[GDT] Vancouver @ Tampa Bay, Thursday, October 19th, 4pt/7et, SNP, SN650.

Chickenspear

Wet blankets say the same things every year just waiting to pounce after losses in order to be right. Losses for them are like adding gas to a fire. 

This team is better in so many ways. We're on a tough road trip to start the season. We do need to win one of these Florida games. With Vasilevsky out, we have a shot. If we can come out of this road trip 2-2, we'll be ok. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Three games into the season.  Three.

2 wins and 1 loss and I see people already trying to drive the blame train at full speed.

We're gonna need a bigger sample size than three god damn games if we want to adequately judge whether something is a trend and/or what they are capable of.

Pipe down, chickens.

screaming the rock GIF by Moana

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

They had a flat game, maybe it was illness, maybe it was overconfidence.

What I also said is I care more how they respond.

I am not clutching a dagger, I want to see if this is the club of the last few years that wilts every time things get serious or if the changes have started to have effect.

As far as going hard on them I didn't even accept the supposition that Tocchet was pushing them very hard, certainly not bag skating them.  He has focused more on battle drills and the reason is clear, the team seriously lacks battle a lot of the time.

This is what the last 2 games have illustrated.

I think you're waiting to assess on a game by game basis.

All teams will have great games and all teams will have flat games. For whatever reason. 

You may not accept that they were pushed hard, but there are reports out there that it was a tough practice. He reportedly made them "skate lines" at the end, etc.

Were you at the practice (I was not, so cannot confirm). But I don't disagree that they have to battle harder on the boards and that wasn't the case. The refs helped set a bit of a tone in what we could/couldn't do (like usual), but I'd prefer they take penalties to establish that they were going to be tougher on the puck rather than back off.

Again, someone assigning this club with the baggage of "the club of the last few years". Our core (Petey, Quinn, JT, Kuz, etc.) have shown us some good things. They had a rough start last year but didn't really "wilt" as things got serious and they pushed to improve. They actually have shown some resiliency in the past.

2 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Three games into the season.  Three.

2 wins and 1 loss and I see people already trying to drive the blame train at full speed.

We're gonna need a bigger sample size than three god damn games if we want to adequately judge whether something is a trend and/or what they are capable of.

Pipe down, chickens.

screaming the rock GIF by Moana

Exactly this! Great post! It's been brutal behavior. Especially seeing so many people plan the parade when we were 2-0. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I don't buy this, it's a shared responsibility.

There's a balance to be struck in coaching and overcoaching. I like Rick and feel he's serving this team well...but how do WE know? Every coach comes in with their own ideas and ego can factor in. "I'm going to whip these guys into shape" may be part of it, but if you deplete the reserves after illness has run through a team, that's to be considered. Yes, they're high paid athletes and conditioned to weather storms but...they're also human. And some act like they're not. 

Not sure why they looked so bad...but I don't buy in that they're just terrible or that they don't care. 

The team gets penalized when answering, and in a lopsided way it seems. I prefer them to respond, but it's a joke how things are addressed (or not) by piss poor refs. 

If you don't like excuses the coaches are not immune in that. Because if the team's not getting the message it's the job of high paid coaches to deliver it so they do.

Not sure if ref has bias against the Canucks for many years.  Very rarely I have seen ref call a game fairly.  That is just my observation.   Calls against us seems to be iffy, to be honest when compared to standard called compared with other teams at the same period of time.  Whenever we response, they will be very selective when it comes to calls.  Very sticky situation when we need a PP badly, a boarding call and a response was necessary but choose to just call a roughing penalty because the opponent didn't give a chance to defend himself.  Very strange because even if we didn't response and, they still call roughing the both ways and other teams still get its PP and we didn't from last game.  No win-win situation because of ref's bias.  Very possible!

• Cheers 1

I don't mind Rick calling out players after the last game. I get it's a 82 game season, but sending a message to the team and put them back on the right track goes a long way. I don't know if we want to wait till game 10 to address this. If the team responds tonight, that's a good sign that they are reacting positively to the coach's criticism. 

The issue with this team in the past is you don't know which version of the team shows up. They can be super good one game, and go back to the old self the next game. So for me W or L is not the most important. I'd like to see more consistency from the team throughout the season and less of roller coaster rides. I don't think our team is deep enough yet to be able to win games consistently without 100% effort (except when Demko steals one for us).

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Wet blankets say the same things every year just waiting to pounce after losses in order to be right. Losses for them are like adding gas to a fire. 

