[GDT] Vancouver @ Tampa Bay, Thursday, October 19th, 4pt/7et, SNP, SN650.

Chickenspear

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I like Kuz a lot but I fear he wont excel under a dude like Tocchet. I could see him annoying the coach with his happiness.

Then again, I'm not sure EP is best coached by Rick either. EP seems hard enough on himself, he doesn't need a stick....more of a carrot person. 

Moral of my story....I'm looking at you Rick...pressure is on. 

This is totally on the players. The coaches have given them the tools its up to them to execute. That last game was not a good effort at all. Petterson gets roughed up on the boards and no answer or aggression from players like Joshua, PDG or Myers? There is something wrong with that.

I really don't like when we make excuses for the players they are the ones making millions of dollars to perform, if they don't, that is all on them.

Just now, EdgarM said:

This is totally on the players. The coaches have given them the tools its up to them to execute. That last game was not a good effort at all. Petterson gets roughed up on the boards and no answer or aggression from players like Joshua, PDG or Myers? There is something wrong with that.

I really don't like when we make excuses for the players they are the ones making millions of dollars to perform, if they don't, that is all on them.

Felt like we wer outcoached last game too...

Did Rick mention that?

3 minutes ago, Bane said:

This is a big game in the sense of how Canucks respond after an embarrassing loss and with Tocchett calling them out.

if they come out guns blazing, then it speaks volume of the teams character. 

I agree, this is where we see the character of the team of not. If they play like game 1 more often, they win most of those games, if they play like game 3, its going to be a long season.

We have seen the team come out and outplay a flat opponent for a big win in opener.

We believed we were that good and didn't play well but were saved by goaltending in the second game.

We believed we were even better and playing a bad team and we were embarrassed, showing no pride or work ethic.

What team are we?  Which team shows up tonight should tell us a lot more of what this years iteration of the team is.

So far looks a lot like last few years.  Bad efforts, getting outshot handily, soft on the wing.

It is a WIP for both Tocchet and Allvin but the wings on this team just don't match up with Tocchet's preferred style and as long as we feature Myers in top 4 we will be a very inconsistent team.

Hope for a better effort from the team and a better buy in to the systems.

Secondarily would like the win but want to see the team try first.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't buy this, it's a shared responsibility.

There's a balance to be struck in coaching and overcoaching. I like Rick and feel he's serving this team well...but how do WE know? Every coach comes in with their own ideas and ego can factor in. "I'm going to whip these guys into shape" may be part of it, but if you deplete the reserves after illness has run through a team, that's to be considered. Yes, they're high paid athletes and conditioned to weather storms but...they're also human. And some act like they're not. 

Not sure why they looked so bad...but I don't buy in that they're just terrible or that they don't care. 

The team gets penalized when answering, and in a lopsided way it seems. I prefer them to respond, but it's a joke how things are addressed (or not) by piss poor refs. 

If you don't like excuses the coaches are not immune in that. Because if the team's not getting the message it's the job of high paid coaches to deliver it so they do.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree, this is where we see the character of the team of not. If they play like game 1 more often, they win most of those games, if they play like game 3, its going to be a long season.

You are going to decide based on a handful of games?

Let them work out the kinks and get rolling before we deem them "good" or "bad". They're likely somewhere in between but some here wait for them to fail so that can stick.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Yeah the winning or losing the battle along the boards has a lot to do with the coaches, yeah right.

So, he didn't mention it? They have to all be better. Rick and co. included... 

Where did I say that I thought the players weren't also to blame during that game? 

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I don't buy this, it's a shared responsibility.

There's a balance to be struck in coaching and overcoaching. I like Rick and feel he's serving this team well...but how do WE know? Every coach comes in with their own ideas and ego can factor in. "I'm going to whip these guys into shape" may be part of it, but if you deplete the reserves after illness has run through a team, that's to be considered.

Not sure why they looked so bad...but I don't buy in that they're just terrible or that they don't care. 

The team gets penalized when answering, and in a lopsided way it seems. I prefer them to respond, but it's a joke how things are addressed (or not) by piss poor refs. 

