Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

I'm happy with this year's World Series....

It won't be won by the Jays, but it also won't be won by the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, or Astros. I'm not particularly down on the Phillies, but I have to admit to some guilty pleasure at seeing Bryce Harper and JT Realmuto lose as well....

Either Marcus Semien, or Gabe Moreno and Lourdes are going to end up with rings and I'm down with it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/21/2023 at 10:59 AM, Olli Juolevi said:

I don't mind Varsho too much. His defence and baserunning are so good he really only needs to be about an average or slightly below average bat to be a really solid contributor. Putting up 3.9 WAR while having an OPS+ of 80 or whatever he had is pretty impressive. If he can get his OPS+ to the 95-105 range he'd be awesome.

What bothers me more is seeing Kirk in the lineup while Moreno's in Arizona. IIRC, the three young outfielders from AZ being discussed were Varsho, Carroll, and McCarthy. It seems pretty clear that we got the worst of their three outfielders and kept the worst of our three catchers in the process. Kirk's great at blocking and receiving but he can't really throw for shit and his greatest asset as a hitter is his ability to put the bat on his shoulder and take walks. Once he draws that walk he plugs up the basepaths though. I'm not sure he's still a Major League player if we were to get robo umps. 

I’m fine with trading Moreno over Kirk, but trading a top 10 prospects amongst the entire league, you’d expect someone like J-Ram coming back, not Dalton Varsho.

Speaking of free agents.....

If you're anything like me, you get a bit tired of hearing how the Jays are "in on" this or that free agent, only to see them sign with someone else. That being said, signing this guy could be the answer to the question of who will be the Jays' 5th starter next season:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-among-the-strongest-candidates-to-sign-cuban-pitcher-yariel-rodríguez/ar-AA1jnG38?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=4567f98f32384a5c95ec22a721693a0b&ei=116

I tend to think this is a bit of clickbait, since starting pitching should not be the top priority for Shatkins. Still, if they could somehow find a way to sign Rodriguez and a power bat for the middle of the order, I'd call it a pretty successful offseason....

• Upvote 1

3 Jays win Gold gloves

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/good-as-gold-three-blue-jays-capture-gold-glove-awards-for-defensive-excellence/ar-AA1jr8lQ?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=16ed3f907bde4ec387fb0539c4052c86&ei=22

"

On defence anyway, the Blue Jays were as good as gold in 2023.

That clear strength of the 89-win team was recognized on Sunday night when a trio of Toronto players were awarded American League Gold Gloves at their respective positions.

Matt Chapman, an ace at the hot corner and anchor of the Jays infield D won his fourth Gold Glove at third base and was joined by centre fielder Kevin Kiermaier, who regularly made highlight-reel plays in the outfield, and stellar defensive starting pitcher Jose Berrios.

Of course, the honours further highlight the challenges facing general manager Ross Atkins as the off-season gets under way with Chapman likely to hit free agency and Kiermaier already in that category.

Two other Jays were finalists at their position after outstanding seasons — left fielder Daulton Varsho and catcher Alejandro Kirk, whose work behind the plate is elite.

more at link

• Cheers 1

Pretty sure Chappy will be the only pending FA they extend a QO to. I believe the number is around 20 million and the team is reasonably sure he'll reject it and try and make bank in a relatively weak free agent pool.

The whole aim here is to get the compensatory draft pick that comes with a rejected QO.

As much as they like KK, Hicks and 2 hit Whit, they won't take a chance on any of them accepting a 20 mil deal, so they'll walk for nothing.

• Thanks 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-acquire-left-handed-pitcher-brendon-little-from-cubs-for-cash/ar-AA1juCYe?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=7408c001298f4bcc8a010820fed14808&ei=39

"

The Toronto Blue Jays made their first trade of the offseason on Monday, grabbing left-hander Brendon Little from the Chicago Cubs.

Little is a 27-year-old left-handed pitcher who spent his entire 2023 season at Triple-A with the Iowa Cubs. In 73.1 innings with the Cubs' affiliate he posted a 4.05 ERA and managed 73 strikeouts, while walking 38. The lefty has only appeared in one MLB game in his career, allowing three runs in 0.2 innings against the Blue Jays on August 30, 2022.

• Thanks 1

Chapman, and 6 others, turn down qualifying offer

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/all-seven-free-agents-who-received-a-qualifying-offer-including-matt-chapman-have-declined/ar-AA1jVNe4?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=49936efdd1d043ae9a4073666f3b9f19&ei=15

"On Tuesday afternoon, MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand reported that all seven free agents who received a qualifying offer from their respective teams opted to decline. The seven players were Chapman, Shohei Ohtani, Cody Bellinger, Sonny Gray, Josh Hader, Aaron Nola, and Blake Snell. 

The 30-year-old third baseman had an interesting season for the Blue Jays in 2023. Chapman slashed .240/.330/.424 with 17 home runs in 581 plate appearances for a 110 wRC+ and a 3.5 fWAR, second on the team in that regard. He also won his fourth American League Gold Glove at third base, posting 12 Defensive Runs Saved and 4 Outs Above Average.

------------------------------

More at link, regarding compensatory pick being a 4rth rounder, due to Jays large payroll.

Still an outside chance he re-signs in Toronto, but allegedly turned down a $100 mill offer.

• Thanks 1

Possible changes to pitch clock- maybe a reduction of 2 seconds , when runners on base.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/mlb-considering-big-change-to-pitch-clock/ar-AA1jZk1A?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=e43a683fff7c44b7812416554129fb24&ei=64

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

apparently the average game time went up, as the season progressed, now up to 2:44 in Sept as compared to 2:37 in April.

Maybe the could look at how long it takes a runner to go from home to first, and if they can't cover the distance in a certain time, call the player out?

Looking at you Alejandro Kirk.-   not serious.

But when do these rules ruin the game, rather than help?

Seems to be getting close.