[PGT] Vancouver Canucks 0 Philadelphia Flyers 2 - Final, Oct 17th

Dumb Nuck

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

If anyone had told me the Canucks would have four points after their first three games, I would have been pleasantly surprised.

Granted, I would have thought the Flyers would have been one of the wins.  But I still would have been pleasantly surprised.

I would rather this loss to flyers than a loss to coilers.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Oh you bet, the problem is definitely between his ears lol. I’m just being polite, instead of saying he’s a brick short of a full wall mentally lol…he doesn’t strike me as very bright…I hate saying that but in all his interviews it seems that way.

His one interview that they aired last game between him and Miller. Question was “do you have any regrets” or something like that…he immediately answers, “I have none I just move forward in life”…kinda struck me as brash and unwilling to reflect on past mistakes to make yourself better in the future…totally over analyzing things…but it still come off that way to me.

Who are you talking about? 

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly. The NHL is a very hard league. It's not easy for anyone and I don't really want to bash him and I am probably too hard on him. I definitely wouldn't be so crass if I met him in person but sometimes the internet needs hyperbole. Just about every 33 year old 230 lbs. player is going to struggle with the pace of the game. It's just a matter of how much.

He should be proud of his career . He's been good some longish stretches in the 3 games this year as well, in addition to the usual odd plays. Hopefully he finds a niche spot where he can be a solid contributor this year.

Yeah his play despite having fallen off the cliff, was alot better earlier when wearing the Canuck uniform.  Let's not make it he was like Loui E who consistently stunk from game 1 to the end of his time here.  IMHO 

46 minutes ago, Naslund19 said:

Who are you talking about? 

Alflives :classic_ninja:

Canucks Talk really put the Myers situation into perspective. 

Thomas Drance made a good point that you can't blame for what happened in the game (or for any game) really. Myers has never been player that drives the structure or tempo of a team, he's more of a player that supplements whatever structure is set in place. 

Which is a fair point but Jamie Dodd did make another point is that he signed with the team with the expectation that he is a Top 4 D-man and in most cases Top 4-Dmen are usually part of the team that drives the play. 

So it's a case of we can't blame Myers because he was never that kind of player but that was the expectation when he joined the team based on the Contract he signed.  

So do you blame Myers for not living up to these expectations or do you blame the Organization by setting unrealistic ones on Myers?

Edited by iinatcc

• Jess unpinned and unfeatured this topic
1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Thomas Drance made a good point that you can't blame for what happened in the game (or for any game) really. Myers has never been player that drives the structure or tempo of a team, he's more of a player that supplements whatever structure is set in place. 

Which is a fair point but Jamie Dodd did make another point is that he signed with the team with the expectation that he is a Top 4 D-man and in most cases Top 4-Dmen are usually part of the team that drives the play. 

So it's a case of we can't blame Myers because he was never that kind of player but that was the expectation when he joined the team based on the Contract he signed.  

So do you blame Myers for not living up to these expectations or do you blame the Organization by setting unrealistic ones on Myers?

It's one of those UFA's that looked good at the time. But the term was too long. Remember Vancouver had issues signing free agents at one point. If Petey walks, that could start happening again depending what happens.

On 10/18/2023 at 8:00 AM, wai_lai416 said:

last time we played philly it's pretty much the same 37 shots against 23 for.. only difference was the scoreboard.. in general we give up a lot of shots every game if you includes shots that were blocked and missed.. honestly i don't think this is a recipe of success.. reminds me of green.. let the other team shoot from the perimeter it's fine if they have lots of shots.. 

a lot of ppl dont care much about advance stats but we finished 8th worse in corsi rating as a team last season and every team that finished worse missed the playoff.. so far this year we are 3rd worse after 2 games it's not updated for the 3rd game.. but i figure after tonight we are dead last.. in 5v5 situation.. they need to figure it out 5v5 and they need to figure it out fast.. it's nothing new.. we've been a bad 5v5 team going back to last season before and after RT took over.. nothing have improved nothing have changed. 

Yeah even just the eye test tells us that we're bad 5 on 5. Miller's line is the only good one out there, I worry about Petey and Kuz 5 on 5 without Mikheyev and wonder if they need a shakeup. Our bottom 6 really is a mess of good fringe NHLers who have looked good at times, but with so much player movement they lack chemistry to forecheck and produce 5 on 5.

