[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 0 Philadelphia Flyers 2 - Final, Oct 17th

Dumb Nuck

They are trying desperately to change the culture.
Rutherford is always this way brings in players gets closer look and then moves on quickly if doesn’t like what he sees. 
Like Stillman last year, cut bait and move on. 

Garland has not played with the visciuosness his game needs.  It was there last season early but disappeared   He need to be more Cicarelli than St Louis at his skill level. Maybe he can find that elsewhere but time to move on. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I agreed with commentators. Puck was loose in goalies feet. Garland had every rite to follow the puck on and try to push it in. Goalie wasn’t down or set, didn’t have possession in anyway. Only way it makes sense is if Garland missed the puck shoved the goalie in the net dragging the puck with it. Didn’t have great view from front but maybe refs did. 

I think we're kind of talking about two different things here. The commentators kept saying it was Boeser they were looking at though whom I didn't even see make any contact whatsoever. In that regard I think the announcers were out to lunch as they were looking at the wrong player entirely. I think they called Garland and not Boeser for the interference. Rightly or wrongly.

1 hour ago, Conscience said:

Im a canucks homer as much as anyone but come on that was goalie interference on the garland no goal and it was the right call

I got in late and wasn't completely dialed in and was kind or resolved to losing after seeing how poorly they were playing. Looked like they got it right to me though too. Could have went either way but when you're in that tight in the crease you don't usually get the benefit of the doubt. In the end I was kind of like meh whatever lol.

5 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I’m not saying he will figure it out, not at his age. Just saying that when systems change year after year for the past 3 years it’s hard to get dialed in. Some guys take longer to adjust. If the system keeps changing i’d imagine it’s hard for a lot of players to wipe all the stuff that’s been taught to them by the previous coach and be completely dialed in on what the new coach wants. I guess I’m willing to give the whole team a few more months to get on the same page…unfortunately may be too late by then to make the playoffs. This year i’m gonna try and take it easy. It’s a 50/50 year. Could go either way for us.

Aha Okay got you. That is very true there are definitely some mitigating circumstances at work. However I don't think it's a factor that much in the context of things. Myers is just slow to react and make decisions. He's never getting any better and in fact will just get worse and worser.

I like you though am willing to give the team and RT some time to work things out. You are correct in that it could go either way. Here's to hoping for the best.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think we're kind of talking about two different things here. The commentators kept saying it was Boeser they were looking at though whom I didn't even see make any contact whatsoever. In that regard I think the announcers were out to lunch as they were looking at the wrong player entirely. I think they called Garland and not Boeser for the interference. Rightly or wrongly.

I got in late and wasn't completely dialed in and was kind or resolved to losing after seeing how poorly they were playing. Looked like they got it right to me though too. Could have went either way but when you're in that tight in the crease you don't usually get the benefit of the doubt. In the end I was kind of like meh whatever lol.

Aha Okay got you. That is very true there are definitely some mitigating circumstances at work. However I don't think it's a factor that much in the context of things. Myers is just slow to react and make decisions. He's never getting any better and in fact will just get worse and worser.

I like you though am willing to give the team and RT some time to work things out. You are correct in that it could go either way. Here's to hoping for the best.

Oh you bet, the problem is definitely between his ears lol. I’m just being polite, instead of saying he’s a brick short of a full wall mentally lol…he doesn’t strike me as very bright…I hate saying that but in all his interviews it seems that way.

His one interview that they aired last game between him and Miller. Question was “do you have any regrets” or something like that…he immediately answers, “I have none I just move forward in life”…kinda struck me as brash and unwilling to reflect on past mistakes to make yourself better in the future…totally over analyzing things…but it still come off that way to me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, I agree. I would rather have a smaller player like Hirose who has the ability to play the game properly if he can handle the physical rigors. Myers made the league based on his size but just about all very large players struggle with mobility on some level. For Myers he's just far too slow to process the game and send instructions to his giant oversized body at the same time. The game has passed him by. I admit he is still an NHL defender but the type of player I just can't stand. It's so annoying to see the grade school level of mistakes cost the the team games. I'd rather a player lose out in a foot race or get beat by a good play as compared to Myers just passing it right to the other team or not being able make a simple play or read. Thankfully the end is only a season away. It's seems like it's been forever.

