Bag skating and hard practices

Blue

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

Sure funny that we have nearly a page worth of posters who think the only determining factor in human athletic endurance is effort. Nothing else. 

The Canucks roster all collectively decided to dial their effort back 10% just because. 

Toch does do weird things.

I remember Hronek's first game- last year. Rick was saying they were going to ease him in, keep his minutes down, as he had not played in quite some time.

That game ended with Hronek playing the most minutes of any Canuck.

If there was a 'bag' skate it was, imo a mistake. 

flu problems, early eastern start problems, early in the year. Too soon to 'play that card'.

• Upvote 1

bag skates are fine.. but he should pick and choose when to do them.. especially not with a game the next day. if he did it with a day rest in between before the game.. probably no big deal. pro athlete or not.. your body needs time to rest and heal.. there's reason why teams usually looks more tired on the 2nd of back to backs.. having them skate/practice or whatever to the point of exhaustion to get your point across and then have a game the next day pretty much equates to having a back to back game imo. whatever.. i dont think RT last long here in vancouver whether he's a good coach or not.. i'm guessing he'll last till the end of his contract..  it's a fact that most of these tough attitude coaches don't last in this league whether they are right or wrong unless they have some amazing success. i view him in the same category as sutter torts etc in terms of attitude and being hard on the players trying to hold them accountable etc.. minus the success.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Sure funny that we have nearly a page worth of posters who think the only determining factor in human athletic endurance is effort. Nothing else. 

The Canucks roster all collectively decided to dial their effort back 10% just because. 

That is because giving it your all in the face of tiredness, lack of motivation etc . . . is what separates winners for losers.  

Achieving the highest level of success is really hard and you have to show up every day. Ever tried to complete a fitness or other dedication goal yourself and failed because you were 'just tired' or didn't have the drive to pull it off ? Why did you fail ? or maybe you didn't and your a world champion or captain of industry.  I know i have - which is why I'm some loser wasting their time posting shit on the internet and not a millionaire NHL player myself

If NHL - PRO Athletes can't take a bag stake then put out a performance the next day - then how are they going to possibly win a back to back game ?!?! 

The reason so many of us think this way is we have seen years of this core not looking up for a fight, taking the easy way out year after year and having far too many games where the only reason they lose is because they can't play up to their own level.  They are soft and need to learn to be winners. 

Edited by Eddie
  • ThereItIs 1

I think RT took this game a little personal, old team w.e. He could have played up that pride factor to motivate the guys. But who knows.

Thinking about it,we have been here before. It was like 5 or 6 years ago i think. I remember it was a problem then too. 

My recommendation was to play a line from Utica with fresh legs and zero jet lag. I would say the same thing today, I would have a couple fresh legs fly out early and be ready to be added in. Let the sick guys rest. A fourth liner and a defenseman maybe. I recommended it then and I would do that now. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blue said:

Sure funny how you got people discussing a bag skate without backing it up that there even was one😀

Spoiler

Spoiler

All I can say is that its better to swing the hammer down now, after three games, than in 4 months when its too late.

It may have even affected the outcome in the score against Philly. Well worth it though if it means we end up winning more games through the season. The sooner the players understand how serious Tocchet is about being in shape and always ready for games, the better.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

24 minutes ago, kilgore said:

All I can say is that its better to swing the hammer down now, after three games, than in 4 months when its too late.

It may have even affected the outcome in the score against Philly. Well worth it though if it means we end up winning more games through the season. The sooner the players understand how serious Tocchet is about being in shape and always ready for games, the better.

Agreed

Better crack the whip now than later. The players that can't handle it can leave because we weren't going to win with them anyway

Again. A bunch of yahoos completely missed the point. 

These yahoos really seem to believe that the Canucks roster uniformly decided to reduce their effort by 10% and that's why they lost the game. And that coach Torts ...er I mean Tocchet needs to punish and threaten them so that they don't choose to reduce their effort again. 

