Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/shohei-ohtani-wins-second-al-mvp-award-ahead-of-pivotal-free-agency/

Shohei Ohtani wins second AL MVP Award ahead of pivotal free agency

ohtani1280-2-1040x572.jpg

Los Angeles Angels designated hitter Shohei Ohtani (17) hits a solo home run against the Toronto Blue Jays during first inning American League MLB baseball action in Toronto on Friday, July 28, 2023.

• Thanks 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/the-dodgers-are-apparently-interested-in-bo-bichette-though-there-s-been-no-suggestion-the-blue-jays-would-move-him/ar-AA1k3ula?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=abb501fd0f7f4f638974ad4c562d59c4&ei=16

"

The off-season always comes with some… interesting trade proposals.

One of these such proposals came from MLB.com’s  Juan Toribio, who noted that the Dodgers are “monitoring the trade market for a shortstop, mainly Milwaukee’s Willy Adames and Toronto’s Bo Bichette.” 

Dodgers Nation (no relation) also wrote about this speculation, noting that Los Angeles, like most teams, value the fact that Bichette has more than a season remaining on his contract. The article also says that the Jays have underperformed in recent seasons, so trading Bichette may be a way of shaking things up.

More at link

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/the-2023-toronto-blue-jays-report-cards-relief-pitchers/ar-AA1kcaIg?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=f51182871f6443dbdf659c43e83782ab&ei=11

The 2023 Blue Jays bullpen was somewhat of a rollercoaster. The beginning of the season brought hesitance and anxiety each time the bullpen doors opened. We never knew what we would get every time the starter handed the ball off and a reliever took the hill. As the year went along, the pieces fell into place and Toronto’s pen became deep and diverse. How did these pitchers rank? Let’s take a look at Toronto’s most utilized relievers. 

Hey friends, I hate the possibility of losing some of the Jays this offseason.

Chapman - tip top tailors on defense, and I feel like he can come back to how well he was hitting early in 2023.

Merrifield - CRIMINALLY underused this season. He is definitely outta here but I wish things could go another way. I would make this stud my longterm 2nd baseman. I don't think Davis Schneids has staying power.

Belt - I don't care about this guy actually, get what you can for him and bring Rowdy back as backup 1st.

What are people saying about Manoah in here? It's like 130 AM, I'm not reading all of this.

6 hours ago, Colonial Dee said:

Hey friends, I hate the possibility of losing some of the Jays this offseason.

Chapman - tip top tailors on defense, and I feel like he can come back to how well he was hitting early in 2023.

Merrifield - CRIMINALLY underused this season. He is definitely outta here but I wish things could go another way. I would make this stud my longterm 2nd baseman. I don't think Davis Schneids has staying power.

Belt - I don't care about this guy actually, get what you can for him and bring Rowdy back as backup 1st.

What are people saying about Manoah in here? It's like 130 AM, I'm not reading all of this.

There are a ton of clickbait baseball stories out there....mainly because the Jays have made zero moves and the writers need to do something. So far it's been a bunch of articles about players Totonto is kicking the tires on, or that the writer thinks might be a fit. There's basically no real stories out there.

With Chapman and Merrifield (and Kiermaier and Belt, for that matter) the Jays' hands were tied. This year's Qualifying Offer for pending free agents was just over $20 million. The only player they made that offer to was Chapman, but because of a relatively weak free agent pool this year, it was pretty much guaranteed that he'd turn it down and try and cash in. The main reason they made the QO, was because they get a compensatory draft pick if Chapman signs elsewhere.

As good as Merrifield was for the Jays, there was no way the Jays were going to offer him that much money. They'll rely on guys like Biggio and Schneider to play 2nd and look at adding an impact bat (preferably a lefty) at one opf the corner outfield spots and/or DH.

The Jays are open to moving Manoah, because starting pitching is seen as an area of strength. That being said, his trade value is about as low as it can be, so it's hard to see them moving him.....unless some team out there really over values him. At this point, we don't know if Manoah just had one of those years and will revert to form next season, or if he's the second coming of Ricky Romero.

My guess is that he'll start the season as the Jays' 5th starter and will be given every opportunity to regain his 2022 form.

Getting back to the "clickbait" articles, we've seen "reports" that the Jays are in on Shohei Ohtani, but I'm extremely skeptical. He signed with the Angels in the first place, because he wanted to be on the west coast. Updated reports have stated that he's less concerned about that than he was, (the new priority seems to be a chance to win) but there are teams out west who would have to be considered contenders. The Dodgers and Mariners come to mind right away....