This team is better in so many ways. We're on a tough road trip to start the season. We do need to win one of these Florida games. With Vasilevsky out, we have a shot. If we can come out of this road trip 2-2, we'll be ok. 

This is how I feel. I don't totally blame them, as it's been tough being a fan of this team. But give credit where it's due. Don't just default to the script of "we've been bad for years".  We're not the same team and the guys in place have given us reasons to be hopeful (Petey, Quinn, Kuz, JT, Demko).

People were screaming to get rid of JT....and to see how he shut down McD and his sidekick Dsaitl was absolutely awesome. That counts for something and people STILL bring up "lazy back checks". Move on. 

Team is changing and it's not the same. This was our line up 2 years ago...so why are we crying over the past like this team's responsible in the here and now. We stated 0-7 last year...we're 2-1. It's time to let go of the past and face forward in my view.

392927664_10160585725710549_141114438306

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly this! Great post! It's been brutal behavior. Especially seeing so many people plan the parade when we were 2-0. 

That was done purely in sarcasm/fun from what I've seen. I believe that most do understand it's a long season that isn't won-lost in October.

We're allowed to have fun. The other stuff just gets draining.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Very strange because even if we didn't response and, they still call roughing the both ways and other teams still get its PP and we didn't from last game.  No win-win situation because of ref's bias.  Very possible!

I honestly would prefer if they'd play tough and take the penalties...we do seem to get them whether or not we engage so at least make them count.

Not illegal stuff...but good, solid hits and battles that, if we get called, they're at least maybe for something. Rather than the stuff they make up.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I honestly would prefer if they'd play tough and take the penalties...we do seem to get them whether or not we engage so at least make them count.

Not illegal stuff...but good, solid hits and battles that, if we get called, they're at least maybe for something. Rather than the stuff they make up.

Agreed. The Nucks need to take penalties but make them count. These soft penalties are a reflection of a soft team. Think Boston and Philly. Hugging a guy after he boards one of your players and being penalized is a total waste.

Edited by NHL Tyranny
typo
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I think you're waiting to assess on a game by game basis.

All teams will have great games and all teams will have flat games. For whatever reason. 

You may not accept that they were pushed hard, but there are reports out there that it was a tough practice. He reportedly made them "skate lines" at the end, etc.

Were you at the practice (I was not, so cannot confirm). But I don't disagree that they have to battle harder on the boards and that wasn't the case. The refs helped set a bit of a tone in what we could/couldn't do (like usual), but I'd prefer they take penalties to establish that they were going to be tougher on the puck rather than back off.

Again, someone assigning this club with the baggage of "the club of the last few years". Our core (Petey, Quinn, JT, Kuz, etc.) have shown us some good things. They had a rough start last year but didn't really "wilt" as things got serious and they pushed to improve. They actually have shown some resiliency in the past.

Not going to continuing arguing about the minutia of practices none of us attended.
This team has consistently shown a lack of resiliency when games mattered but I am not putting the last few years on them this season but it is fair to use them as comparators to track progress. My statement was that I want to see if they are responding to adversity better than previously. 
This was a team that had a chance to grab their destiny and claim control of a playoff spot numerous times during the Bruce bump and pretty consistently lost to bad teams and would fall flat for a few games until they were out of it again. Rinse, repeat. It is easy to win games when the pressure is off and you are out of it.
What I want to see is if this pattern has changed with the player changes and Tocchet, need to look back at where this team has crapped the bed recently to get an idea where or if things are improving. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

This is how I feel. I don't totally blame them, as it's been tough being a fan of this team. But give credit where it's due. Don't just default to the script of "we've been bad for years".  We're not the same team and the guys in place have given us reasons to be hopeful (Petey, Quinn, Kuz, JT, Demko). 

Team is changing and it's not the same. This was our line up 2 years ago...so why are we crying over the past like this team's responsible in the here and now. We stated 0-7 last year...we're 2-1. It's time to let go of the past and face forward in my view.

392927664_10160585725710549_141114438306

I get the reason for disappointment and frustration as fans - I feel it - but chronic negativity and toxicity are completely different. But you're right in that we're not the same team, so to still cling to the same arguments from years past is weak.

The culture is changing to what we've wanted all along - no more country club, more accountability, harder to play against, higher compete, etc, etc.

But ... it's going to take time. 

We can see the changes and improvements over last year's team ... but ... FFS ... we're only three games in. We need a much bigger sample before we start freaking out.