[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 0 Philadelphia Flyers 2 - Final, Oct 17th

Dumb Nuck

Again give flyers a lot of credit for playing a great home opener. There could be a fair reason why canucks' energy level and effort weren't there, but we can't continue to allow 40 shots and rely on the goalie to be our best player. 

I'm not going to say we should or shouldn't beat a certain team. TB seems to be struggling without their no.1 goalie, but I can't say for sure if canucks will be ready to take advantage. I can only hope they'll recover from whatever is affecting their performance if true, and give a solid effort even if we don't get a W.

• Cheers 2

Petey line miss a lot a player like Mikheyev, they need a fast foward to open spaces. 

And why Macward was sendind down? He proved his better than juulsen an meyers. 

Didn't the coach say that you have to earn your time on the ice? 

What jul and meyer did to play against macward?

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Worst GM ever. He basically killed our club for his 8 years here and smother 8 after he’s gone because of his choices. Imagine. A GM killing us for almost 2 decades! The guy is the worst. 

He's talking about Jim Rutherford not Benning. Your hatred of Benning has blinded you...or maybe it's the booze.

1 minute ago, Fan since 82 said:

He's talking about Jim Rutherford not Benning. Your hatred of Benning has blinded you...or maybe it's the booze.

Alf does not hate Benning. Don’t know the man. What we do know of him appears he’s likeable and a decent person. But he was a terrible GM. That’s a fact. New management come across as prickly. Definitely not likeable, especially JR. But they are very good at the job and are clearly building a winning supporting cast around an elite core. 
Booze is a gift to us from the Big Bottle in the sky. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

first game for soucy i don't think he looked good.. kinda like the preseason.. neither him or myers should be playing in the top 4.. contrary to everyone that just automatically pencilled soucy into the top 4.. we need someone that can play in the top 4 and neither of them are capable.. i'd be happy they are together as a 3rd pairing.. bring hirose back up or something and play him with cole.. or try out the new guy friedman or whatever his name is.. Myers and Soucy should both be a 3rd pairing defenceman that plays PK and occasionally play up in the top 4 in a pinch.. neither of them should be a staple on the top 4.. as much as i'm not a fan of bear... might just have to sign him to a minimum deal for 1 year and plug him into the top 4 either with hughes or cole.

Keep in mind this was Soucy's first game back since injury. There is bound to be some rust as he gets back into the swing of regular season games. I am reserving judgement on him as a player until at least twenty games into the season. One game is too small a sample size to make a decision on him IMHO

23 minutes ago, GasThomas said:

Petey line miss a lot a player like Mikheyev, they need a fast foward to open spaces. 

And why Macward was sendind down? He proved his better than juulsen an meyers. 

Didn't the coach say that you have to earn your time on the ice? 

What jul and meyer did to play against macward?

I also think they have an issue with the Miller line. There is no way DiGeseppe should be on the second line. It's rather comical. How many organizations has he been in and we are the ones to give him second line minutes? Tells you a lot about our depth or lack of development from the young players who are supposed to be there. They need to fix that issue as well as adding another top four dman. All of work to do. Having Hughes and Hronek on one defense pairing is not good. The rest of the d pairings are awfulreally. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I knew when Hansen said it in pregame we'd get bitten. We need consistency. We played great in the home opener but not as good last game and really not well tonight. Two games in a row with 40 shots against is unacceptable for a defensive minded team.

Big game coming up against Tampa who want to prove themselves, this will be like a playoffs intensity type game so better come ready or it's another 40 shots against.

Well my question is why do they struggle to start games strong and competitively? Dating back to last season it was an issue. I think it's the attitude you can ease yourself into games and don't worry there is plenty of time. We are already hearing it from Miller. The season is early. Ya the season is early until it isn't anymore. I was disappointed in that comment. I want to hear that they are angry and it's unacceptable. It really might be a core issue in the end.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

Demko was amazing

Miller played well, as did Boeser

Everyone else played like shit, with Pettersson and Juulsen being especially bad, and Myers being downright pathetic. 

The officials also demonstrated how abjectly bad they are at their jobs.

Philly came to play, but still could have been beaten by Vancouver, if the Canucks on a whole gave a shit.

