[GDT] Vancouver @ Tampa Bay, Thursday, October 19th, 4pt/7et, SNP, SN650.

Chickenspear

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Not going to continuing arguing about the minutia of practices none of us attended.
This team has consistently shown a lack of resiliency when games mattered but I am not putting the last few years on them this season but it is fair to use them as comparators to track progress. My statement was that I want to see if they are responding to adversity better than previously. 
This was a team that had a chance to grab their destiny and claim control of a playoff spot numerous times during the Bruce bump and pretty consistently lost to bad teams and would fall flat for a few games until they were out of it again. Rinse, repeat. It is easy to win games when the pressure is off and you are out of it.
What I want to see is if this pattern has changed with the player changes and Tocchet, need to look back at where this team has crapped the bed recently to get an idea where or if things are improving. 

"This team"

Which team? The one this year or....when? It's not fair to track progress based on players/coaches who weren't here and the ones here who didn't start 0-7 (like in the past) but are now 2-1. 

Again, I get why people are jaded but that's a personal choice. To dwell on the past or be excited for the future.

It's funny though..."not going to argue a practice none of us atteded"...but you did, and that was my point. It's just as valid to discuss possibilities of how the practice maybe contributed to a lack of effort/energy as it is to slough it off because it "wasn't" the way it's been reported out there. You said "he has focused mostly on battle drills" but you weren't there (either).

Anyhow...my deal is that I'm tired of the incessant negativity that surrounds this team and automatically defaults to "they're bad" because they have been in the past. There have been bright spots and I just prefer to focus there.

Cheers, not going to rain on my parade*

*NOTE: I am not planning a SC parade but it's certainly fine to wish and hope for one and have fun with it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Should be an easy game.

6-1 Win!

I hope the team doesn't view it this way. Although do I detect sarcasm?

I never feel like we'll have easy win. Against anyone. It'll take a long time to convince me otherwise.

I really don't know what to expect anymore, but I'm hopeful.

13 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

...I am not putting the last few years on them this season BUT...

As you proceed to do exactly that with your entire god damn comment.

Everything you're saying is based on past results, past feelings about those results and NOT based on the here and now.

Bottomline is THREE games is too small of sample size to gain any tangible insight to where they are or what they are capable of-- good OR bad.

Edited by Canuckle
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Canuckle said:

Everything you're saying is based on past results, past feelings about those results and NOT based on the here and now.

Bottomline is THREE games is too small of sample size to gain any tangible insight to where they are or what they are capable of.

Wow okay, sorry to you and @-dlc-  

The past doesn’t exist. 
We can’t compare to anything because nothing before this October happened. 

First of all I haven’t been attacking the teams like you 2 are characterizing. I am very much saying let’s see how we respond. Why is that important because we have sucked at responding to adversity in the recent past. Now since I can not use the past as a comparator and can’t judge this team based on three games of increasingly poor effort I will stick with this.

We are a perfect lineup with amazing players and the bestest coach ever except when he is mean and makes them work which makes me sad😢

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Bottomline is THREE games is too small of sample size to gain any tangible insight to where they are or what they are capable of-- good OR bad.

Spot on!

It's similar to complaining about our needs on defense, we make improvements in Hronek, Cole, Soucy, recently Friedman, even signing guys like Hirose, McWard, etc, and still clinging to the same issue that our D sucks.

Granted it's not the best but has improved in the here and now and isn't the same as last season.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

This is how I feel. I don't totally blame them, as it's been tough being a fan of this team. But give credit where it's due. Don't just default to the script of "we've been bad for years".  We're not the same team and the guys in place have given us reasons to be hopeful (Petey, Quinn, Kuz, JT, Demko).

People were screaming to get rid of JT....and to see how he shut down McD and his sidekick Dsaitl was absolutely awesome. That counts for something and people STILL bring up "lazy back checks". Move on. 

Team is changing and it's not the same. This was our line up 2 years ago...so why are we crying over the past like this team's responsible in the here and now. We stated 0-7 last year...we're 2-1. It's time to let go of the past and face forward in my view.

392927664_10160585725710549_141114438306

This is our roster from game #4 last year (the 3rd period collapse at Capitals);

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/202210170WSH.html

8 players gone (42%). New season, new team, new hope.

GCG!

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rip The Mesh said:

Don't know where to put this, Reckon I'll just put it here..🙃

Ha, was just doing the same.

I'm super stoked...my Petey jersey is a skate jersey. My Miller is blue skate in rink and my Brock is orca. 

(My next purchase will be a Miller skate jersey...he wears it well)

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

The past doesn’t exist. 

First of all I haven’t been attacking the teams like you 2 are characterizing. I am very much saying let’s see how we respond. Why is that important because we have sucked at responding to adversity in the recent past. Now since I can not use the past as a comparator and can’t judge this team based on three games of increasingly poor effort I will stick with this.

We are a perfect lineup with amazing players and the bestest coach ever except when he is mean and makes them work which makes me sad😢

It's neither.

Of course you can keep the cautious optimism, the skepticism in the back of your mind.  We all do it. We're God damn Canucks fans.

But what we can't do is speak it outloud and ACT like those thoughts are some unbiased opinion when it's anything but that. Your entire comment, everything you're saying is based on the past and not the here and now.

Suspension of judgment is about all we can rationally do at this point, as THREE games THIS SEASON is simply  too small of sample size to judge adequately about much of anything, whether good OR bad.

"Suspended judgment is a cognitive process and a rational state of mind in which one withholds judgments, particularly on the drawing of moral or ethical conclusions. The opposite of suspension of judgment is premature judgement, usually shortened to prejudice. While prejudgment involves drawing a conclusion or making a judgment before having the information relevant to such a judgment, suspension of judgment involves waiting for all the facts before making a decision."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_judgment

Edited by Canuckle
feathers. feathers everywhere.
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

The past doesn’t exist. 

You completely ignore the point. And that last line is ridiculous and immature as it doesn't reflect what I (or others) are saying. So why exaggerate? If your points are strong you shouldn't have to.

The past doesn't include many of these guys. 

But sure, keep going (not even listening anymore at this point because you're stuck on yours)

Compare last year's roster to this year's to see that....it's a bit different.

Compare last year's start to this year's to see that...it's a bit different  ((0-7)

Anyhow, until you do listen to some of what's being offered, it's a futile attempt.

I'm not denying you the right to be stuck in the past. Just as you shouldn't deny us the chance to let go of it and have some hopeful optimism.

So far looks a lot like last few years.  Bad efforts, getting outshot handily, soft on the wing.

In your own words, "lets see how we respond". You seemed to jump ahead of that and also overlook the fact that we're 2-1 not 0-7.