What are they ..? High school students ? 

How many of you have real jobs? How does it go over when some new boss comes in and questions your effort and treats you like children ? For the record I've been and employee and employe. 

I'm gonna laugh my ass off when Petey packs his bags for the same reason Tkachuk did in Calgary. Some pig headed coach who doesn't even trust that we are giving 100% and thinks we need to be threatened into it. 

Half the team spends the summer in the gym "oh you're still a bunch of soft lazy fucks".

If this looks like it does on the surface , Tocc will be tuned out faster than Torts

Edited by Blue
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 10/17/2023 at 9:07 PM, PureQuickness said:

Styles of leadership have changed over the years. Why should coaching stay the same?

Nowadays a heirarchy doesn't make sense. Collaboration is the way to do things. I don't see a point in bag skates at all. They are old school and Green out of all people used them when he was around.

Tocchet and Green are cut from the same fabric. I don't know if Tocchet is the right coach. I must admit though, we played well for the first two games.

Well the first game rocked it, 2nd one not so much but since then? It's like it's a completely different team, lots of plain bad reads, over committing in the ozone and resulting in odd man rushes (hanging Demmer out to dry) and taking penalties galore... 

Seems to me whenever they play really good for awhile they think they can coast and win and that's not going to happen anytime soon. 

You could argue we have had some new faces and need acclimation time and I'd agree to a certain extent but the core has to step up a lot more, well other than Demko, Hughes & Miller who have been playing hard every night, oh and Lafferty as well...

Without a solid 60 mins of a solid 2 way effort and consistently, we won't get far, again...

7 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yay for trying hard. I think we are all past the stage of being fine with them just playing hard.

You are the biggest effort bro on this site and now you're saying "we are past the stage of being fine with them just playing hard" 

LMAO1-1.gif

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol this thread is still alive? 

If I was @Blue I would have hoped this would die and become buried below all the other threads.

I was not the one blaming the teams effort for the Flyers loss. 

Philly is 8 hours away. Ottawa is a little closer but still almost 6 hours. Just watch. Our energy level will be lower 

On 11/8/2023 at 5:13 PM, Metal Face Doom said:

This thread won't age well.

Umm look at the Ottawa game. The same chicken little's are panicking and the team is having lapses and give-aways and risks losing. 

Why ? Same reason as the Flyers game. A long flight east and time change 

13 hours ago, Blue said:

Umm look at the Ottawa game. The same chicken little's are panicking and the team is having lapses and give-aways and risks losing. 

Why ? Same reason as the Flyers game. A long flight east and time change 

Except we won.  And they're professionals, they'll figure it out.  If they don't then I'm sure GMPA would be happy to send whoever isn't treating this as a profession onto their next team for someone who understands it takes some hard work to get to the ultimate goal and welcomes whatever challenges are thrown their way, including bag skates after a long flight.

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Except we won.  And they're professionals, they'll figure it out.  If they don't then I'm sure GMPA would be happy to send whoever isn't treating this as a profession onto their next team for someone who understands it takes some hard work to get to the ultimate goal and welcomes whatever challenges are thrown their way, including bag skates after a long flight.

Indeed we did. But instead of sniping at the boys for their effort , we should simply understand that flying and time changes effect the team. 

On 11/8/2023 at 11:43 PM, Blue said:

I was not the one blaming the teams effort for the Flyers loss. 

Philly is 8 hours away. Ottawa is a little closer but still almost 6 hours. Just watch. Our energy level will be lower 

Nobody was saying anything until you necro'd your own thread. Sure time and travel has some effect on performances but your reductive approach is barely any better than saying they didn't put enough effort in. With the amount of parity in the league most teams will have bad games throughout the season, sometimes after travelling, sometimes after a back-to-back, and sometimes at home after a few days rest. So far they seem to have managed the workload pretty well.

As for Chicken Little, your reaction to one pratice session and one game kinda fits the bill.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1