And outside of Juulsen and Lafferty, the team player like Charmin. 

Hopefully Tocchet

• tears a strip off the entitled portion of the roster that didn't think effort was necessary, and
  • sits Myers, advising management that he's not going to endanger the Canucks somewhat slim chances at the playoffs by wasting a roster spot on that clown.
Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I just don't understand how he can continue to make mistakes and not be held accountable. We're that desperate?

He has some ok moments, but that's not good enough. There are far too many boneheaded decisions that put us behind the play (or completely out of it).

I'm done with him.

He just has no hockey sense, rushes when he has time, takes too long when he's under pressure.  The best/worst thing was the lotto is looking dangerous like they might score and Myers sees there's five players between him & the goalie,including  and decides it's good time to see if he can shoot the puck through Petey's foot.  You can see Petey's frustration, WTH was Myers thinking.

• Vintage 2

7 hours ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

Guys who are tough, and have even a bit of talent allowing them to play a regular shift are like unicorns, and they are making bank. Even a 32-YO fourth line scrub like Deslauriers makes $1.7 per for 3 years. He played 8:47 tonight. Canucks don't have that kind of cap space, and if you want to roll four lines, you couldn't do it with your overpaid goon. Do I wish the team had a Tom Wilson type of player? Hell yes, but they are few and far between. Nobody on this team was going to challenge Deslauriers, getting your ass beat would not be the momentum shift you were looking for. I miss Burroughs, he would have challenged him. I was glad to see Juulsen stand up for a teammate. I also don't understand why Tocchet doesn't play Studnika more. Not that he's great, but after scoring last game I thought he'd see more ice time. He or Lafferty should be Petey's other winger until Mak gets back, that line is too soft with Garland on it.

Pezzetta had 2 fights last night.  He's a middleweight but tough as nails and fearless.  He can play a regular 4th line shift.  With Montreal already reeling from injuries to Dach and Guhle I wonder if he could be pried away from them for the right price 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wing said:

Again give flyers a lot of credit for playing a great home opener. There could be a fair reason why canucks' energy level and effort weren't there, but we can't continue to allow 40 shots and rely on the goalie to be our best player. 

I'm not going to say we should or shouldn't beat a certain team. TB seems to be struggling without their no.1 goalie, but I can't say for sure if canucks will be ready to take advantage. I can only hope they'll recover from whatever is affecting their performance if true, and give a solid effort even if we don't get a W.

Yeah I would never say you should beat any teams and certainly not the Lightning. They have played very well in the games I watched. 

I think the team was just kind of riding the high of great 2 game start and maybe afraid to change too much. Lead to them playing tight and the wheels fell off. It's time to brush off and re-adjust. Full speed ahead.

6 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Pezzetta had 2 fights last night.  He's a middleweight but tough as nails and fearless.  He can play a regular 4th line shift.  With Montreal already reeling from injuries to Dach and Guhle I wonder if he could be pried away from them for the right price 

Seems like Friedman is similar in that he's fearless and isn't daunted by bigger players. Swap him out for Myers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NucksRuleYou said:

I fully expect Juulsen to get waived later today and Friedman called up.

How much cap relief do we get if we waive Myers and Juulsen? 

Could a Friedman, Hirose call up make a better 6 man unit? 

I know we don't get Myers full 6m relief but would we get a portion of it? Like enough to pay a rookie to do his job instead? 

The miracle would then be if someone claims him and relieves us of the full 6m. 

Probably worth a try especially now that the bonus has been paid

That game has provided Tocchet the perfect coaching tool.  Have the players watch the game film and instruct them to concentrate primarily on all the players in orange Jerseys.  Then explain that's how you play the game properly - you hustle, take the body, block shots, swarm the opposition, play as a team, stick up for your team-mates,  win the corner battles, win the board battles.  That's why Philly won last evening; the refs did NOT control the outcome. 