Yip. As I've said before, I don't like piling on a struggling player. I've met Tyler several times here in Kelowna and I've seen him at the rink in the summer working hard on his skating. He's a very good man and is trying his best. He was probably always challenged with hockey sense and quick thinking, but came in as a youngster at a time when the NHL was a lot different. Calder to boot! His game, his maneuverability are done. Sorry, is what it is. As you said he's barely a bottom pairing dman at this point in his career. A career that he should have full pride in. Just is what it is. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

Yip. As I've said before, I don't like piling on a struggling player. I've met Tyler several times here in Kelowna and I've seen him at the rink in the summer working hard on his skating. He's a very good man and is trying his best. He was probably always challenged with hockey sense and quick thinking, but came in as a youngster at a time when the NHL was a lot different. Calder to boot! His game, his maneuverability are done. Sorry, is what it is. As you said he's barely a bottom pairing dman at this point in his career. A career that he should have full pride in. Just is what it is. 

Exactly. The NHL is a very hard league. It's not easy for anyone and I don't really want to bash him and I am probably too hard on him. I definitely wouldn't be so crass if I met him in person but sometimes the internet needs hyperbole. Just about every 33 year old 230 lbs. player is going to struggle with the pace of the game. It's just a matter of how much.

He should be proud of his career . He's been good some longish stretches in the 3 games this year as well, in addition to the usual odd plays. Hopefully he finds a niche spot where he can be a solid contributor this year.

• Cheers 2

The number 1 positive thing about the first 3 games has been our goaltending.  Which performance was better the 4-3 win from DeSmith or the 40 save performance from Demko?  If this is our goaltending going forward were very fortunate. Number 2 has been our penalty kill.  Cole has been all world defensively. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 hours ago, Dom said:

Petey is totally leaving this offseason. 

I say if he doesn't want to be here so be it. I don't really want a player that doesn't want to be part of the solution. If he doesn't bleed blue and green maybe being up front about so we can move him for some assets. I'd rather he just say I don't want to be part of this team moving forward than humming and hawing about it.

6 hours ago, stawns said:

You see it your way, I see it mine.  I'd bet he'd get nothing lower than $4m on the open market

If Cole is worth 1x$3M on the open market, Myers is a stretch at $4M, even considering handedness and the cap increase.

lol. Myers is a stretch. Good one Huggy.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It would be great if there was some sort of review board (third party) that would review questionable calls made by officials in the league that are clearly contentious based on a set parameter of criteria, agreed upon both by the NHLPA and the NHL. Any official found making questionable calls would be reviewed and if the official displays a pattern of doing so, they're suspended from officiating NHL games and are demoted to a minor league until they display a greater consistency and adherence to the rules. 

I would take a twitter account posting a short educational video after contentious/reviewed calls.

The problem with this is they would have to admit to getting some of the calls wrong.

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly. The NHL is a very hard league. It's not easy for anyone and I don't really want to bash him and I am probably too hard on him. I definitely wouldn't be so crass if I met him in person but sometimes the internet needs hyperbole. Just about every 33 year old 230 lbs. player is going to struggle with the pace of the game. It's just a matter of how much.

He should be proud of his career . He's been good some longish stretches in the 3 games this year as well, in addition to the usual odd plays. Hopefully he finds a niche spot where he can be a solid contributor this year.

That's why a player like that needs to re-think his game. Wasn't it Luke Schenn who said he really thought about, and realized he needed to re-invent his game after being waived by Anaheim? 

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, I agree. I would rather have a smaller player like Hirose who has the ability to play the game properly if he can handle the physical rigors. Myers made the league based on his size but just about all very large players struggle with mobility on some level. For Myers he's just far too slow to process the game and send instructions to his giant oversized body at the same time. The game has passed him by. I admit he is still an NHL defender but the type of player I just can't stand. It's so annoying to see the grade school level of mistakes cost the the team games. I'd rather a player lose out in a foot race or get beat by a good play as compared to Myers just passing it right to the other team or not being able make a simple play or read. Thankfully the end is only a season away. It's seems like it's been forever.

Aside from being drafted 12 oa and winning the Calder you mean?

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1