[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 0 Philadelphia Flyers 2 - Final, Oct 17th

Dumb Nuck

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

You see it your way, I see it mine. 

That's the beauty of this place. 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd bet he'd get nothing lower than $4m on the open market

If only because he's a larger player. Teams still pay a premium for size, hence Columbus spending $4M on Erik Gudbranson.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

He's big but doesn't use his size as an advantage. Against big players especially...he could really be helpful in that regard, but really isn't. Zero hits last night....he needs to lay some hits.

He skates ok but is often a step behind. It's like he takes a second to figure out what he should do. 

He handles the puck alright but his decisions with it aren't always the best. Like zinging a shot at the net that misses and ricochets out nicely for the other team. 

He's durable, ok, I can give him that.

I want to be in his corner but he makes it hard. He seems sleepy and slow to react, unless the puck's on his stick in which case...SHOT!

There's potential there but he has to be more effective. 

For some reason yesterday our whole team looked to be second guessing themselves. Myers definitely is a lightening rod because he’s already under the microscope…but everyone yesterday aside from Demko didn’t play a confident game. 

Like Toc mentioned, when they should have shot the puck they passed it off. When they  did shoot the puck it was going wide or hitting a body. Our playmaking/passing was off because to Phillys credit they plugged all the lanes and were heavy on all our guys forecheck wise. It was a suffocating game…

This is what worries me the most. Our smaller/lighter forwards completely disappeared. And we have a lot of them unfortunately. Yesterday’s game proves we need more size in our line up…

As for Myers, he was sooo bad. He’s in over his head it seems. We need him to play less so we can minimize his mistakes, then maybe he may be able to refocus and make some better plays…just not sure what is going on with him.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Wonder how much this has to do with how passive the Canucks vs the Flyers?  Me thinks plenty !!!

I think they already know this team is soft. Look at the guys they brought in this off-season. Tough PK type guys.

This trade was made before the game even started.

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

For some reason yesterday our whole team looked to be second guessing themselves. Myers definitely is a lightening rod because he’s already under the microscope…but everyone yesterday aside from Demko didn’t play a confident game. 

Like Toc mentioned, when they should have shot the puck they passed it off. When they  did shoot the puck it was going wide or hitting a body. Our playmaking/passing was off because to Phillys credit they plugged all the lanes and were heavy on all our guys forecheck wise. It was a suffocating game…

This is what worries me the most. Our smaller/lighter forwards completely disappeared. And we have a lot of them unfortunately. Yesterday’s game proves we need more size in our line up…

As for Myers, he was sooo bad. He’s in over his head it seems. We need him to play less so we can minimize his mistakes, then maybe he may be able to refocus and make some better plays…just not sure what is going on with him.

Hrs no worse than anyone else, he's just the whipping boy.  Can he be better?  Of course, but he's not nearly as bad as he's portrayed here

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Sending a message.  Earn your ice time.  Hirose wasn't even playing so can't blame him.  He's taking one for the team. 

Let's see what the new guy can do.  

Hirose has shown he's likely earned himself a roster spot for next season when Cole is gone. Which is awesome. He can put in a full year in Abby, gain some size and strength and come back a terrific bargain third pair guy.

I was hoping Juulson would be better... but it is what it is. Friedman will get a shot at his job. 

• Cheers 2

well...from what little i could tell from the highlights....the flyers outworked the canucks. they simply seemed to have more energy and i think thats pure and simple as to why they won. hopin for a bounceback against the lightning....they should be extremely cautios considerin tampa is a team that is a potential cup contender...

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hrs no worse than anyone else, he's just the whipping boy.  Can he be better?  Of course, but he's not nearly as bad as he's portrayed here

Agreed, I think once the coaches know how to use him and put him in the proper places to succeed game wise we will see our giraffe round back to form.

Last 2 seasons we have leaned on him too much. So many coaching changes. A guy like Myers probably needs a bit if time to adjust to new systems…repetition is key here. Special players learn on the fly…all the rest it’s all about systems, rinse and repeat until it’s all locked into their long term memories. So when plays do occur it’s just instinct/reaction to do what is needed to make the right play…that shit takes time for most players.