Personally, the guy I'd love to see come to T.O is Cody Bellinger. He's a lefty with a ton of power and an excellent outfielder. He'd be super expensive, but he checks every box.

Of course, these are the Jays and I don't expect them to land either of the big fish. I expect they'll sign an outfielder and an infielder with power and try and boost the offense "by committee". It remains to be seen if that will be enough....

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I bet he is.

Let's bring DeJong back too.

Edited by Colonial Dee

Yeah, hard "No" on Josh Donaldson. He can't stay healthy and he can't hit much when he is....

BTW: The latest on the Ohtani rumor mill says the Mariners are out. (Reports say the expected salary "doesn't fit" within the M's plans) Of course, that could just be gamesmanship, as it's hard to imagine a team that seems to be on the verge of being a perennial contender not being in the mix.....especially a team that Ohtani's hero played for....

The other rumor I saw has the Cubs as the new front runner.....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, hard "No" on Josh Donaldson. He can't stay healthy and he can't hit much when he is....

BTW: The latest on the Ohtani rumor mill says the Mariners are out. (Reports say the expected salary "doesn't fit" within the M's plans) Of course, that could just be gamesmanship, as it's hard to imagine a team that seems to be on the verge of being a perennial contender not being in the mix.....especially a team that Ohtani's hero played for....

The other rumor I saw has the Cubs as the new front runner.....

Sounds like he’ll fit right in 

• Cheers 1

Forget the Ohtani sweepstakes. The Jays need to be on the Soto train, with him possibly being available. It’s a risk, because of his pending UFA status in 2025, but he’s the exact player the Jays are looking for. Left-handed power bat that can protect Vlad/Bo, in the batting order.

Padres will all likelihood ask for Tiedemann, but I’m willing to ship him out for one of the best hitters in the league, especially if he re-signs. Besides it wasn’t too long ago, that the Jays had a promising young top 20 prospect, who became nothing more than an utility arm in the pen. 

Whichever the case, the Jays need to do something big and go all out within the next two years, before Vlad and Bo become free agents. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/former-blue-jays-manager-to-become-mets-bench-coach/ar-AA1knTLR?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=0c04bf960a304cb098f785eac039fca6&ei=27

"The Mets are hiring John Gibbons as their bench coach, tweets Mike Puma of the New York Post. Will Sammon and Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic first reported (X link) that the Mets were nearing agreement with Gibbons to take the position.

-------------------------------------------------------------

more at link

13 hours ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/former-blue-jays-manager-to-become-mets-bench-coach/ar-AA1knTLR?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=0c04bf960a304cb098f785eac039fca6&ei=27

"The Mets are hiring John Gibbons as their bench coach, tweets Mike Puma of the New York Post. Will Sammon and Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic first reported (X link) that the Mets were nearing agreement with Gibbons to take the position.

-------------------------------------------------------------

more at link

Always liked Gibby....

I didn't have an problem with the Jays letting him go, as I felt the team needed a new voice, but I'm happy that he got a new gig. I bit surprised that it took this long, though....

BTW: A bit under the radar is the fact that the Blue Jays have brought DeMarlo Hale back to be "Associate Manager". Sounds like insurance, in case the team falters under John Schneider....

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2023 at 2:54 AM, shiznak said:

Forget the Ohtani sweepstakes. The Jays need to be on the Soto train, with him possibly being available. It’s a risk, because of his pending UFA status in 2025, but he’s the exact player the Jays are looking for. Left-handed power bat that can protect Vlad/Bo, in the batting order.

Padres will all likelihood ask for Tiedemann, but I’m willing to ship him out for one of the best hitters in the league, especially if he re-signs. Besides it wasn’t too long ago, that the Jays had a promising young top 20 prospect, who became nothing more than an utility arm in the pen. 

Whichever the case, the Jays need to do something big and go all out within the next two years, before Vlad and Bo become free agents. 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-blue-jays-trade-padres-star-juan-soto-pros-cons-142437347.html

What do you do, send Springer back to CF?

On 11/24/2023 at 1:22 AM, Colonial Dee said:

Figure it out when the time comes, though I'd probably keep Springer as a full time DH to keep him fresh and healthy. But for a guy like Soto I'd give up any prospect and multiple of them so long as they're not named Ricky Tiedemann. 

