Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

He gets to stay put and still be on the Pacific. Plus in LA he is just another star, and unrecognizable to non baseball fans. In Toronto he would be the biggest star in town and his privacy would be difficult to keep. Now when the Dogers play in Seattle we can go see Ohtani and not have to compete for tickets with all the BlueJay fans.

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Dang once looked at as favourites for Ohtani and Soto lol. Here’s hoping they spend some money and please not on Chapman his bat is so frustrating.

Could land Bellinger (weeds legal in Canada). We had the unicorn for 1 day. Soto could be signed next off-season, maybe. 

I would like Belli and Soler plus someone to play 3rd. 

6 minutes ago, jannick_handsome said:

He gets to stay put and still be on the Pacific. Plus in LA he is just another star, and unrecognizable to non baseball fans. In Toronto he would be the biggest star in town and his privacy would be difficult to keep. Now when the Dogers play in Seattle we can go see Ohtani and not have to compete for tickets with all the BlueJay fans.

He was never coming to Canada. It was likely all angling for more money from either the Angels, Dodgers or Giants. Dodgers give him the best chance to win now. He deferred money, so they can bring in players. 

16 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The free agent class is heavily tilted towards pitchers. They'd have to over pay to get Bellinger. 36 year old JD Martinez is out there as is 39 year old Justin Turner. Oddly enough Lourdes Gurriel Jr and Teoscar Hernandez are also free agents. Though they'd probably tell the Jays to piss off.

With Shohei gone, this free agent class is hot trash.

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Might be able to bring them back if you fire Shatkins though, which needs to be done before these idiots waste Vladdy and Bo.

Vladdy is starting to look wasted already, IMO.  He is unhealthy and undisciplined.  It's led to some really bad numbers and a lot of missed games due to poor fitness.  Look at these whiff rates on fucking fastballs.  He used to obliterate them.

image.png.b76e19b4153674330be985d1c3d9051f.png

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

$700 million USD can buy you alot of Sushi and Sapporo. 

In fact, he could probably buy the Vancouver Canucks. Wasn’t Nintendo the owner of the Mariners for awhile? 

Once Ichiro left Seattle (the first time), Nintendo got out of that as soon as they could.  They still have a 10% stake in them.  Good business.

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Dang once looked at as favourites for Ohtani and Soto lol. Here’s hoping they spend some money and please not on Chapman his bat is so frustrating.

We were never favourites for Soto, and the Yankees paid a heavy price for him.  Chapman's bat is indeed infuriating, but can you name a better 3B available right now?  Nothing comes close.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

With Shohei gone, this free agent class is hot trash.

Vladdy is starting to look wasted already, IMO.  He is unhealthy and undisciplined.  It's led to some really bad numbers and a lot of missed games due to poor fitness.  Look at these whiff rates on fucking fastballs.  He used to obliterate them.

image.png.b76e19b4153674330be985d1c3d9051f.png

Once Ichiro left Seattle (the first time), Nintendo got out of that as soon as they could.  They still have a 10% stake in them.  Good business.

We were never favourites for Soto, and the Yankees paid a heavy price for him.  Chapman's bat is indeed infuriating, but can you name a better 3B available right now?  Nothing comes close.

I'd love to see Chapman back, guys a stud 3B. Sure the bat is hot and cold but whatever, he's not really there to bat 5th. Well under most managers.

Interesting to see what cooks on the trade front now. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I'd love to see Chapman back, guys a stud 3B. Sure the bat is hot and cold but whatever, he's not really there to bat 5th. Well under most managers.

Interesting to see what cooks on the trade front now. 

No, it won't be.  The Blue Jays are in a massive rut with an underperforming squad that predictably crumbled in the playoffs.

• ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

then blow er up 

Not that either.  They put too much money into renovations and marketing.  The Jays are big business now.  But they're also super mediocre despite the large payroll.

They are likely going to do what I predicted in October: nothing.

24 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Not that either.  They put too much money into renovations and marketing.  The Jays are big business now.  But they're also super mediocre despite the large payroll.

They are likely going to do what I predicted in October: nothing.

Tbh why not blow it up and rebuild quickly? Vladdy and Bo would fetch a ton.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Tbh why not blow it up and rebuild quickly? Vladdy and Bo would fetch a ton.

Clean out the front office too.  I have zero faith in Atkins and Shapiro turning this team into a contender.  You can't win a championship in baseball winning 2-1 all the time.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Wilbur said:

Clean out the front office too.  I have zero faith in Atkins and Shapiro turning this team into a contender.  You can't win a championship in baseball winning 2-1 all the time.

I wonder now psychologically being a loser in the Ohtani bid, if the team can recover. Going for big game and losing is pretty demoralizing. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder now psychologically being a loser in the Ohtani bid, if the team can recover. Going for big game and losing is pretty demoralizing. 

I have my doubts.  This team cannot manufacture runs if its life depended on it.  Soon the pitching will buckle under the weight of having to allow 1 run or less and we'll have a team that Bo can't get away from fast enough.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This just in.  Jays counter offer with 800 million over 10 years.

Probably how the Dodgers got to $ 700 million.   They saw thousands of people set to track a plane from LA to TO.  They went, get his agent on the phone,  we're adding a $ 100 million or so.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Probably how the Dodgers got to $ 700 million.   They saw thousands of people set to track a plane from LA to TO.  They went, get his agent on the phone,  we're adding a $ 100 million or so.   

Yep, Ohtani used the Jays to milk the Dodgers out of 200 more million.

I used to be neutral to the Dodgers.  They're just behind the Yankees now for teams I hate.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Dodgers must be still looking for a SS, I say trade Bo there....at least get assets out of LA  instead of them giving up no assets except a dump truck full of money in 2 years.  Trade Vladdy and Gausman to the Yankees too.  Stack those teams so badly nobody outside of LA or NY will want to go to any games, then maybe MLB might come in with something to remedy the differences in spending....who am I kidding, they only care about those two markets anyway.

I think we'd all agree the Orioles have a pretty good team....well, Ohtani's contract now pretty much equals the Baltimore Orioles entire payroll (not counting buyouts, etc of Chris Davis and a few others no longer on the roster). 

A lot of tinfoil conspiracies theory out there on Twitter. Saying the Jays deal was actually a done deal, but Ohtani’s camp/MLB purposely leaked out false information in order to sabotage Ohtani’s chances to sign with the Jays. Forcing the Dodgers to make a final offer. There’s a theory out there that the MLB wanted no part of Ohtani going to Canada.  

Also Robert Herjavec, the guy on the plane that was suppose to carry Ohtani. Is actually a good friend with Ohtani’s agent.

5 minutes ago, shiznak said:

A lot of tinfoil conspiracies theory out there on Twitter. Saying the Jays deal was actually a done deal, but Ohtani’s camp/MLB purposely leaked out false information in order to sabotage Ohtani’s chances to sign with the Jays. Forcing the Dodgers to make a final offer. There’s a theory out there that the MLB wanted no part of Ohtani going to Canada.  

Also Robert Herjavec, the guy on the plane that was suppose to carry Ohtani. Is actually a good friend with Ohtani’s agent.

Doesn't Ohtani still get the final say at the end of the day tho? So if he wanted to come here, he still could've despite what was leaked and what the MLB wants?

Seeing Ohtani going from LA to LA is just blegh. If it wasn't the Blue Jays, would've love to see him anywhere out of LA (but no Yankees or Red Sox).