I’m still open to this season going either way. Because come this off season we will actually have some cap space to play with to make changes needed to take the next step. 

35 minutes ago, Calamity K said:

This game was a big test for the team. There was no "taking on the would be champs" vibe, so we get a real sample of what to expect going forward. I hope not.

Next game is a bigger test.  Legit playoff team and coming off a bad loss.   See if they can stem the tide and get back to playing well.   Last yrs team will just keep finding ways to lose.  Let's see if this team is really different.  

3 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Agreed, I think once the coaches know how to use him and put him in the proper places to succeed game wise we will see our giraffe round back to form.

Last 2 seasons we have leaned on him too much. So many coaching changes. A guy like Myers probably needs a bit if time to adjust to new systems…repetition is key here. Special players learn on the fly…all the rest it’s all about systems, rinse and repeat until it’s all locked into their long term memories. So when plays do occur it’s just instinct/reaction to do what is needed to make the right play…that shit takes time for most players.

I’m still open to this season going either way. Because come this off season we will actually have some cap space to play with to make changes needed to take the next step. 

I think these coaches know how to use defensemen fairly effectively. It's the player, not the system that's failing. Myers isn't capable of carrying a pairing and ends up bringing whomever he's paired with down. Juuls is a call up type defenseman and not an NHL regular. 

I don't think any amount of acclimation to new systems will make a difference to Myers being a serviceable player. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Game wasnt great but we shouldnt get all chicken little about it.

if the penalty shot wasn't awarded and Garland's goal not over turned we could have snuck out with a point or two.

They looked a bit sluggish...maybe the time of day, maybe they have a bit of the flibiddy- flu... but again, the sky isn't falling.

On to the next.

Did you not see Tocchet's post game interview? You're a lot more forgiving than him, he called out everyone except Demko....basically saying early that "guys better get their shit together".

"What if's?"...."maybes"...."flu bugs"....why are you so willing to accept mediocrity and provide excuses? THEY WERE AWFUL.

No, the "sky isn't falling", that's extreme, but there's definitely cause for concern, especially when similar patterns have been seen previously.

And as for "a bit sluggish", slugs look a bit "sluggish"....the Canucks were comatose 3-toed sloths yesterday.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Why does this Friedman trade make me feel like we traded Rathbone to replace Burroughs who we let walk?  

Kind of. Rathbone has pretty much zero value, so all good. In the end, all these borderline NHLers are interchangeable and it comes down to the right fit, right time to maybe get more out of these players. Keep moving around the furniture and maybe you like a piece here or there.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think these coaches know how to use defensemen fairly effectively. It's the player, not the system that's failing. Myers isn't capable of carrying a pairing and ends up bringing whomever he's paired with down. Juuls is a call up type defenseman and not an NHL regular. 

I don't think any amount of acclimation to new systems will make a difference to Myers being a serviceable player. 

I hope your wrong Phil…it’s gonna be a long season if you’re right lol. I’m hoping for the best here. Leave me in la la land for a bit won’t you…🤪

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Did you not see Tocchet's post game interview? You're a lot more forgiving than him, he called out everyone except Demko....basically saying early that "guys better get their shit together".

"What if's?"...."maybes"...."flu bugs"....why are you so willing to accept mediocrity and provide excuses? THEY WERE AWFUL.

No, the "sky isn't falling", that's extreme, but there's definitely cause for concern, especially when similar patterns have been seen previously.

And as for "a bit sluggish", slugs look a bit "sluggish"....the Canucks were comatose 3-toed sloths yesterday.

Not a fan of Rick so I didn't watch his presser.

Just saying it's a long season and that was a flat game. Not going to run around saying 'THEY WERE AWFUL' over a 2 goal game where they were just kinda ok. I mean Myers was awful but the rest were a bit of meh with the exception of Demko  (ofcourse) Brock and Lafferty.

There's no excuses but may have been some reasons for the performance. Hockey is like that, it's why there are 7 game playoff series', any given Sunday a bad team can beat a good on in  a one off. Hope Rick didn't freak out too much. It's still early.

• Cheers 3