Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Honestly, I don’t really care if Soto is a possible rental player. If the Jays falter and don’t make it far into the playoffs next year. You’re probably going to see them enter a rebuild anyways, with Vlad and Bo only controlled for one more year. You can just trade those two and re-gain the prospects you loss in the Soto trade (Tiedemann and Orelvis).

If the Jays actually make it far into the playoffs; you do everything possible to re-sign Soto (45m per year), and extend both Vlad and Bo. 

Agreed. It's time to do something similar to what the Raptors did with Leonard and do everything they can to bolster this core before it's too late.

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

Honestly, I don’t really care if Soto is a possible rental player. If the Jays falter and don’t make it far into the playoffs next year. You’re probably going to see them enter a rebuild anyways, with Vlad and Bo only controlled for one more year. You can just trade those two and re-gain the prospects you loss in the Soto trade (Tiedemann and Orelvis).

If the Jays actually make it far into the playoffs; you do everything possible to re-sign Soto (45m per year), and extend both Vlad and Bo. 

I think the Jays are actually in a position of strength, their drafting and development under the Shapkins regime has rocketed. I’ve heard that the trade for Soto could be Tiedmann, Manoah, Kirk and clement. 
 If Also by some miracle we land Ohtani, I think we have to do whatever it takes to go all in this year. 

But they better Fire the hitting coach and Schneider if they falter. No excuses if they build another all star roster. 

8 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I think the Jays are actually in a position of strength, their drafting and development under the Shapkins regime has rocketed. I’ve heard that the trade for Soto could be Tiedmann, Manoah, Kirk and clement. 
 If Also by some miracle we land Ohtani, I think we have to do whatever it takes to go all in this year. 

But they better Fire the hitting coach and Schneider if they falter. No excuses if they build another all star roster. 

Yikes, huge overpayment for Soto.  He is a free agent in 1 year (and a Boras client, I believe, so you know he's going to free agency)

You have to wonder how serious the Braves are about Ohtani....According to reports, one of the things that is making the Jays a contender is the fact that Vladdy is there. (probably Bo as well)

But playing with Acuna has to be just as attractive.....maybe moreso.

4 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

You have to wonder how serious the Braves are about Ohtani....According to reports, one of the things that is making the Jays a contender is the fact that Vladdy is there. (probably Bo as well)

But playing with Acuna has to be just as attractive.....maybe moreso.

Playing with Trout was supposed to be attractive too... though I'll concede the teams are in different positions currently.

27 minutes ago, Colonel D said:

Playing with Trout was supposed to be attractive too... though I'll concede the teams are in different positions currently.

It's secondhand information, so take it FWIW, but the reports I heard were that Ohtani chose the Angels because he wanted to be on the West coast and because Trout was there. He likely figured they could build a winner there at some point.

Now, from what I've heard, being on the west coast isn't as important. (Although the Dodgers are still the favorites, AFAIK) He wants to go someplace he can win.

We have to remember that the Jays were a lot of people's preseason pick for the World Series. It's just that nobody counted on Manoah's struggles and down seasons for so many of the hitters. Going into next year, Ohtani must like what he sees in the rotation (even if he won't be part of it for season one) and there's a good chance that hitters like Vladdy, Springer and Varsho have better seasons at the dish.

I can't see how it would be otherwise, with the protection (and the left/right balance) that Ohtani would provide.