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Figure it out when the time comes, though I'd probably keep Springer as a full time DH to keep him fresh and healthy. But for a guy like Soto I'd give up any prospect and multiple of them so long as they're not named Ricky Tiedemann. 

If the Jays somehow acquired Soto, Springer would most likely spend most games in Left....

On 11/20/2023 at 8:10 AM, RupertKBD said:

There are a ton of clickbait baseball stories out there....mainly because the Jays have made zero moves and the writers need to do something. So far it's been a bunch of articles about players Totonto is kicking the tires on, or that the writer thinks might be a fit. There's basically no real stories out there.

With Chapman and Merrifield (and Kiermaier and Belt, for that matter) the Jays' hands were tied. This year's Qualifying Offer for pending free agents was just over $20 million. The only player they made that offer to was Chapman, but because of a relatively weak free agent pool this year, it was pretty much guaranteed that he'd turn it down and try and cash in. The main reason they made the QO, was because they get a compensatory draft pick if Chapman signs elsewhere.

As good as Merrifield was for the Jays, there was no way the Jays were going to offer him that much money. They'll rely on guys like Biggio and Schneider to play 2nd and look at adding an impact bat (preferably a lefty) at one opf the corner outfield spots and/or DH.

The Jays are open to moving Manoah, because starting pitching is seen as an area of strength. That being said, his trade value is about as low as it can be, so it's hard to see them moving him.....unless some team out there really over values him. At this point, we don't know if Manoah just had one of those years and will revert to form next season, or if he's the second coming of Ricky Romero.

My guess is that he'll start the season as the Jays' 5th starter and will be given every opportunity to regain his 2022 form.

Getting back to the "clickbait" articles, we've seen "reports" that the Jays are in on Shohei Ohtani, but I'm extremely skeptical. He signed with the Angels in the first place, because he wanted to be on the west coast. Updated reports have stated that he's less concerned about that than he was, (the new priority seems to be a chance to win) but there are teams out west who would have to be considered contenders. The Dodgers and Mariners come to mind right away....

Personally, the guy I'd love to see come to T.O is Cody Bellinger. He's a lefty with a ton of power and an excellent outfielder. He'd be super expensive, but he checks every box.

Of course, these are the Jays and I don't expect them to land either of the big fish. I expect they'll sign an outfielder and an infielder with power and try and boost the offense "by committee". It remains to be seen if that will be enough....

The reason why they’ve done no moves is apparently they’ve got 50m/year put aside for othani. And the rest of their team build would depend on if they land him or not(would probably spend over budget). 
 But if they miss on ohtani, the rumour is they’ve got about 40-45m to replace Chapman, Merrifield, Kiermeir, Belt, Hicks, etc.

22 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

The reason why they’ve done no moves is apparently they’ve got 50m/year put aside for othani. And the rest of their team build would depend on if they land him or not(would probably spend over budget). 
 But if they miss on ohtani, the rumour is they’ve got about 40-45m to replace Chapman, Merrifield, Kiermeir, Belt, Hicks, etc.

Yeah, I can see teams holding off until Ohtani makes his decision. That being said, I'd hope that Atkins has asked their camp if there is a legitimate shot at landing him. Otherwise, they're just wasting time and could lose out on other options.

I'd be all in on Bellinger myself.

26 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Apparently the Jays are also looking at acquiring Lane Thomas for a package that includes Horowitz+

Considering the way the Jays historically operate, I'd say this is more realistic than Ohtani or Bellinger.

Also, as much as I love Chapman, I'd hate to see them overpay to keep him around. I think there are better ways to spend over $20 million per.....

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, I can see teams holding off until Ohtani makes his decision. That being said, I'd hope that Atkins has asked their camp if there is a legitimate shot at landing him. Otherwise, they're just wasting time and could lose out on other options.

I'd be all in on Bellinger myself.

Ohtani would be so awesome and I’m hoping we get him but I just can’t see us winning the bid.

However to your point there’s a a handful of teams in on Ohtani and lots of them will strike out. Once he signs there’s going to be a handful of teams that were willing to spend 500+ million that now need to change to plan B. Most likely ramping up the bidding process for Bellinger and other top pitchers. Bellinger would be crazy to sign before Ohtani. Doing so he’d be eliminating himself from the heavy bidders driving up his price trying to at least get their plan B.

• Cheers 1