If you don't like excuses the coaches are not immune in that. Because if the team's not getting the message it's the job of high paid coaches to deliver it so they do.

Flat games happen for lots of reasons.

Would like to see how they respond in this game.  Is it the team that wilts under pressure like the last several seasons or do they stand up and put in the effort tonight.

Reffing didn't lose us the game, a long travel road game and I am hearing some illness prior to or during it made our guys sluggish and tired, is my take. Reffing didn't help at all, mind you. 

Even as bad as we looked, only a 2-0 loss, so I am not concerned, we are at .666 and a win tonight would rock! 

TBL are no slouches, our side is going to have to be their best road selves today!

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

So, he didn't mention it? They have to all be better. Rick and co. included... 

Where did I say that I thought the players weren't also to blame during that game? 

And this is what he focused on in every practice, battle drills.  Of course this led to one of our pearl-clutching fans to start a thread that Tocchet was too hard on our precious little pumpkins.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Reffing didn't lose us the game, a long travel road game and I am hearing some illness prior to or during it made our guys sluggish and tired, is my take. Reffing didn't help at all, mind you. 

Even as bad as we looked, only a 2-0 loss, so I am not concerned, we are at .666 and a win tonight would rock! 

TBL are no slouches, our side is going to have to be their best road selves today!

200.gif

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

And this is what he focused on in every practice, battle drills.  Of course this led to one of our pearl-clutching fans to start a thread that Tocchet was too hard on our precious little pumpkins.

Did it? Who's the pearl grabber you are dissing?

Pretty early for that.

We're 3 games in. Lots of chiken littles running around blaming all things in the hockey world. Rick even, already...not calling them 'soft' but...

That game wasn't very good at all but was not the worst. If we're gonna be good we gotta keep the highs and lows in check.

11 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Nothing like some Florida sunshine to help the players get over being sick and a win to help the fans let go of the pearls lol 

Gonna be a great game! 

• Cheers 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

Fans are allowed to have different ideas/opinions though without all the adjectives.

So tell me in your words, why did the team lose in a poorly executed game? They don't care? They're not good? I'd like you to offer something because dagger clutching fans are no better than the rest of us.

I think he meant that fans were being too negative by blaming it all on Rick for having too hard a practice. 

Dagger clutching fans usually throw the coaching under the bus with the rest of the team. 

22 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Wonder if he has the flu that has been going through. Not unusual to see the Canucks as bad as last night but unusual to see Pettey so flat. 

So, on the one hand, you offer that maybe Petey and others were under the weather. 

Is that an ideal time to "go hard" on them at the season start on a road trip? Or maybe, as they're recovering, pace it so they can show up for a game with some energy in the tank? Depleting it at practice is a possibility if people have just gotten over illness. 

I feel that's a legitimate question/concern.

21 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Fans are allowed to have different ideas/opinions though without all the adjectives.

So tell me in your words, why did the team lose in a poorly executed game?  After some have been ill?

They don't care? They're not good? I'd like you to offer something because dagger clutching fans are no better than the rest of us.

Just now, -dlc- said:

So, on the one hand, you offer that maybe Petey was under the weather. Other have reportedly been so also. 

Do you think that's an ideal time to "go hard" on them? Or maybe, as they're recovering, pace it so they can show up for a game with some energy in the tank? Depleting it at practice is a possibility if people have just gotten over illness. 

So tell me in your words, why did the team lose in a poorly executed game?  After some have been ill?

They don't care? They're not good? I'd like you to offer something because dagger clutching fans are no better than the rest of us.

They had a flat game, maybe it was illness, maybe it was overconfidence.

What I also said is I care more how they respond.

I am not clutching a dagger, I want to see if this is the club of the last few years that wilts every time things get serious or if the changes have started to have effect.

As far as going hard on them I didn't even accept the supposition that Tocchet was pushing them very hard, certainly not bag skating them.  He has focused more on battle drills and the reason is clear, the team seriously lacks battle a lot of the time.

This is what the last 2 games have illustrated.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1