[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 0 Philadelphia Flyers 2 - Final, Oct 17th

Dumb Nuck

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Let it go, it's not happening 

Yeah agreed it's unlikely to happen. 

Are we holding on to him to get something at the deadline when we are out of playoff contention? 

Because a 3rd pairing of Myers and Juulsen will lead to that. 

I think a real statement would be to waive a 6m guy like Myers and play a rookie. 

If he gets claimed, great, we freed up 6m and can go spend a part of it on a guy like Bear. If Myers clears, we have him available for call up duties if a Mcward / Friedman, Hirose situation doesn't work out. 

8 hours ago, DSVII said:

This team at one point, chose Myers over keeping Chris Tanev. Still cant believe it. At least there's a time limit now on his tenure with the team.

Onto the next one.

Funny I thought it was because they didn't offer Tanev a renewal of his contract? Even back then who would have taken Myers given the deal Benning gave him.

Benning painted himself into a corner. And we've been suffering ever since. Only now we're starting to move forward. We will be lucky if Myers gets dealt at the deadline.

Reality is we're stuck with him until the end of the year. Maybe benching him for 5-10 games might help.

Edited by Ghostsof1915

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah agreed it's unlikely to happen. 

Are we holding on to him to get something at the deadline when we are out of playoff contention? 

Because a 3rd pairing of Myers and Juulsen will lead to that. 

I think a real statement would be to waive a 6m guy like Myers and play a rookie. 

If he gets claimed, great, we freed up 6m and can go spend a part of it on a guy like Bear. If Myers clears, we have him available for call up duties if a Mcward / Friedman, Hirose situation doesn't work out. 

I don't mind Myers and quite liked the pairing with Cole.  For every bonehead play he makes he makes a couple of good ones too.  Obviously he's not worth the money he gets, but he's fine enough.  

He'll be moved at the tdl, im sure.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't mind Myers and quite liked the pairing with Cole.  For every bonehead play he makes he makes a couple of good ones too.  Obviously he's not worth the money he gets, but he's fine enough.  

He'll be moved at the tdl, im sure.

In your opinion, what is Myers actually worth? 2.5m? 3m?

That's what I have him at. I guess we are overpaying him (cap wise) by 3-3.5m. 

My thought is that if we waive him, and he clears, we can try see if a 1.15m guy can do better and if that doesn't work, we can always recall Myers. 

If someone claims him, then that's 6m off the books and then we can go sign someone like Bear and still have money left. 

Lastly, it also shows the team that every player is held accountable to pull their weight and sets a new level of standard. 

Sounds like a low risk trial to me. 

So, we went from blowing out one of the best teams in the league to barely beating the same team, to looking useless against one of the worst teams in the East. 

This isn't the trajectory I wanted to see. The boys need to gut check real quick.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Reznor said:

So, we went from blowing out one of the best teams in the league to barely beating the same team, to looking useless against one of the worst teams in the East. 

This isn't the trajectory I wanted to see. The boys need to gut check real quick.

To be honest, I didn't expect a team to no show like this under RT. Same old Canucks. It'll be interesting to see how he responds in practice. 

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

In your opinion, what is Myers actually worth? 2.5m? 3m?

That's what I have him at. I guess we are overpaying him (cap wise) by 3-3.5m. 

My thought is that if we waive him, and he clears, we can try see if a 1.15m guy can do better and if that doesn't work, we can always recall Myers. 

If someone claims him, then that's 6m off the books and then we can go sign someone like Bear and still have money left. 

Lastly, it also shows the team that every player is held accountable to pull their weight and sets a new level of standard. 

Sounds like a low risk trial to me. 

He's big, can play against big players, can skate well, handles the puck alright, can play bigger mins and he's durable........he's probably a $4m guy 

• Upvote 1

It seems to me our team just plays better against run and gun offensive teams.  We struggle mightily against the bigger defensive minded teams.  The forwards on average are not big enough to play the type of game the coach wants them to.  I think management knows this and is trying to address, - Garland +a power forward (hopefully Podz) - Myers +any other defender 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's big, can play against big players, can skate well, handles the puck alright, can play bigger mins and he's durable........he's probably a $4m guy 

He's big but doesn't use his size as an advantage. Against big players especially...he could really be helpful in that regard, but really isn't. Zero hits last night....he needs to lay some hits.

He skates ok but is often a step behind. It's like he takes a second to figure out what he should do. 

He handles the puck alright but his decisions with it aren't always the best. Giveaways. Zinging a shot at the net that misses and ricochets out nicely for the other team. 

He's durable, ok, I can give him that.

I want to be in his corner but he makes it hard. He seems sleepy and slow to react, unless the puck's on his stick in which case...SHOT!

There's potential there but he has to be more effective. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't really agree with this, I think at this stage of his career, he is his best at 15 min and under for ice time.

Over that, then all the attributes you've listed as his positives fly out the window. (except being big of course)

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Game wasnt great but we shouldnt get all chicken little about it.

if the penalty shot wasn't awarded and Garland's goal not over turned we could have snuck out with a point or two.

They looked a bit sluggish...maybe the time of day, maybe they have a bit of the flibiddy- flu... but again, the sky isn't falling.

On to the next.

• Cheers 2

All that I'm concerned about is shot suppression.  Game one, 21-22 shots on net.  Games 2 and 3, 35+ shots on our goalie.  To keep our goalies healthy and give us a better chance to win, it is imperative we play a better all around defensive game.  Tocc wants to do this by holding on to the puck longer.  I'm all for it, however, I'm not yet convinced that a) we have the right mix of players to execute and b) that the players we have had for a number of years can build new habits and not revert to just dumping the puck in.

questions

Is it still the coach's job to get the players ready to play?

Was that just one of the 2 or 3 games all teams have, that suck every year; or was it a sign that nothing has really changed in our 'country club'?

Was that an indication that the plan is to let the goalie do all the real work?

Game 3 didn't look any different than multiple games under multiple coaches.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

I can only agree that he's big. I question Myers hockey sense and the ability to process the game quick enough. He loses a lot of one on one battles, doesn't use his size properly. Takes too many penalties. I don't even see average puck handling, handles the puck like a grenade. He's just terrible, so done with him. I don't want to beat a guy when he's down, but he has to go. The game has gotten to quick for him. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I can only agree that he's big. I question Myers hockey sense and the ability to process the game quick enough. He loses a lot of one on one battles, doesn't use his size properly. Takes too many penalties. I don't even see average puck handling, handles the puck like a grenade. He's just terrible, so done with him. I don't want to beat a guy when he's down, but he has to go. The game has gotten to quick for him. 

Well said.

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's big,

6'8" 230 lbs. Yes, he's big.

can play against big players

So do small and medium sized players....

can skate well

For a big player.

handles the puck alright

If by alright, you mean like a hand grenade covered in radioactive dogshit, sure.

can play bigger mins

He can, but he shouldn't, as he becomes a liability the more he plays, especially against players with a modicum of skill and speed.

and he's durable

So is Bounty.

.he's probably a $4m guy 

$2.5M.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

6'8" 230 lbs. Yes, he's big.

So do small and medium sized players....

For a big player.

If by alright, you mean like a hand grenade covered in radioactive dogshit, sure.

He can, but he shouldn't, as he becomes a liability the more he plays, especially against players with a modicum of skill and speed.

So is Bounty.

$2.5M.

You see it your way, I see it mine.  I'd bet he'd get nothing lower than $4m on the open market

• Vintage 1