on it.

• Like 1

Finally got around to watching the highlights. If you want to call them that. It got me thinking. Is Demko our Carey Price? A great goalie that won't have a lot of meaningful playoff moments cause he's been on a team run as poorly as ours for his career? He's absolutely unreal but, geez. To think he's only sniffed the playoffs once is a travesty. Yes, it's only one bad loss. But I can't help feel this pending dread. This team has proven nothing as far as being reliable, they shrink constantly. Outside of Demko. I really, really hope this isn't the norm and is just one rough game. I don't want to believe we are gonna waste Demko's prime/career.

We desperately need a real 3rd line and to dump Myers. At this point waive his ass and tell him not to report to Abby. I have zero clue if that gives us cap relief, I doubt it. But sh*t man. I defended his first 2-3 seasons here, but at this point he is literally a negative. You're actively playing 4v6 when he's on the ice. Just healthy scratch him. Let him sit for a week or two. Just please stop subjecting the team and the fanbase to his garbage play any longer.

2 hours ago, Mr Wrong said:

I went to bed after the second, at 2 am. And I am glad I did. Now a full day at work good lord. I show more commitment for this team than some player (looking at a very tall guy playing defense…).

I mean let's not scapegoat Myers just like that. He wasn't on the ice when either goals happened, and last time I checked it's not his job to score. Sure, I remember one of his penalties killed our momentum quite a bit, but let's not put this game on him. It was a 2-0 game. Philly and Hart was solid and our top guys just didn't have that edge. Learn from it and move on to the next one. Which is Tampa (God help us lol)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

They must me all up with the flu… they can’t be this bad… at the same time I knew they were gonna lose… just a gut feeling 

Tongue in Cheek 🤪 response but ...

It's Covid

It's the Flat Cap

It's the Covid team outbreak due to the sinister Adam Gaudette  

It's the Coaching - Green sucks

It's because of the Goalie Injuries 

It's the Coaching (again) - Boudreau's fault

It's the flu 🤣 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Finally got around to watching the highlights. If you want to call them that. It got me thinking. Is Demko our Carey Price? A great goalie that won't have a lot of meaningful playoff moments cause he's been on a team run as poorly as ours for his career? He's absolutely unreal but, geez. To think he's only sniffed the playoffs once is a travesty. Yes, it's only one bad loss. But I can't help feel this pending dread. This team has proven nothing as far as being reliable, they shrink constantly. Outside of Demko. I really, really hope this isn't the norm and is just one rough game. I don't want to believe we are gonna waste Demko's prime/career.

We desperately need a real 3rd line and to dump Myers. At this point waive his ass and tell him not to report to Abby. I have zero clue if that gives us cap relief, I doubt it. But sh*t man. I defended his first 2-3 seasons here, but at this point he is literally a negative. You're actively playing 4v6 when he's on the ice. Just healthy scratch him. Let him sit for a week or two. Just please stop subjecting the team and the fanbase to his garbage play any longer.

Price would be a stretch, but he could be our Gibson.   Or just be our new Markstrom.   Not hitting the panic button yet, but for sure can see that the "buy in" isn't going to happen overnight with this crew.    We know they can be great.    If we are a game above .500 after this road trip, it's actually something to build on compared to our terrible start last season.    Team was flat.    We've played TB before when they were flat (for them) taking a break and Vasilevsky was putting on a clinic.    Happens, even to cup winners/contenders. 

• Cheers 2

Its a process... biggest problem last year was the PK and goalie until Demko came back. Those issues seems to have been rectified...

Now we were hardly going to go through the season 82-0...

Did we expect a win, yes, are we shocked we didn't? No, not on that performance...

On to the next one. Onwards and Upwards. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Bit of a rough one to watch, but I gotta hand it to Philly, they played a strong, tight checking shot blocking game and that, to me, was the difference. They snuffed out a lot of chances before they even got started. Didn't feel like the Canucks were overly dangerous in that one. The board battles and 1 on 1 puck battles were lost by the Canucks almost every time. Overall, a bit of a rough road game against a stout and hungry home opponent. On to the next one!

If we do indeed have a flu bug around the team, you have to think that RT's decision of having a tough practice the day before an afternoon game (3 pm PST) is an abysmal one at that. Not hating on him as a coach, but I hope that's a learning point for our coaching staff. Not surprising that the player who played the best (Demko) is the one who's had a good amount of rest since opening night.

We fell victim to another terrible schedule where we face teams playing their home openers more often than not. Maybe one year we won't start the season with a 5+ game road trip. 

• Cheers 1

we wasted a very good game from our goaltender.

That looked like a team that has the flu and traveled across the continent for a tough road game.

Hopefully we can regroup and come out hard against Tampa. The energy level was just not there last night.

Not much push back especially in the second period. 23-2 in shots?  pretty tough way to win a game.

• Cheers 2