Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

9 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, I can see teams holding off until Ohtani makes his decision. That being said, I'd hope that Atkins has asked their camp if there is a legitimate shot at landing him. Otherwise, they're just wasting time and could lose out on other options.

I'd be all in on Bellinger myself.

Yes, that’s very true. I guess last time he was intrigued by the blue jays as well and wants to play with Vlady. So I think you have to have that talk with them. Are you going to sign here or not?, because if you’re not, we have to acquire about 5 everyday pieces. 

I hate how free agency works in baseball. It can be months before teams start signing the big names. 

6 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Yes, that’s very true. I guess last time he was intrigued by the blue jays as well and wants to play with Vlady. So I think you have to have that talk with them. Are you going to sign here or not?, because if you’re not, we have to acquire about 5 everyday pieces. 

I hate how free agency works in baseball. It can be months before teams start signing the big names. 

I think @flickyoursedin nailed it there....

The big names won't likely sign until the biggest fish (Ohtani) is off the market. We'll see teams active on the second tier players and maybe some of the higher ranked pitchers, but guys who hit homers for a living will want to see who loses out on the Shohei Sweepstakes before they sign....

Jays and radio play by play, Ben Wagner part ways.

Sounds like Rogers' is screwing things up---- agaqin.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/rogers-sportsnet-pulls-the-plug-on-blue-jays-radio-voice-ben-wagner/ar-AA1kJVHf?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=2ece1e97693a4c18b13174e4faca18fd&ei=36

"

Blue Jays broadcasts will have a different sound to them in 2024, thanks to the latest baffling move by Rogers Sportsnet.

After bizarrely setting up Ben Wagner to fail for the better part of the past three seasons, Rogers has unceremoniously pulled the plug on the team’s radio voice."

-------------------------------------

more at link

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, runningback33 said:

Maybe they hire Ben Shulman to be the #1 play by play guy for the Jays on radio(Dan’s son) he’s currently doing play by play for Raptors 905

It would be a step up for Ben.

I'd like to hear audio of Dan, at his first professional microphone gig, just to see how much they sound  alike, at the same age.

If he took the gig, he better save up a bunch of his salary; A lot of these big companies seem to be forgetting it is the employees that helped them get big.

Way too much firing and lay offs going on, while the CEO rakes it in.

Will also mention that Rob Fai- who used to do the  Vancouver Canadian games, might get a  chance at the Jays gig.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Pears said:

I'll say this if Ross does the unthinkable and lands Ohtani I will 100% no questions asked take back every bad thing I've ever said about him. 

I will buy #17 as soon as his number is confirmed.

On the other hand, I want the league's best to be in the playoffs and I don't trust this team to do that consistently.

Latest intel has the Jays kicking the tires on Joc Pederson, Michael Brantley and IKF....

Basically lower rent, left handed versions of Teo, in JP and MB....and a younger, (and again theoretically cheaper) replacement for Whit Merrifield in IKF.

All three of these should be viewed as fallback options as all three aren't likely to duplicate the offensive production of the guys they're supposed to be replacing.

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1

Honestly, I don’t really care if Soto is a possible rental player. If the Jays falter and don’t make it far into the playoffs next year. You’re probably going to see them enter a rebuild anyways, with Vlad and Bo only controlled for one more year. You can just trade those two and re-gain the prospects you loss in the Soto trade (Tiedemann and Orelvis).

If the Jays actually make it far into the playoffs; you do everything possible to re-sign Soto (45m per year), and extend both Vlad and Bo. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/jeff-blair-reported-that-the-blue-jays-might-look-to-move-george-springer-this-winter/ar-AA1kYkPF?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=dbae33b63b5d48eb848c3d10e1a2ffdf&ei=18

"

Whether it’s been Bo Bichette or Ricky Tiedemann, the Toronto Blue Jays have been no stranger to trade rumours this young off-season. However, a new name was brought to the table on Sunday afternoon special thanks to Sportnet‘s Jeff Blair.

According to Blair, 10-year veteran George Springer might be on the minds of Toronto’s front office in an effort to work around his contract. Springer is entering the fourth year of a six-year, $150 million deal with the Blue Jays. Springer signed with Toronto prior to the 2021 season, one of the first marquee acquisitions in the team’s current competitive window. Furthermore, it still stands as the team’s largest contract in Blue Jays history.

------------------------------------------------

More at link