43 minutes ago, BTueyCanucksFan said:

Keep in mind this was Soucy's first game back since injury. There is bound to be some rust as he gets back into the swing of regular season games. I am reserving judgement on him as a player until at least twenty games into the season. One game is too small a sample size to make a decision on him IMHO

He never was a top 4 in his career ever he was the 3rd pairing in Seattle playing the lesser competition. He didn’t particularly look good in preseason either playing higher up the pairing. Not sure why everyone is obsess with putting him in the top 4. He’s a very good 3rd pairing that can fill in occasionally. We need to stop sticking ppl in roles that’s not meant for them and then complain later when they are not working. Myers is a 3rd pairing at this point.. but the coach play him in the top 4 and ppl rip Myers for it. Like the coaches keep putting players in bad situations it’s like we don’t learn. OEL playing in roles he’s comfortable with all of a sudden he looks decent again.. anchoring pp1 not the defensive shutdown pair etc.. same with schmidt.. 

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I know we don't get Myers full 6m relief but would we get a portion of it? Like enough to pay a rookie to do his job instead? 

Only $1.15 mil in relief. I don't think it'll happen but you get my vote. 😄

• Thanks 1

I just can't believe we got destroyed by Philly. 

completely ran us out of their building. They had so many grade A chances against us. Score would be 5-0 with any other goalie but Demko. 

Juulsen and Myers were atrocious. Miller is the only one that played like he had some pride. 

I thought Hogz and Laff were ok. 

Everyone else looked checked out and not interested to get their nose dirty. 

Shots were 23-2 in the 2nd. I haven't witnessed pure domination like that for as long as I can remember. 

Funny it happened to us from a team that is supposedly a bottom feeder. What does that make us? 

I think RT is gonna make some drastic changes soon. He looked pretty fed up yesterday. 

12 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Let it go, it's not happening 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I just can't believe we got destroyed by Philly. 

completely ran us out of their building. They had so many grade A chances against us. Score would be 5-0 with any other goalie but Demko. 

Juulsen and Myers were atrocious. Miller is the only one that played like he had some pride. 

I thought Hogz and Laff were ok. 

Everyone else looked checked out and not interested to get their nose dirty. 

Shots were 23-2 in the 2nd. I haven't witnessed pure domination like that for as long as I can remember. 

Funny it happened to us from a team that is supposedly a bottom feeder. What does that make us? 

I think RT is gonna make some drastic changes soon. He looked pretty fed up yesterday. 

Tocchet is the coach for the job of slapping some sense into the softer and less committed portion of the roster.

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

He never was a top 4 in his career ever he was the 3rd pairing in Seattle playing the lesser competition. He didn’t particularly look good in preseason either playing higher up the pairing. Not sure why everyone is obsess with putting him in the top 4. He’s a very good 3rd pairing that can fill in occasionally. We need to stop sticking ppl in roles that’s not meant for them and then complain later when they are not working. Myers is a 3rd pairing at this point.. but the coach play him in the top 4 and ppl rip Myers for it. Like the coaches keep putting players in bad situations it’s like we don’t learn. OEL playing in roles he’s comfortable with all of a sudden he looks decent again.. anchoring pp1 not the defensive shutdown pair etc.. same with schmidt.. 

This is all true but it's mostly a management issue since the problem is limited personnel. We are lacking top 4 dmen, top 6 wingers, and bottom 6 players. People aren't obsessed we just lack anyone better.

I  like the idea of Soucy Myers as a pair and maybe playing Hirose with Cole. Unfortunately we won't see a true iteration of management's vision for the D until next year when Myers is gone and replaced with a real hockey player. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

I missed the game, but it sounds like Tocc should send a message and scratch Myers next game. 

He can try but I doubt there's anything he can say or do that Myers hasn't heard before.  Everyone and everyone's uncle knows unless they can

find a trading partner / yah right, we'd be one big minute with size D-man short. Like it or not, he'll fight and go to the dirty areas, maybe not swiftly

enough but he's willing. His large frame is faltering more each year. No teams going to take him without a devastating cost to the Canucks. Like a really 

shitty player in return and a draft pick three years from now and a third at that. Maybe we have something Abbotsford that can fully develope quickly.

It's Myers age for a big man, that's getting tougher for him. Can't even fight good no more. ☹️

Benning made sure Myers got the contract he wanted.

• Upvote 1

my impression of last nights game:

they did to us what we did to Edmonton in game one.

pressured us at all times. If it weren't for Demko that score would've been really ugly. (kinda like we did to the Oilers )

also, we have NEVER done very well on early in the day games. 

• Upvote 1