Same thing can be said for our D, it's all well and good saying that everyone will play with everyone else but then they lack the time to grow chemistry with each other. 

Look at the 2 good spots of this team - Miller's line and our PP. Both have been stuck together for a while. Both have developed chemistry now. The rest keep moving around so much that it's hard, I'm not surprised we suck 5 on 5.

Getting Mikheyev back for our top line will be key in many ways.

22 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yeah even just the eye test tells us that we're bad 5 on 5. Miller's line is the only good one out there, I worry about Petey and Kuz 5 on 5 without Mikheyev and wonder if they need a shakeup. Our bottom 6 really is a mess of good fringe NHLers who have looked good at times, but with so much player movement they lack chemistry to forecheck and produce 5 on 5.

Same thing can be said for our D, it's all well and good saying that everyone will play with everyone else but then they lack the time to grow chemistry with each other. 

Look at the 2 good spots of this team - Miller's line and our PP. Both have been stuck together for a while. Both have developed chemistry now. The rest keep moving around so much that it's hard, I'm not surprised we suck 5 on 5.

Getting Mikheyev back for our top line will be key in many ways.

yup.. the other issue with our poor 5v5.. people can complain all they want about reffing.. but tbh the way we were playing 5v5 or more so the way we were dominated 5v5.. we ain't helping ourselves drawing any powerplays.. we ain't doing anything to draw any obvious powerplay where the refs are forced to call a penalty.. right now it feels like the only way we are going to score a goal is on the PP.. we have the 3rd worse corsi and fenwick % despite winning 2 of the 3 games.. 4th best goals % but 3rd worse expected goals %. game 1 we played well but at the same time edmonton forgot to show up.. and the goaltending is awful.. game 2 edmonon showed up but the goaltending was again awful.. we could easily have been 1-2 by now and 5v5 was god awful in the last 6 period and won because of the PP.. we ain't gonna draw PP if we continue to play awful 5v5. 

mikheyev back is key yes.. but getting garland off the top line is a bigger key.. he plays like he is the play driver of the line when really he's not.. i dont care if he plays hard and forecheck and stuff.. he needs to go straight to the net the dirty area wait for the puck.. instead of trying to carry the puck and make plays.. he needs to be the passenger on the line and just wait for the puck and shoot the damn puck when he have kuz and EP as his linemate who are both superior by country miles in terms of passing and playmaking.. he's dragging the line down so bad and RT instead of taking garland off.. he throws EP into the blender and that also makes kuz useless because he's still stuck with garland.. heck i put pdg laffefty beau any of those on the top line before i put garland there.. i was skeptical in the preseason.. and i was right to be skeptical.. his playstyle doesn't work

11 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I blame the organization for continuing to play him without holding him accountable when he makes mistakes. When has he ever had ice time taken away or been told it's unacceptable. He just continues to get ice time. You also hear how important he is without really anyone saying he needs to be better or that blatant mistakes are unacceptable at his age. He just gets throw him out there again. Oh he made another mistake. Throw him out there again. I don't get that. How does that look to younger players who get stapled to the bench for making the same play?

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

On 10/18/2023 at 9:30 AM, CanucksJay said:

To be honest, I didn't expect a team to no show like this under RT. Same old Canucks. It'll be interesting to see how he responds in practice. 

It's easy to sit here after years of less than mediocrity and be worried it will continue. And obviously, it wasn't an acceptable performance by RT's standards so I expect he ripped them a new asshole. But I still have high hope for this season that we're on the right track. As I type this, we're up 2-1 against Tampa and actually have a reasonable amount of shots. Looks like a bounceback game to me - although we've been less than dominant. 

Does it matter that the Coilers lost 4-1 to Philly last night too????

Maybe Philly isn't the pushover everyone thought they were going to be!

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/player-grades-slow-and-sloppy-edmonton-oilers-take-another-l-this-time-versus-philadelphia-flyers

Edited by Mackcanuck

Hey all.  I didn't watch the game due to crap going on at home, and seeing the boys were already losing, I didn't need more shit in my life.  I watched highlights with both Flyers goals scored, and Myers wasn't involved in either one.  I see he had two penalties, but obviously did not lead to any goals against.

Was there any reason for him getting roasted in here for his play, or is it just the same ol crowd hating on the guy?

What a BS penalty shot call though.